Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Oil Starvation - Lifter Tick after session

So guys, went out to the BMW performance center for the first time (on track and really pushing the car)

I had some MAJOR lifter tick after a session. Ryan and Wyatt both suggested just revving the motor to around 2 grand for 30 seconds to get it to go away, which it did.

My question is this is likely oil starvation and NOT good for the motor regardless of what google/web says. So, how do we prevent it in these cars? Baffled oil pan? Extra Oil (don't like this idea), other options?

In previous experience on track, oil starvation blew up motors and could be prevented with either a baffled oil pan, or weld in baffles. I think at this point, a dry sump setup may be over kill for what I plan on doing with the car.

Discuss.

In for reply.

-Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Thanks for the links. But I digress, they still say it's normal.

Normal to me, happens daily and often. This ONLY happens after a hard session. While I agree, most every shrugs it off, I'd rather prevent it. If it's getting starved of oil, what else is happening?

I've heard some guys add 1/2 quart before running and then at the end of the day, siphon it back out.
    -Chris-

2003 ZHP Sedan - Jet Black on Sand - SOLD

nike001 Guest
    I've experienced this.

As others have stated, it's normal. The oil is sloshing around due to the hard corners and isn't getting to the places in the quantities that it needs.

Quote Originally Posted by nike001 View Post
    I've experienced this.

As others have stated, it's normal. The oil is sloshing around due to the hard corners and isn't getting to the places in the quantities that it needs.
    Oil getting in places it needs to be isn't healthy for your motor. It's needed there for a reason and IMO NOT normal as indicated everywhere on the web.

That being said, it looks like an oil pan baffle is around $200 online. I suppose one of those will go in my car when I do the pan gasket. Seems like cheap insurance. I was all over 6k today and several sections of high G which would induce this starvation.

http://store.vacmotorsports.com/m52t...fle-p2912.aspx

Apparently, on our cars, 330's the oil pump shaft can shear off due to the harmonics of the engine at high RPM as discussed here:

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...-thread-locker

Here's a nice read about the Oil Pump Nut too:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=714263

Our ZHP nuts ARE different, but apparent still can back out.

Over filling to me seems more like a band aid than a fix to the issue.

At the end of the day, it's to each his own. But I have to strongly disagree that this ticking after a session is "normal" and "ok" and WILL lead to premature wear depending on how much/long and how often you do this.

nike001 Guest
    BMW tested and put this out... and they make some of the best engines on the planet (specifically the inline 6's). They've surely experienced this, so if they think it's OK to sell to us, then I'm good with that.

Quote Originally Posted by nike001 View Post
    BMW tested and put this out... and they make some of the best engines on the planet (specifically the inline 6's). They've surely experienced this, so if they think it's OK to sell to us, then I'm good with that.
    I normally subscribe to this line of thinking, too. But in the case of actual track work, it doesn't hold up, and neither will a stock car if pushed to the limit often.

OP - I believe VAC are the ones to check with, as you did. Also give TMS and Bimmer World a call to see what they say. I cannot imagine they're tracking cars without some baffling, but I could be wrong.
    - Marc

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying
    Quote Originally Posted by zhpnsnv View Post
    I normally subscribe to this line of thinking, too. But in the case of actual track work, it doesn't hold up, and neither will a stock car if pushed to the limit often.

OP - I believe VAC are the ones to check with, as you did. Also give TMS and Bimmer World a call to see what they say. I cannot imagine they're tracking cars without some baffling, but I could be wrong.
    TMS offers a baffel solution but its big bucks

Mods: Smoked corners, smoked side markers, smoked tails, 35% tint, CF kidney grills, debadged, angel eyes, 3000k HID Fogs, OBX exhaust, Sharked, solo werks S1 coilovers, front and rear strut brace, AUX cable
    "I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone built it for me"

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast