Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Wow. I cant wait to read and digest the entire post, but a cursory review leaves me thoroughly impressed.
    "No, Donny, these men are nihilists, there's nothing to be afraid of"

09 135i Msport 6mt
    04 330i ZHP (sold)
    David

Stickied.

Sent from the HTC DNA, Williamsburg, VA and USA
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Good stuff. Thank you for this.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    In the market for an E90 M3

Excellent write up- i have assembled most of the parts to replace my clutch and flywheel, and your DIY will be incredibly helpful to read before, and as reference during the swap .... Many Thanks!!!!!

Awesome DIY! Thank you for taking the time to write this up!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

'01 330i

Holly mother of pearl, that is a great DIY. Thanks!
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

One awesome write up. Thanks for taking the time to document the work for us.

Awesome. Thanks for the write-up and nice DIY

Quote Originally Posted by lkstaack View Post
    Clutch Review

The clutch is performing as I anticipated. On the plus side, the engine revs up quicker when accelerating, the shifts are smooth, and the clutch engages like a boss (I’m waiting on break-in completion before I do a hard launch). Also, it doesn't require a higher RPM when starting in first. On the neutral side, required clutch pedal effort is much greater, almost twice as stiff as stock. I suspect the clamping force is commensurate (it’s a Sachs pressure plate). On the negative side, the clutch chatters, particularly when backing up. I have been told that the chattering will diminish with time. There is a strong clutch smell when I slip the clutch when backing up to minimize the chatter. There is a slight gear box rattle when in neutral with the clutch out, louder when the air conditioning is on. That is to be expected from a light weight flywheel.
    Here is some feedback on my UUC 6-Speed clutch and light weight flywheel after 4,000 miles on it. I don't like it and wish I spent the extra money for the stock clutch/flywheel.

The clutch still chatters. It chatters when you start off, when you downshift, and especially when you back up. I usually slip the clutch heavily when backing up to prevent the loud chattering and vibration; however, then you get burnt clutch smell. I guess some people don't mind a chattering clutch; perhaps it reminds them they have a performance car. But it's embarrassing to me and my wife and daughter hate it.

I don't know why the UUC clutch chatters so much. I installed one on my E36 M3 and it didn't chatter at all. I asked a tech from a local BMW speed shop, and he replied that their shop has installed hundreds of UUC clutches on E46's and they all chatter.

I also get the lightweight flywheel rattle. I used UUC's recommendation of a gear oil cocktail to prevent the rattle, and for the most part it works. However, the rattle comes on loud when you are in neutral with the air conditioning on. It is also evident when the transmission is very hot.

One of the advantages of the lightweight flywheel is that rev-matching / double-clutching is much easier now. Which is good, because I have to rev-match almost every time I downshift now to prevent the chatter and heavy vibration that comes with downshifting with the UUC clutch.

The other advantage is that it has much greater clamping force than the stock pressure plate. It holds the extra HP and spins the tires rather than the clutch. However, the extra clamping force is at the expense of a heavier clutch. It's not that bad, but it definitely works out the left leg if you get stuck in rush hour traffic. It is really a pain in stop and go traffic.

So in hind sight, I shouldn't have installed a lightweight flywheel. I should have stayed stock. A stock clutch may not have as much clamping force, but it is much more civilized.

Great info. Thanks.
    In the market for an E90 M3

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast