Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bulb Error

Bulb Error

So, I have been searching online for my issue and can't seem to find it, so I'll ask.

A couple of months ago I installed Amber LEDs from LED Automotive on all of my turn signal bulbs. Everything has been pretty good, no errors, etc. Well, about three weeks ago my bulb-out warning light on the dash came on, but it wasn't any of the brake lights nor the turn signal bulb. Usually, I with the dash light on I can activate the turn signal and it goes away after a couple of seconds of blinking fast.....so I figure its the turn signal bulb..........right? BUT.....!

I was just walking up to the back of the car after lunch today and when I unlocked the car not only did all of the turn signal LEDs light up but the parking light bulb in the lower left of the housing also flashed with the turn signal bulb.

Does anyone know anything about this? The bulb lit up, so it can't be the bulb.....does it still point to the LED bulb? I was going to take it apart this weekend and see if it needs some dielectric grease, but I also am waiting to install my RCR LED taillights I bought from Khoalty. So I'm kinda not that enthused about looking into it when I have the new lights to install.

Thanks for your input!

Have you had the tail light ground recall done yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnmadd View Post
    X2.

-Brettski

Quote Originally Posted by Johnmadd View Post
    That might be it, you might need a resistor for the turn signals. LEDs take very little power and even though they are working normally the car might think that the bulb is out because of the lower voltage needed.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    2005 Jet Black 6MT ZHP "Family First"
    ~Rob~

I haven't called the dealer yet to see if my car has had the recall done. I need to do that first. What seems weird is that when I'm going to get the dash light to come on when I unlock the car the lower right parking light on the rear tail flashes after my turn signal (or with it) when I unlock the car. So, perhaps some of power is getting diverted to that bulb because of the ground failing or whatever the recall addresses?

My car is well out of warranty. if the recall wasn't done would they still honor it? OR, because I have new Depo LED tails yet to install, should I just install those and be done with it?

Just called the dealer. They said that it doesn't look like the recall has been done, but then there also isn't an active recall out for that either. So, she is thinking my car didn't fall under the recall based on the month it was made or whatever. She wasn't very helpful......just said that they would have to contact BMW to see if they would cover it. BS.

Ok, just called our other dealer in town and he said the recall was performed in June '12. So, I'll have to check into more.

Quote Originally Posted by deuce08s View Post
    So, I have been searching online for my issue and can't seem to find it, so I'll ask.

A couple of months ago I installed Amber LEDs from LED Automotive on all of my turn signal bulbs. Everything has been pretty good, no errors, etc. Well, about three weeks ago my bulb-out warning light on the dash came on, but it wasn't any of the brake lights nor the turn signal bulb. Usually, I with the dash light on I can activate the turn signal and it goes away after a couple of seconds of blinking fast.....so I figure its the turn signal bulb..........right? BUT.....!

I was just walking up to the back of the car after lunch today and when I unlocked the car not only did all of the turn signal LEDs light up but the parking light bulb in the lower left of the housing also flashed with the turn signal bulb.

Does anyone know anything about this? The bulb lit up, so it can't be the bulb.....does it still point to the LED bulb? I was going to take it apart this weekend and see if it needs some dielectric grease, but I also am waiting to install my RCR LED taillights I bought from Khoalty. So I'm kinda not that enthused about looking into it when I have the new lights to install.

Thanks for your input!
    How about go back to regular bulbs and see if that clears it?
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Yeah, the original bulbs cleared it. Once I took out the LEDs I noticed that there is only one locking tab on the base of the bulb. I took the other LED out on the passenger side and the same thing...one tab. Now, neither bulb stays locked in the housing. I emailed LED Automotive and the guy told me there should only be one tab on the bulb, and that there is now something broken in my taillight assembly. Any other 1156 bulb I look at has two tabs to lock it in place. On top of that, I brought both bulbs to work and hooked them up to a DC power supply and not all of the LEDs light up, and some don't light up to full power (when applying 12VDC). So, I'll see what they have to say, but it looks like the tab fell off on both of the bulbs.

^^

This is what happens with all these cheap-xxx LED's flooding the market. Ask me how I know.
    2006 CiC 6MT
    ZHP, Cold Weather, Xenon
    Sapphire Black / Black Leather / Black Cube

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast