Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Canon DSLRs, where to buy??

Ok everyone, I know this is ANOTHER camera thread... With our tax return on its way, the lady and I have decided its time to buy a new camera. She wants to get into photography for friends/family, mostly shooting babies and kids, and I'd like to get into it for shooting nature and cars... We have been pretty settled on the Canon 60D. I've read a lot that many people outgrow the Rebels, even at the amateur level. While I don't see that happening for quite some time, I don't want to run into that... We don't plan to buy another camera for quite awhile, if ever, so I want to make sure that we get something that we can learn and grow with for a LONG time. Of course, that being said, I've been reading a lot about a new 70D being released at the end of next week. So, now I'm kind of wanting to see a list of specs on that model to see if I should wait. I like the weather sealing of the 7D (question if that will be the case with the 70D), but we really want the vari-angle LCD of the 60D (also reported to be possible on the new 70D). Of course, the 60D is also much more budget friendly...

So my main question, where do you all prefer to purchase from? Am I safe buying either of these models from the big stores (Best Buy, Costco, etc??) or should I look to smaller photography retailers? Also, what about purchasing online through Amazon?? I honestly don't use Amazon that much...

I do know that I need to look at the lenses that may or may not be offered in the bundles. I've been reading quite a bit about the lens designations and I will make sure to select the best package based on lenses. I'm thinking for now we'll go with a 17-85mm for all around shooting, work on other stuff later. But aside from lenses and package deals, where is the best place to shop or the best deal to find??

And also, what do all of you know about this new 70D? Anyone have any more info than the "rumor reports" that I find when searching online?? If it is truly a replacement, I think I might want to wait for it...

Aaaaaaaaaand discuss. Thanks in advance folks!
    2011 E90 Lemans Blue/Bamboo Beige M3- Harrop Supercharged IG: lmb_zcp
    2013 F25 Alpine White/Chestnut X3 35i- Family Hauler
    2006 R53 British Racing Green/Panther Black Mini Cooper S FOR SALE! DM for details!
    Past: 2010 X5M, 2014 328d, 2003 330i ZHP, 2004 330i ZHP, 2012 X3 35i
    WTB!! 2009-2012 E91 328i Touring Contact me with info!

Amazon, Costco, and B&H (online) are always good places to look. The only issue with Costco is that they tend to come in "kits", which if fine if that's what you want, but eventually you might want "better" lenses so piecing it together my be best (depending on how you want to use it). Sorry I can't be more help than that as I don't know Canon that well.
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

So regarding cameras and such. It would seem that canon has been tailoring their equipment more to be lightweight and not as durable as previous models however they have had increase the chips inside of the unit. The 60D is a great camera for overall uses such as recording and photography. I would almost consider it as the new amateur/professional camera actually. As far as body goes for me it's about how it feels in my hands and where the button lay out is. In terms of quality and shooting I would say it really depends on the lens that you have to use with it. One of the first lens I picked up was a 50mm 1.8 which range about $100. Great small prime lens that does a lot. I'm sure the wife would really like that lens as it keeps the weigh of the camera and the lens to a minimum. Prime lens do get expensive quick though :P

In terms as answering your question about where to purchase it I would say anywhere really. Canon always warranty their cameras or repair them if you send it to them. This also includes the lens. So even if you buy things used they will still work on fixing them. I would say to keep on checking slickdeals and other deal sites to purchase everything. I know photography is big down in FL so maybe you can score something on craigslist. Just make sure that it is the right camera though. There is a few models of the 60 so you wouldn't want to mix them up. Good luck! Feel free to text me if anything else.

Tony's ZHP "Wulf" '03 Silver Gray | Valentine 1 Radar Detector| Alcantara | BMW Performance Intake | F10 M5 Knob | Auto-dim Retrofit | BMW Alarm | Performance Grilles | OEM Roof Rack | Rain Light Sensor Retrofit | Eonon D5150 Head Unit | BMW OEM Clear Lens

We have some great affiliate links for camera supplies as well
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

If I may take the thread sideways a bit, I just started to look for a "more advanced amateur camera" myself and was advised to look at the new, mirrorless cameras. They seem to be considerably less pricey and lighter while having larger sensors (than compact cameras) and interchangable lenses like the true DSLRs. My main question is at this point whether they are fast enough (lag-time -wise) for photographing active children?
    Anybody have some experience?

I am assuming you are talking about the micro 4/3rds? The point and shoot with interchangeable lenses?

IMO I feel that they are still on the beginning stages of development still and won't be use for higher end production/studio use for some time. I suppose I am also waiting till canon or nikon develops their own is worth it to me.

Tony's ZHP "Wulf" '03 Silver Gray | Valentine 1 Radar Detector| Alcantara | BMW Performance Intake | F10 M5 Knob | Auto-dim Retrofit | BMW Alarm | Performance Grilles | OEM Roof Rack | Rain Light Sensor Retrofit | Eonon D5150 Head Unit | BMW OEM Clear Lens

Quote Originally Posted by Tnhl1989 View Post
    I am assuming you are talking about the micro 4/3rds? The point and shoot with interchangeable lenses?

IMO I feel that they are still on the beginning stages of development still and won't be use for higher end production/studio use for some time. I suppose I am also waiting till canon or nikon develops their own is worth it to me.
    Nikon has a competing system and they are not really designed for the pro's looking for full frame etc. I have a generation old olympus pen and am very happy with the camera and lens options. yes I could have gone dslr... but my equivalent setup would weigh 4x as much. body and 5 lenses and filters etc.. i would not discount the current generation of micro 4/3rds which is an olympus/panasonic offering. lenes are interchangeable between the 2 mfgs. i have 2 panny/leitz lenes and 3 olympus ones.
    Jon D -- 04 330cic Imola Red ZHP Vert -- Active Autowerke Exhaust, Software remap & Strut Bar, K&N filter, custom stereo[Alpine head unit (CDA105) w/Sirius Radio, Iphone integration & Alpine amp (PDX-5), Hertz speakers (165.3 F, 130.3R), JL Sub(CS110RG -W 1v2)], Color match grills, tint all around for when the tops up, custom painted 135s

Other Cars
    2014 Audi SQ5 2015 GMC Canyon All Terrain

Quote Originally Posted by JupiterBMW View Post
    Ok everyone, I know this is ANOTHER camera thread... With our tax return on its way, the lady and I have decided its time to buy a new camera.
    With new camera comes new tech, not necessarily better for particular purposes. You're lucky that you are now at the buying point and can wait for the imminent release of the new Canon before making your choice. I have the 17-85 and it's a very good all-around lens for a crop-factor camera. If I had to do it again, I would have socked away more bucks and gotten the 24-105L and 17-40L. Of course, budget and timing govern choices.

As for where to get your camera, I can recommend Unique Photo in NJ. They have awesome service and competitive prices. As with other "mail-order" places, you save on the sales tax when shipped to FL.

Good luck with figuring out "best" camera for you. Regardless, you'll be getting great equipment to learn on and to take your photos/videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Tnhl1989 View Post

I was thinking of the likes of Canon EOS M or the Nikon V2 or the Sony Alpha series. From what I read I'm not sure they like to be called point and shoot but I don't know enough about them or DSLRs in general.

I'd look for a used one on Craigslist. And I'd look for a good deal with the highest likelihood of being able to resell it in 6 months or so and get my money back more than a specific camera.

IMO you can do all the research you want but until you actually start taking pictures I'd put the odds of you choosing the wrong camera at about 70%. Every camera / lens combination has it's strengths and weaknesses and until you really start shooting and figuring out what type of pictures you enjoy taking it's going to be very hard to weigh all the compromises.
    2006 CiC 6MT
    ZHP, Cold Weather, Xenon
    Sapphire Black / Black Leather / Black Cube

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast