Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

If I were to fix all oil leaks and prevent future ones, which seals/gaskets/clamps would you replace?

So now that I think I'm over my starting issue, I'm seeing the tell tale signs of oil leaks with drops being present on my garage floor.

I'm already factoring in the OFHG, VCG but trying to determine which others should be done, while I'm there.

Pan Gasket? PS lines? Anywhere else? I'll try to gather some pics later if I can of where my leak is. Def. drivers side and likely the OFHG is the main culprit. But if I'm already in there doing these things... I'd like to get all of them done.

Also, on all of these. OEM BMW parts only? German OE parts?

On the preventative. I'm at 142k miles and climbing. I'm sure she's due for some that may not be leaking yet, but are common to do so.

I would just do VCG (do plugs, and VANOS), and OFHG. I would not do PS, or pan gasket "preventatively"...but that's me.

Victor Reinz should be fine on VCG (or BMW) and I think I just got the BMW gasket for OFHG.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

DW, just to clarify... you wouldn't do it because of cost? Time to get it done? Difficulty?

I go on 2 week rotations at my office and have a work vehicle during that time. So I can have the car down for 2 weeks at a time.

@ Vanos. Besian systems. PN BS001 for seals and BS002 for rattle kit?

Dave, while doing OFHG, replace VANOS oil line, 2 bolts, and 4 crush washers. It's around $45 for everything, but if it's not already leaking now, chances are it'll start soon.

VANOS Oil Line - Cohline #11361705532
    Bolts - BMW #32416852469 x2
    Crush Washers - Victor Reinz #32411093596 x4

Re VANOS, you can do Dr. Vanos too. Mine was done by PO and that was the company they used. Car runs perfectly.

PS lines: trim and reclamp at reservoir. Replace reservoir cap o-ring. Cost: 2 universal clamps and $1 for o-ring (BMW #32411128333). Flush the fluid with any synthetic Dex 4 ATF while doing that, it's way more convenient with the hoses off the reservoir.
    Alex'16 Melbourne Red 328d Touring
    M Sport + M Performance Package

Gone, but not forgotten: '03 Imola Red 330i ZHP - 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_B View Post
    DW, just to clarify... you wouldn't do it because of cost? Time to get it done? Difficulty?

I go on 2 week rotations at my office and have a work vehicle during that time. So I can have the car down for 2 weeks at a time.

@ Vanos. Besian systems. PN BS001 for seals and BS002 for rattle kit?
    Cost Vs. Benefit is low Imho.

Sent from the HTC DNA, Williamsburg, VA and USA
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Oil pan at RealOEM is 48. ECS has it for $27.

I can't imagine PS lines are terribly expensive.

Time? Pain in the A$$? Those I'm not so much worried about. My "sanction" is my garage if you will.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_B View Post
    Oil pan at RealOEM is 48. ECS has it for $27.

I can't imagine PS lines are terribly expensive.

Time? Pain in the A$$? Those I'm not so much worried about. My "sanction" is my garage if you will.
    They have very low failure rates on e46, and even then, failure is typically a drip, that can be a future repair.

But...

OMG... If you must.... Just dhu eet!

Sent from the HTC DNA, Williamsburg, VA and USA

PS lines are quite expensive, and you need a special tool to unclamp them. Most frequent drip location is at the reservoir, hence why I recommended new clamps and that's it. But of course... Your call
    Alex'16 Melbourne Red 328d Touring
    M Sport + M Performance Package

Gone, but not forgotten: '03 Imola Red 330i ZHP - 6MT

Agree with Dane, don't replace PS lines as PM, but do check if they're dripping. IIRC, there are 4. Two of them connect to the cooling coil and require the special disconnect tool, or creative use of multiple pliers. The high pressure line at the bottom (from pump to rack) is the most expensive and connects with one big (19mm?) banjo bolt and the other end might require a big (17mm?) flare wrench.

Autozone.com
    I know I'll take heat for suggesting it but before I'd start replacing gaskets I'd first try retorqing stuff like OFH, VC and oil pan. I guess I'm cheap but I like to keep things simple.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast