Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Oil Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus-SanDiego View Post
    I think most people use Blackstone for the oil analysis.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...ght=blackstone
    Thanks, I'll get a sample next time I do the oil change at 4k (sometime in March probably) and send it out to them.

My Project Thread
    Register Your ZHP | CoolantSnitch

2005 ZHP 6MT Mods: AFE Intake, Carbon Fiber Hood w/ M3 Bulge, Meyle HD FCAB's, Zionsville T-Stat @ 88°C, Stewart WP, BMW Perf. Rotors F+R, Oil Temp & Press. Gauges, Alcantara Wheel w/ CF Trim, Alum. Pedals + E-Brake, Black Kidney's, Aux Input, Beltronics RX-75 Pro Radar Detector, Beisan Seals + Rattle Kit, Armrest Delete, Schroth Harness, StopTech Pads, SSR Comp-H's

Quote Originally Posted by MasterC17 View Post
    Where would I send the oil out to be analyzed and how much would it cost roughly? I think I'm going to go with the Total 5W-40 and see how that does. After that I'll probably try Redline.
    Yeah...just tell them you want the kit....they mail it to your house....then when you send the sample, you send them a check......its about $35.00, inless you want some extra analysis performed....but not more than $50.00
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

I was starting to worry about the future of ZHPMafia as a self sustained forum... but then I saw an oil thread... Now I know we are going to be ok

... Elf/Total... VERY good stuff! Using it in the M3, haven't done oil analysis with it yet but I do have a baseline with RedLine 10W40 so we'll see how it stands up.
    2004 ZHP * IMOLAROT II * OEM Clears * ///M Strut * CoolantSnitch

Quote Originally Posted by nk_zhp View Post
    I was starting to worry about the future of ZHPMafia as a self sustained forum... but then I saw an oil thread... Now I know we are going to be ok

... Elf/Total... VERY good stuff! Using it in the M3, haven't done oil analysis with it yet but I do have a baseline with RedLine 10W40 so we'll see how it stands up.
    Every car forum needs an oil thread! Happy to hear the Elf is good. I'd love to see the analysis' compared side by side.

My Project Thread

2005 ZHP 6MT Mods: AFE Intake, Carbon Fiber Hood w/ M3 Bulge, Meyle HD FCAB's, Zionsville T-Stat @ 88°C, Stewart WP, BMW Perf. Rotors F+R, Oil Temp & Press. Gauges, Alcantara Wheel w/ CF Trim, Alum. Pedals + E-Brake, Black Kidney's, Aux Input, Beltronics RX-75 Pro Radar Detector, Beisan Seals + Rattle Kit, Armrest Delete, Schroth Harness, StopTech Pads, SSR Comp-H's

Quote Originally Posted by MasterC17 View Post
    Every car forum needs an oil thread! Happy to hear the Elf is good. I'd love to see the analysis' compared side by side.
    But only one oil thread...
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Ok, based upon my research I have opted to go with Red Line 5W-30 - especially because my engine will be running cooler I will need the lower viscosity. So, based on my research I recommend the following:

Mobil 1: Not bad oil, but not great. It seems all their oils are group 4 which is better than most manufacturers can say. 0W-40 will work fine in our cars but I wouldn't say it is your best option.
    BMW Castrol: The only Group 4 oil Castrol makes other than their Syntec 0W-30 and a pretty decent oil at that. Based upon it's price it is the best option for most people and it's 'factory' (running it in my Dad's ZHP & Mom's X5 3.0).
    Amsoil: A very good brand. All their oils are group 4 (other than XL). Their 5W-40 European blend will work well but their 10W-40 Premium Protection contains higher doses of Zinc & Phos - definitely a plus for people running turbo applications; I would recommend.
    Red Line: One of only a few Group 5 Oil manufacturers, and not a terrible price at that. Designed for use in track cars but can also be used on the street. It seems most people use 5W-30. Note it will run thinner at operating temp than most with a stock thermostat. The 5W-40 is actually closer to factory specs so it will probably work better for most people.

I would personally not recommend any Group 3 oils (which is most) unless you plan on changing it often and at small intervals - and even then...no.

Group 4 Oils: German Castrol 0W-30, BMW Castrol, Mobil 1, Royal Purple, Amsoil (except XL-Series), Torco, Elf (Some?), Brad Penn (Some?), ???
    Group 5 Oils: Red Line, Motul, Maxima, Torco, ???

And undisputedly the best filter for our cars is factory (Mann).

It's not easy to figure out what group each oil is so you have to do your homework. Hope this helps some.

My Project Thread

Elf/Total has great LL-01 oil as well. PAO based, Group IV. Seems like a popular choice across the pond.

http://www.lubadmin.com/upload/produ...lang_1/162.pdf
    2004 ZHP * IMOLAROT II * OEM Clears * ///M Strut * CoolantSnitch

I do BMW 5W-30 Synthetic every 3k. I know most of you guys will say it is not necessary at such soon intervals, but whatever...haha

I use Mobil-1 5W-30 Synthetic every 3k on my Jetta which is a 1.8T. These motors are very prone to oil sludge, so I do whatever I can to prevent that. My prior/current sister's Audi 2.8 V6 I always used Mobil 1 5W-30 every 3k miles. At 100k when doing the VCGs the motor was SPOTLESS under the valve covers...I was quite happy

Kind of close-up but here is a shot

^That is not necessary...

Autozone.com
    Stathi, I'd buy a car from you, sir.

Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast