Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Question Cluster On The Fritz

Alrighty then, well about two weeks ago, my instrument cluster went a bit crazy. I noticed that my OBC screen would go dim to point of not being able to read my mileage at night, the temp gauge would peg all the way to the red ( on a cold start) and sometimes go past the red. The fuel gauge would read full even though there is only 3/4 of a tank full. The RPM and the instant MPG gauge would not work and at times the oil and battery light stay on after startup. The main lights that stay on all day are the DSC and Brake lights in amber. My cluster seems to beep once, when I get the car rolling in 1st gear. I've removed the battery and cluster to see if I could reset the system somehow to no avail. I've done the cluster test through the OBC screen. The only thing that seems to kinda fix the issue is if I tap the dash it goes back to normal except the amber DSC and Brake lights stay on. I've read many forums over on the Fanatics and Bimmerforums side of the house and alot of them are pointing towards a bad ignition switch or a short. I would like to get some of your guys input on this issue and see whats up before I start dumping money into this issue. Sorry for the long post and bad grammar ( alcohol and forums don't mix :asshat )

How old is your battery?

Common suspect with electrical gremlins.

Sent from my kick-A Galaxy S3
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Quote Originally Posted by DDub88 View Post
    Alrighty then, well about two weeks ago, my instrument cluster went a bit crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by kayger12 View Post
    How old is your battery?

Read the first sentence of the first post and knew what the second post was going to be. I agree.

DDub, are you saying your brake lights are staying on while driving, and NOT applying the brake?
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by kayger12 View Post
    How old is your battery?

I was gonna ask the same thing. Even check to make sure the battery cables are tight.
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

If not a dying battery, perhaps a bad/intermittent ground issue.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

-Brettski

Quote Originally Posted by brettbimmer View Post

Nooooooo....don't even say that.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

I replaced my battery this last January. My buddy was saying that if I can tap the dash above the cluster and that fixes the lights, then it's probably a short. If that we're the case, could it be a short within the cluster? I've removed the cluster before just to make sure the two connectors were good but not sure if the issue is inside the cluster it self. I'm going to go have my battery tested later today and see what comes of that. Sorry if I'm seeming really stupid, I'm not very savy with the electrical sort of things.

Quote Originally Posted by brettbimmer View Post

I would agree, I had a similar problem on my ///M about a week ago, it turns out that my ground wire in the trunk was bad. I replaced it and haven't had any issues since.
    2003 ///M3 6spd Jet Black/Cinnamon (I loan valve adjustment tools! PM me...)

Quote Originally Posted by niart906 View Post
    I would agree, I had a similar problem on my ///M about a week ago, it turns out that my ground wire in the trunk was bad. I replaced it and haven't had any issues since.

Where in your trunk was this ground wire located?

Quote Originally Posted by DDub88 View Post
    Where in your trunk was this ground wire located?
    It goes from the battery to the inner fender... passenger side...

You do know the battery is in the trunk?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast