Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Power steering leak messing up alternator?

I've noticed the last couple of days that my red battery light is coming on with hard acceleration. My power steering lines has been leaking for a while but hasn't caused problems until now. I have removed the alternator not too long ago to replace the OFHG.

Should I be worried and fix this immediately or do I have a little bit of time. Cash is short so I can't really put up the bill for the lines just yet.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

'01 330i

That red battery light tells me the belt is slipping on the alternator which means... Imo.... That your belt could fail, with the addition of oil on it.

That belt turns water pump too.

If you lose that belt, overheat car, warp head, blow head gasket, etc.

I dunno if I would chance it though I understand your situation.

Sent from the HTC DNA, Williamsburg, VA and USA
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    That red battery light tells me the belt is slipping on the alternator which means... Imo.... That your belt could fail, with the addition of oil on it.

That belt turns water pump too.

If you lose that belt, overheat car, warp head, blow head gasket, etc.

I dunno if I would chance it though I understand your situation.

Sent from the HTC DNA, Williamsburg, VA and USA
    I recently replaced the serpentine. Is there a way to remove the oil from the belt or is it better to just get a new one? I know I can get one at advance for a decent price.

Def don't want to have a big whoops that's for sure. The light only comes on then goes back off immediately when I let off the gas. I can make it come on with quick blips on the throttle to 3.5k. Im thinking your right on the belt. Ill check and make sure its got good tension right now at least.

'01 330i

Agree with DW's assessment.

Getting a new belt isn't going to help if you still have the leak. You're still going to get oil on the belt and will still get slippage, just maybe not enough to trigger the alternator light.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Quote Originally Posted by kayger12 View Post
    Agree with DW's assessment.

Getting a new belt isn't going to help if you still have the leak. You're still going to get oil on the belt and will still get slippage, just maybe not enough to trigger the alternator light.
    That's a good point Keith. Guess ill save up my pennies lol.

Everyone think id be alright going aftermarket on the hoses? They aren't pressurized as far as I know. The two lines going to the reservoir.

'01 330i

Yeah, I think you'd be fine with aftermarket.

Just for kicks, double check that it's not leaking at one of your hose clamps.

Just found mine leaking there last weekend. New clamp = no more leak.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Interesting problem.

The alternator is designed to put out sufficient current at idle. If the belt is slipping on the alternator pulley, the alternator wouldn't spin as fast as it should but I would expect that it would at least be spinning as fast as at idle.

If the belt was slipping on the crank pulley though, the drag of the water pump and alternator could stop the belt. I think you would be able to see this happening.

Could also be the alternator brushes or commutator.
    2006 CiC 6MT
    ZHP, Cold Weather, Xenon
    Sapphire Black / Black Leather / Black Cube

Quote Originally Posted by kayger12 View Post
    Yeah, I think you'd be fine with aftermarket.

Just for kicks, double check that it's not leaking at one of your hose clamps.

Just found mine leaking there last weekend. New clamp = no more leak.

I may try that. Right now the light is coming on at anything over 3k with normal driving. Did a price check at my local stealership. Both lines are going to run $100.14 with tax.

Does anyone know a simple way to remove the OEM clamps? From what I understand they are the crimp style so they are difficult to take off without damaging the hose.
    If i stop the leak I still run into the problem of the belt slipping. Will the ATF fluid eventually dry up and no longer cause problems or am I going to need to replace the brand new belt?

'01 330i

^Get a nice set of big wire cutters, clamp the big wedge that sticks out and twist it back and forth. That's how I did it. Crude, but it worked. Replace with stainless hose clamps.
    2003 ///M3 6spd Jet Black/Cinnamon (I loan valve adjustment tools! PM me...)

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerWill View Post
    If i stop the leak I still run into the problem of the belt slipping. Will the ATF fluid eventually dry up and no longer cause problems or am I going to need to replace the brand new belt?
    Get a can of brake cleaner and spray liberally on to the belt and pullies while idling.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast