Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Lean codes, fuel delivery issues?

As most of you know, I swapped out my stock 2.5 liter for a 3.0 back in December. I have not been able to track down the source of my lean running condition. I've got the classic "lean bank one, lean bank two" with misfires across the board codes. My symptoms are, crappy throttle response, surging idle when slowing down and sometimes at a stop, stuttering on light acceleration, and low idle. The engine that I installed had the matching intake manifold along with injectors and fuel rail.
    So far I have:
    Flashed the DME three times with different programming
    Changed the fuel pump and filter
    Ran several courses of Lucas injector cleaner
    Done an ether vacuum leak test
    Cleaned and changed the ICV several times

All of the following parts are new that I replaced on install of the engine:
    DISA valve
    Upper and lower intake boot
    MAF sensor
    Both pre-cat O2 sensors
    NGK laser platinum plugs
    VANOS seals
    All major gaskets
    PCV valve
    Throttle body and gasket
    All vacuum hoses
    M3 timing chain tensioner
    Oil pump nut
    Front and rear shaft seals

What should I try next? It seems like it really is running lean and not just the computer saying so. Could I have some trash in the fuel rail? I'm thinking about pulling the fuel hose loose at the outlet side of the filter and blowing air through from the fron of the fuel rail. I'm at a bit of a loss here.

Sent from my yet to be hacked GS3.
    19" VMR VB3 CSL reps w/ General G-Max 3 A/S, BMW Performance short throw shifter, CDV delete, M54B30 swap, and a redneck CAI.

CCV hoses? I see you said valve, but did you re-use old hoses?

I'd assume, based on symptoms you have a vacuum leak somewhere. Have you done any smoke testing yet?

Is there a way to test the brake booster... if you pump your brake pedal (multiple times fast) at idle does the idle change? Also, is there a valve between the booster and the vacuum lines?

Is the fuel pressure regulator on the filter set at a different level on the 325 vs 330? Stock filter may be downsizing the fuel you need? This is just completely out of left field but something that popped into my head.

'01 330i

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_B View Post
    CCV hoses? I see you said valve, but did you re-use old hoses?

I'd assume, based on symptoms you have a vacuum leak somewhere. Have you done any smoke testing yet?
    I gave the CCV hoses a pretty good inspection before I reused them. There could be one with an issue. I'll have to light a cigar early on Sunday and smoke test the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnmadd View Post
    Is there a way to test the brake booster... if you pump your brake pedal (multiple times fast) at idle does the idle change? Also, is there a valve between the booster and the vacuum lines?
    I don't think there is a problem involving the brake vacuum lines but, I'm going to get someone to help with that while I'm smoking on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerWill View Post
    Is the fuel pressure regulator on the filter set at a different level on the 325 vs 330? Stock filter may be downsizing the fuel you need? This is just completely out of left field but something that popped into my head.
    I had that thought as well but, they run the same filter/regulator.
    19" VMR VB3 CSL reps w/ General G-Max 3 A/S, BMW Performance short throw shifter, CDV delete, M54B30 swap, and a redneck CAI.

I'm still thinking brake booster related.

Sent from my kick-A Galaxy S3
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Brake vac lines seem suspect as is the CCVV.

The vac lines have a one way valve that mounts to the manifokd and runs to the F connection on the intake boot and the lower end atraches beneath the throttle body. That vac line should be remoced and thoroughly inspected and all mounting points cleaned.

If the CCVV is original to the chassis, replace it with a new one.

Inspect the SAP and valve that mounts to the head. Bad hoses will allow condensation build up and rust the pump and valve. The vac lines that run behind the manifold have one purpose; provide positive vacuum to the pump. Inspect the lines AND check valve that mounts on the back of the manifold.

Only other option left could be a faulty MAF...But you bought that new unused.

Best of luck, Kyle.

From a GS3, this was sent.
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

One ride and you'll understand why most rocket scientists are German.

My ZHP Build 2004-2014 RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Hornung418 View Post
    Brake vac lines seem suspect as is the CCVV.

The vac lines have a one way valve that mounts to the manifokd and runs to the F connection on the intake boot and the lower end atraches beneath the throttle body. That vac line should be remoced and thoroughly inspected and all mounting points cleaned.

If the CCVV is original to the chassis, replace it with a new one.

Inspect the SAP and valve that mounts to the head. Bad hoses will allow condensation build up and rust the pump and valve. The vac lines that run behind the manifold have one purpose; provide positive vacuum to the pump. Inspect the lines AND check valve that mounts on the back of the manifold.

Only other option left could be a faulty MAF...But you bought that new unused.

Best of luck, Kyle.

From a GS3, this was sent.
    The CCV is brand new and all of the vacuum lines run behind and around the head are new, as well. I'll go through all of my vacuum lines again and smoke test it this weekend.

I built a smoke tester and checked out my car yesterday. There were no leaks to be found. I called my neighnor over to check out the contraption. After messing with it and not finding anything, we brainstormed amd decided it may be a DOA MAF. I ran around with it unplugged today and it runs better. Going to be calling ECS Tuning, where I ordered it, and seeing about a warranty exchange. I really believe that is the issue. Thoughts?

I've understood it as this.

Car running, unplug MAF. If no change in idle, then the MAF is done for.

I tested this too when checking my lean codes. As I pulled MAF connector, car almost died and gave me 2 additional codes.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast