Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I've got some yellow lamin-x type of film coming too. I may do the high beams but wanted it reversible just in case I didn't like it.

Expect a write up on that.

Show us your yellow fogs. Show us your Frenched headlights.

Quote Originally Posted by BRGcoopahS View Post
    Old french cars have yellow headlights... what else would it mean?

no need to call me a dummy after you complimented my car.
    Nooooo.... I was saying that even after you posted about a Citreon, I still didn't really get it. I didn't know it was a French car... I was referring to myself as the dummy!! And yes I do love your interior!

Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    "Frenched" lights come from the aftermath of World War 1. Before the construction of the giant waste of money known as the Maginot Line, the French government in their associated paranoia required all French registered vehicles to be equipped with lights of a yellow hue. In their logic, if the Germans tried to cross the border in their vehicles equipped with white colored lamps it would be easy to tell. It didn't quite work as well as they thought (kinda like the Maginot). The law was not changed until 1993 when France joined the European Union, and since then no production cars are equipped with yellow lamps as a standard item.
    You can always count on JP for the history lesson... Your knowledge of vintage BMW (and other cars!) really impresses me... Thanks for the explanation... I now know something new... And knowing is half the battle!
    2011 E90 Lemans Blue/Bamboo Beige M3- Harrop Supercharged IG: lmb_zcp
    2013 F25 Alpine White/Chestnut X3 35i- Family Hauler
    2006 R53 British Racing Green/Panther Black Mini Cooper S FOR SALE! DM for details!
    Past: 2010 X5M, 2014 328d, 2003 330i ZHP, 2004 330i ZHP, 2012 X3 35i
    WTB!! 2009-2012 E91 328i Touring Contact me with info!

Quote Originally Posted by JupiterBMW View Post
    Nooooo.... I was saying that even after you posted about a Citreon, I still didn't really get it. I didn't know it was a French car... I was referring to myself as the dummy!! And yes I do love your interior!
    ooooohhhh...... I guess we're both dummys.
    2006 MINI Cooper S SOLD
    http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...-MINI-Cooper-S
    2006 ZHP 330CiC

I too like the history and had no clue it was due to the war. That's cool info.

Botond, you made me want city lights..

Look what showed up today.

While I see the sources (wiki and others) that describe the yellow lights in France in response to military demands I am not so sure it is true.

I grew up there, and France was the only place that had those lights. So much so that I could tell we would be home when coming back from a trip to Germany, Spain or England at night. One thing that was obvious was that the occasional British car for example, would always blind my dad, and he would swear at those drivers with these insanely bright white lights.

I thought it was safety and visibility. My dad always told me that the yellow hue was far superior in fog, causing less blinding reflections. Also, i remember people saying that the contrast was always better at night. BTW the highway signs in France are still blue (while they are green everywhere else in Europe). Yellow light on blue sign = high contrast.

Other tidbit, my dad did a lot of night driving and he had a purple light in the cabin (almost black light-like) which he said helped with the light from oncoming cars.

Now with xenons, I am the one saying damn, turn your lights down, they hurt my eyes.

I still like yellow lights but I have to admit, they do appear a bit dim 30 years later.
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

Today at work. A sweet BMW.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363968417.363310.jpg
Views: 721
Size:  264.1 KB

nice 535is!

Me thinks I'll have to change the corners out.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast