Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Differential Bushing Refresh

The main differential bushing in the rear has had it so I'm going to replace it as well as the other bushings on the diff at the same time since it is going to be out anyway. I just want to make sure I am ordering the right parts when I can get around to it. Probably will change out the diff fluid while I'm at it as well.

Rear Carrier bushing
    http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330...ial/ES2561333/
    Real OEM part #9
    http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...39&hg=33&fg=30

Differential Bushing
    http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330...ial/ES2581084/
    Real OEM part #7
    http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...39&hg=33&fg=30

Also do I need two of the smaller differential bushings? From the picture it looks like it but just want to be sure.

Also should I go ahead and replace my rear subframe bushings as well? I heard its a PITA to get all of these out but Im feeling a little bit of a swing in the rear end in corners and suspect my subframe bushings are the culprit.

Anything else while I'm in there?

Thanks as always!

'01 330i

You plan to just drop rear subframe, correct?
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Replacing the 3 diff bushings only requires dropping the diff, including disconnecting driveshaft and axles, and you'll need some kind of bushing puller tool with different sized discs and cups. Replacing subframe bushings means either disconnecting rear trailing arms from body, disconnecting rear brake lines and ebrakes, and dropping entire subframe with hubs/arms/brakes, then getting a new alignment afterward. Or maybe you can leave the brakes hooked up if you suspend them in the wheel wells and disconnect the RTA from control arms or control arms from subframe first, since the brake and ebrake lines somewhat follow the RTAs and hubs.

I wonder if it's possible to replace subframe bushings just by lowering subframe a few inches and not disconnecting everything? If the old bushings can be pulled out the bottom and new bushings pressed in from bottom, it might be possible. If you drop the subframe as Dane noted, should be easy to remove and replace bushings, again as long as you have a puller of the right size.

Assuming you do have to remove subframe to replace its bushings, I estimate removing the diff is 1/3rd of the way to removing the whole subframe. Worst case it's 1/4th.

If you do drop the whole subframe, good time to weld in reinforcement kit.

Yikes this project sounds like a nightmare lol...I may have to wait on it for a little longer. Guess there's no sense in doing the rear diff bushings if it has to come out for the rear subframe anyway? Feel like id be making more work for myself.

This project may have to wait til summer when I have more time on my hands.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

'01 330i

Doing just the 3 diff bushings is not so much because you don't need to worry about the control arms, rear trailing arms, brake lines, alignment, etc. You just need some E-torx sockets to disconnect the driveshaft and half-shafts, at least I think (haven't tried it personally) . Also need a bushing puller, like one of these. Some people have made their own with $30 of parts from Home Depot).
    http://www.amazon.com/Rear-Subframe-.../dp/B0081VALRM

I heard if your diff is rockin and rollin, it's usually the big bushing in the rear, and you can replace that without removing the entire diff. Might need to drain diff and remove the diff cover, not sure. Depends whether you think it's only your diff bushings or you think the subframe bushings are already shot.

Here's a good DIY from someone else, with picture.
    http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ntial+bushings

Im positive the main carrier bushing is gone at the rear end of the diff..I've had the diff out before so that's not a major issue. I figured it would be best to replace all three at the same time. Id rather not break that seal on the diff unless I have to.

Is there a way to test the subframe bushings to see if they're worn out or not?

'01 330i

It's usually highly unlikely your subframe bushings are shot. You can always loosen the 4 large nuts/bolts to look at the bushings themselves with the rear end jacked up.

Quote Originally Posted by derbo View Post
    It's usually highly unlikely your subframe bushings are shot. You can always loosen the 4 large nuts/bolts to look at the bushings themselves with the rear end jacked up.
    Ill try that thanks!

'01 330i

Are you coming to the meet Will? I think this is on my DIY list too.
    "Cam"

2009 Ultrasonic Blue Mica/Alpine White ISF
    1998 Nassau Blue/Grey C5 Corvette 6spd Sold
    2003 Imola Red/Alcantara 330i ZHP 6spd Sold
    2002 TiAg/Black M3 6spd Sold