Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steering Rack

Steering Rack

So after a couple of months thinking I had a bad FCA or FCAB, I just took the car to get properly inspected and I have a bad steering rack. Control arms and bushings are all good.

I was offered a new rack for $380.00, but its a "German replacement" and the store says they have had really good results. Or $1,100 for the original. My question is, what should I do? I am not in the mood of spending so much on it. But then again, I like to keep my ZHP with the little things that make it different form the normal 330i.

What should I do?

Thanks!

EDIT: I know there are tons of threads on this, I just could not find them. Dont know why.
    Juan Luis

2003 Imola Red Sedan

Exactly why is the rack bad? What are the symptoms?

I took the car over for a rattle/clunk when going slowly over holes and stuff, also it would do the same rattle/clunk when stopping or taking off (not always), and I also noticed that the car was very hesitant to change lanes, i have to keep both my hands in the steering wheel at highway speeds only taking my right hand off to shift. But I thought it was due having all M3 sway bars.

After lifting the car we saw that the steering rack has a broken boot (no biggy) but it also has a rotational movement on the rod, and something that is not supposed to move, moves. I dont know anything about steering racks. Basically he was able to recreate the rattle/clunk by just moving the a rod on the rack.
    Juan Luis

2003 Imola Red Sedan

My advice is to first look real close at the guibo. That may solve all your problems. I thought my rack was bad. Turned out to only be the guibo.

Maybe the tie rods are shot too... I'd get a 2nd, and a 3rd opinion, on such a major part.
    Alex'16 Melbourne Red 328d Touring
    M Sport + M Performance Package

Gone, but not forgotten: '03 Imola Red 330i ZHP - 6MT

Can you get a vid of this sound? maybe holding your smart phone near your open window as you go over the speed bumps?
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT. Built 11-19-04. Bought 4-2012.
    Stock: Nav, leather, PDC, Xenon
    Added by me: OEM Alarm, OEM heated seats, OEM aux kit, OEM Bluetooth, intravee, M3 strut brace, BMW Performance Intake, Nappa leather arm rest, updated LCM (triple blink, euro hazards, trifecta lighting, 3 stage brakes), temp gauge

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalZman View Post
    Can you get a vid of this sound? maybe holding your smart phone near your open window as you go over the speed bumps?
    Ill try that later today. Ill let you know how that goes lol
    Juan Luis

2003 Imola Red Sedan

Mileage on car?

I would be incredibly suspect of a failed steering rack. What evidence did they give you? I have customers with over 300k miles on e46s and their steering racks are still holding up properly.

Steering rack should outlast the life of the car. Only exemptions would be those that ran with no/dirty PS fluid for an extended period of time.

From a GS3, this was sent.
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

One ride and you'll understand why most rocket scientists are German.

My ZHP Build 2004-2014 RIP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast