Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Misfire cylinder 1

Gents,

Today on the way home from my closing the zhp was going all crazy! Lots of stuttering, especially in low rpms. Service engine light came on right when it started. I had no choice but to drive it home, and it made it the 20 minute drive. I pulled the codes when I got home, misfire cylinder 1 - no spark. I have to look the codes up still, but I'm guessing ignition coil? I hope so. Here's the error:

If anyone happens to know what it could be off the top of your head, feel free to discuss. On a better note, here's me new house! :

Don't know that code off my head. Congrats on the new house!
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Congrats on the house.

How does the plug look in that cylinder?

Congrats on the house.

Sounds like a bad coil pack.

Swap the cylinder 1 coil with one from a different cylinder and see if the code follows to confirm.

Sent from my kick-A Galaxy S3
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Move coil pack and see if code follows.

Sweet pad Tampa. Well done.

Sent from the HTC DNA, Williamsburg, VA and USA
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

I swapped cylinder 1 and 2's coils, and there was no error. The car did not shake or throw any codes at all while idling in park for 5 minutes. I figured it was the coil anyway, so I went and got a new one. I installed it, started up, immediately service engine light came on, misfire cylinder 1 same codes. I'm at a loss now... I don't have time for this today, I'm supposed to be moving! I don't know what to do now. The coil was kind of a tight fit and I'm thinking maybe I didn't get it on there all the way? I shouldn't have put it all back together without making sure it was going to work but I'm really short on time and I'm going to have to take it somewhere if I can't fix it really soon. Any suggestions based on this info? Appreciate it guys!

Not sure exactly where you are. Found this shop that get's good reviews: http://www.bimmershops.com/florida/p...d-auto-service
    This one if farther north: http://www.bimmershops.com/florida/e...f-land-o-lakes

Looks like I'm just an idiot. The plastic on the new coil where the wiring plugs in was a really tight fit, and it wasn't 100% connected. I opened it back up and forced it into place with a screwdriver since it hurt my fingers to push so hard. It 'popped' into place and the locking mechanism came down and now it looks right. For a minute I thought they gave me the wrong coil, but no, just a really really tight fit. I cleared the codes, took a drive, checked codes, error free! It feels stable and no stuttering, shaking, or anything else out of the ordinary. I had a coil go about 8 months ago and I suppose I should have done them all at once since they're so cheap. It was 34.99 at autozone. Thanks all, I appreciate all your help! Oh yeah, while I was frantically trying to remove things, I broke 3/4 of the engine cover bolt caps. These look cosmetic, but I'll get them replaced so it doesn't look all ghetto. I also dropped one of the engine cover screws into the car and I'm going to go see if it fell where the car was parked. Fun stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Tampa330i View Post
    Looks like I'm just an idiot. The plastic on the new coil where the wiring plugs in was a really tight fit, and it wasn't 100% connected. I opened it back up and forced it into place with a screwdriver since it hurt my fingers to push so hard. It 'popped' into place and the locking mechanism came down and now it looks right. For a minute I thought they gave me the wrong coil, but no, just a really really tight fit. I cleared the codes, took a drive, checked codes, error free! It feels stable and no stuttering, shaking, or anything else out of the ordinary. I had a coil go about 8 months ago and I suppose I should have done them all at once since they're so cheap. It was 34.99 at autozone. Thanks all, I appreciate all your help! Oh yeah, while I was frantically trying to remove things, I broke 3/4 of the engine cover bolt caps. These look cosmetic, but I'll get them replaced so it doesn't look all ghetto. I also dropped one of the engine cover screws into the car and I'm going to go see if it fell where the car was parked. Fun stuff!

Glad you got it fixed. I love the ignition coils on this car. They make a distinct vacuum suck noise when you pull them out and they pop when you push them in. The switch is really cool to flip too.
    2005 Jet Black 6MT ZHP "Family First"
    ~Rob~

Awesome!!! Glad it was a fairly easy fix.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast