Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Cold Weather Creaking in Transmission During Engagement of Clutch

Hey All,

I don't check this often anymore due to my new work situation, but lately I've been hearing this creaking sound when I engage the clutch on a cold morning, e.g. I just started the car up, it's like 33 degrees Fahrenheit, and I'm engaging first gear to get going. The noise goes away after the RPMs go up. It's not the normal rattle in neutral at idle from the worn out flywheel. It's a real creaky sound. I can't really explain it any better.

Just wondering if anyone else has heard anything.

Pete

I have been creaking for a long time as well but mine is not at all weather or temperature related. I think it is part of the fork/ throwout bearing engagement mechanism. It creaks pushing clutch in and out.

Do you also hear the sound with the engine off?
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

Haha I have that sound already. That one is just a normal creak. The one I refer to in my post is only when the car is running and during initial engagement of the clutch in a gear. I'm sure it's just the ToB on its way out combined with the worn out flywheel. The car has 104K on it.

If it's anything like mine, it probably creaks only when operating the clutch pedal, right? You don't hear it when the revs go up because the engine overrides the sound. It's still there.

I don't think it's anything to worry about. Mine's done it for a long time now.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Time to change out the fluids?

Tony's ZHP "Wulf" '03 Silver Gray | Valentine 1 Radar Detector| Alcantara | BMW Performance Intake | F10 M5 Knob | Auto-dim Retrofit | BMW Alarm | Performance Grilles | OEM Roof Rack | Rain Light Sensor Retrofit | Eonon D5150 Head Unit | BMW OEM Clear Lens

Quote Originally Posted by Tnhl1989 View Post
    Time to change out the fluids?
    Doubt the fluid has anything to do with it. Mine creaks even though I regularly change the brake fluid. Transmission fluid in this case wouldn't matter as that's inside the transmission case.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Throwout Bearing.

Quote Originally Posted by echo46 View Post
    Throwout Bearing.
    That's what I think it is. The normal squeak/creak coming from just using the clutch pedal has always been there. This one sounds like a stress-induced creak.

For me, when all is nice and warm, the TOB sound is different. To get it going (makes a rattle sound) I have to let go of the clutch pedal quickly. If I let go of the clutch slowly, I can't hear it. But it is not a creak, it is a rattle (in my case), and I too suspect it is the TOB.
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

Hiya, was this issue ever resolved?
    1991 E30 Alpinweiß 325iX [SOLD]
    2005 E46 Sparkling Graphite Metallic 330Ci ZHP 6spd