Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Halogen to Xenon in Sedan. What's needed?

So, I've been presented with an opportunity to buy Xenon headlights for CHEAP!

I'm pretty sure it's headlights and bulbs only however along with AE's.

I know I'll need ballasts, but anything else? Harnesses? Coding the car for Xenons?

This will help make my decision.

Car programming? Can it even be done?

Sent from the HTC DNA, Williamsburg, VA and USA
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

From my understanding, you can program the car for the Xenon's. There's some info out there on it.

Just want to be 100% sure what i'm getting myself into.

There is going to need some coding involved because of the Bi-Xenon actuators.

As far as to what detail, I'm not too sure.

On the E82 I know you have to change your pin out location that connects to the headlight for proper function

Project STX: TCKline Racing l APEX l Vorshlag l Eibach l Hawk l Schroth l BMW Performance

Or you can try this retrofit from e46F.

"Lapit mga kaibigan at makinig kayo, ako'y may dala-dalang balita galing sa bayan ko
    Nais kong ipamahagi ang mga kwento at mga pangyayaring nagaganap sa lupang ipinangako..."

and it depends on if you are getting xenons, or bi-xenons. are they OEM or DEPO? xenons would need error cancelling ballasts, but bi-xenons (oem) should be able to be programmed.
    "No, Donny, these men are nihilists, there's nothing to be afraid of"

09 135i Msport 6mt
    04 330i ZHP (sold)
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_B View Post
    From my understanding, you can program the car for the Xenon's. There's some info out there on it.

Just want to be 100% sure what i'm getting myself into.
    Yup, you can. You have 3 options in NCS - Halo, Xe, Bi-Xe. Make sure you're swapping in M3 AL projector housings while you're in there to avoid burnt bowls
    Last edited by alexandre; 03-21-2013 at 10:53 AM.
    Alex'16 Melbourne Red 328d Touring
    M Sport + M Performance Package

Gone, but not forgotten: '03 Imola Red 330i ZHP - 6MT

I think you need the leveling sensors on the control arm too?

Quote Originally Posted by alexandre View Post
    Yup, you can. You have 3 options in NCS - Halo, Xe, Bi-Xe. Make sure you're swapping in M3 AL projector housings while you're in there to avoid burnt bowls
    Couple corrections: Adding option code $522 will always add bixenons to a 2002+ E46. "regular" xenons were not offered at all then, thus the option code superseded it. You can recode the highbeams to the Euro settings so that the car opens both the shutters and the halogen highs at the same time -- effectively making it single xenon if you don't have shutters wired up

Any AL projectors will do. Plenty of sedans and non-M coupes got them. I personally got the AL housings for my non-M E46 from an 02 325i.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnman View Post
    and it depends on if you are getting xenons, or bi-xenons. are they OEM or DEPO? xenons would need error cancelling ballasts, but bi-xenons (oem) should be able to be programmed.
    Either can be taken care of with coding. I wouldn't bother with error cancelling ballasts at all -- they're hit or miss.

Quote Originally Posted by derbo View Post
    I think you need the leveling sensors on the control arm too?
    Autolevelling is a major PITA to retrofit. Requires you to run a couple harnesses -- not worth the effort for the minimal gain

Retrofitted mine in with no issues. Went from 2000 halogens to 2002+ Bi-xenons with minimal effort. Only challenge was wiring the shutter solenoids. I later found out that pins 2 and 36 control the shutters. Just had to run the length of wire to the actual shutters to earn the stripes.

From a GS3, this was sent.
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

One ride and you'll understand why most rocket scientists are German.

My ZHP Build 2004-2014 RIP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast