Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    No, the clutch doesn't slip.

Keep in mind, it doesn't turn over at all. Turn the key, and nothing. No dimming of the lights, no click, no attempt to spin from the starter. Press the clutch a few times, jiggle the gear selector and magically when it feels like it fires up.

First thing in the morning, during the day, right after I just ran into the store. No pattern.

Really puzzling. Not knowing these cars all so well, it reminds me on a Honda of the EFI Main relay when it's going out. One thing I will look for next time I start, or it acts up is if the fuel pump primes. I assume that does that in position II of the ignition?

Thanks for the help too BTW.

Sounds like the clutch switch to me. It's a little switch that the clutch pedal arm hits when it's fully depressed. You can see it under the dash above the pedal. You can use your meter to test it
    2006 CiC 6MT
    ZHP, Cold Weather, Xenon
    Sapphire Black / Black Leather / Black Cube

Quote Originally Posted by wsmeyer View Post
    Sounds like the clutch switch to me. It's a little switch that the clutch pedal arm hits when it's fully depressed. You can see it under the dash above the pedal. You can use your meter to test it
    Any idea's what the voltages should read open and closed? Easy to replace? Or Bypass?

To test you can just temporarily bypass the switch. I found a DIY with pics here:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=13691365
    2006 CiC 6MT
    ZHP, Cold Weather, Xenon

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_B View Post
    Press the clutch a few times, jiggle the gear selector and magically when it feels like it fires up.
    It's this that makes me think it's the clutch switch.

The other thing you can try is next time it doesn't start, keep holding the key in the start position and don't wiggle it or anything. While doing that, let the clutch pedal out a little and then back in a few times. If that gets it to work it's almost certainly the clutch switch.
    2006 CiC 6MT
    ZHP, Cold Weather, Xenon

Interesting thought on the leaving key in ON position and moving clutch, hadn't thought about that. I'll give it a go, and if so see how much it is to fix, and if not cost effective, then wire it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_B View Post
    Interesting thought on the leaving key in ON position and moving clutch, hadn't thought about that. I'll give it a go, and if so see how much it is to fix, and if not cost effective, then wire it.
    Well, if your turning the key back and forth and pushing the clutch pedal in and out you're essentially wiggling two switches at once as opposed to just wiggling the clutch switch via the pedal.

Personally I would bypass it and if it solves the problem I'd then order the switch.

If it doesn't fix it there's a whole list of things between the ignition switch and the starter that could have gone bad.
    2006 CiC 6MT
    ZHP, Cold Weather, Xenon

Starting concerns

next time it acts up try to rolling start it in 3rd, if still no luck then it's definitely that switch

...or you could just re-code your car for clutchless startup

Quote Originally Posted by wsmeyer View Post
    Well, if your turning the key back and forth and pushing the clutch pedal in and out you're essentially wiggling two switches at once as opposed to just wiggling the clutch switch via the pedal.

Personally I would bypass it and if it solves the problem I'd then order the switch.

If it doesn't fix it there's a whole list of things between the ignition switch and the starter that could have gone bad.
    Makes perfect sense, eliminate 2 variables.

So of course she greeted me with not wanting to start this morning. Tried leaving the key forward and pressing clutch. Repeated a few times, nothing.

Moved the selector, pressed in clutch again and she fired up.

For giggles, and to take it off the list I'm going to try to wire the switch solid and see what happens from there over a day or 2.

Dave,

Try a different key. I had the exact same issue at the beginning of the year. I tried EVERYTHING and yielded no results. Finally it hit me that the EWS and key might've not been communicating properly. Don't be fooled if the fob unlocks the doors, mine did the same yet still did not start the car. It's a weird scenario. I didn't drive the car for two days for something so simple.

Good luck buddy. For my ZHP running again last night

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast