Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

ZHP brake advice/input

Hey guys, I've tried searching here and the e46 forums but don't seem to find a clear answer so thought I'd try asking you all...if there's a link please feel free to post directly.

What is the OEM replacement for our ZHP brakes (presuming there is a difference between the ZHP and std. sport editions)? Tirerack.com is the only place I've seen them allow you to input the 330i performance package vs. just a 330i.

What is the consensus on blank, slotted, vs. cross-drilled rotors? How about Pads (I see Hawkeye mentioned favorably)

Is an e46 M3 system worth/easy doing? (The Brembo 135i seems too involved)

Though I'm in no immediate need, I would like to evaluate braking options (rotors, pads, ss lines) that are better than OEM preferably within a reasonable budget (i.e. around $500 give or take)

Thanks in advance!

'04 ZHP - Orient Blue, 6spd, Alcantara

Should've mentioned that the reason I was thinking e46 M3 is because of the TMS package:

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-13...ge-e46-m3.aspx

'04 ZHP - Orient Blue, 6spd, Alcantara

If you're only cruising around town, stick with the blank rotors. The drilled/slotted ones are only for appearance, though it could be argued that they reduce weight, cool faster, and have better bite in some conditions (eg: rain). I would only consider drilled/slotted if I was a track guy.
    Fuelly

there are no difference between stock ZHP brakes and regular 330 brakes

Drilled & slotted rotors are mainly bling, maybe the holes and slots help cool things off faster, I don't know but have or getting them on most of our cars. If you have them for daily use and maybe once a year auto cross, they're fine. But if you intend to track the car the drilled holes are prone to crack from the heat. If you're planning on a lot of track time, get the slotted rotors.

So why have the slotted & drilled rotors? I use them in combination with ceramic pads. I want the ceramic pads to cut down on wheel dust but found ceramics on solid rotors don't bite as well as stock pads on blanks. However, my personal experience has been ceramics with S&D rotors, that's a good combination with bite equal to or slightly better than the stock setup. Ceramic pads will not work for track time, they don't shed heat quick enough and you'll get brake fade too quickly.

A caveat, the preceding was based on your budget threshold of $500-ish. S&D rotors on high dollar rotors like Brembos, BMW Performance, etc, you won't crack those drilled holes on such beefy rotors, but a set of those rotors will set you back $400 for just the front or rear set.

Bruce
    21 GMC Sierra - mine
    16 X5 M-Sport - wife
    11 M3 - 1st son
    04 Tundra - 2nd son
    17 X1 M-Sport - daughter

Former (mo/yr sold):
    15 335xi M-Sport (8/18)
    11 335is (8/17)
    11 X5 AW/blk (11/15)
    04 330xi blk/gray (7/15)
    06 ZHP SGM/blk (6/15)
    08 335xi blue/blk (4/15)
    04 ZHPci MB/blk (2/14)
    04 ZHPcic IR/Alc (10/13)
    01 540iT anthra/blk (7/13)
    04 ZHPci TIAG/blk (9/12)
    03 540i M-Sport (9/12)
    01 325ci (3/12)
    02 325iT 5MT (10/11)
    05 ZHPci (7/11)
    03 330cic (2/11)
    00 323ci (10/10)

Blank rotors, higher aggressive pad.

You'll outbreak any 135i or M3.

KISS. Going to M3 rotors and calipers or any other option will just add unnecessary weight.

Project STX: TCKline Racing l APEX l Vorshlag l Eibach l Hawk l Schroth l BMW Performance

I replaced mine with blanks and Akebono ceramic pads. After bedding and short break in they are pretty good.

On my Wife's 06 330 Cabriolet with Sport Package I went with Hawk Performance Ceramic Pads and Brembo Replacement Rotor from Tire Rack. They seam to have slightly more bite than stock, are low dust and the rotors don't show significant rust after nearly a year. Her car is is just street driven and not pushed very hard at all. Quite happy with these but she does complain about a slight squeal that I can't hear. FYI Bedding is recommended by Hawk.

On my ZHP I'm running Mintex pads and solid rotors from Bavarian Autosport's. I've used these on both my 323I and ZHP and haven't had any issues. The ZHP has had several track days and Auto Cross days with out any fade ore rotor warpage issues.

Once the current Mintex pads were out on the ZHP, I'm going to go with Hawk HPS Street brake pads and the Brembo Replacement Rotor from Tire Rack to give me that little extra bite for my track days.

FYI; many of the guys that do week end driving schools swap out their pads, rotors and tires for the track, then switch back for daily driving.
    Last edited by 3ZHPGUY; 04-23-2013 at 06:36 PM. Reason: fixed

Dinan; Hign Flow Intake System, & Strut Tower Brace
    Turner Motorsports; Underdrive Power Pulleys
    Koni Sport, Bridgestone; Potenza RE-11, Coby Wheel
    Stewart High Performance Water Pump
    Hawk High Performance Street 5.0 Brake Pads
    Brembo Rotor

The purposeful face of a formidable athlete:

The spine-tingling 330i Performance Package.

Purchased CPO on 12/23/2006 with 28,090 miles

Quote Originally Posted by 3ZHPGUY View Post
    On my Wives 06 330 Cabriolet with Sport Package I went with Hawk Performance Ceramic Pads and Brembo Replacement Rotor from Tire Rack. They seam to have slightly more bite than stock, are low dust and the rotors don't show significant rust after nearly a year. Her car is is just street driven and not pushed very hard at all. Quite happy with these but she does complain about a slight squeal that I can't hear. FYI Bedding is recommended by Hawk.

On my ZHP I'm running Mintex pads and solid rotors from Bavarian Autosport's. I've used these on both my 323I and ZHP and haven't had any issues. The ZHP has had several track days and Auto Cross days with out any fade ore rotor warpage issues.

Once the current Mintex pads were out on the ZHP, I'm going to go with Hawk HPS Street brake pads and the Brembo Replacement Rotor from Tire Rack to give me that little extra bite for my track days.

FYI; many of the guys that do week end driving schools swap out their pads, rotors and tires for the track, then switch back for daily driving.

"On my Wives 06 330 Cabriolet..." -- want to better understand how you get your multiple "wives" to share a cabriolet???? I'd like to be able to do that, either or, have multiples or have them agree on something, lol.

Bruce
    21 GMC Sierra - mine
    16 X5 M-Sport - wife
    11 M3 - 1st son
    04 Tundra - 2nd son
    17 X1 M-Sport - daughter

Former (mo/yr sold):
    15 335xi M-Sport (8/18)
    11 335is (8/17)
    11 X5 AW/blk (11/15)
    04 330xi blk/gray (7/15)
    06 ZHP SGM/blk (6/15)
    08 335xi blue/blk (4/15)
    04 ZHPci MB/blk (2/14)
    04 ZHPcic IR/Alc (10/13)
    01 540iT anthra/blk (7/13)
    04 ZHPci TIAG/blk (9/12)
    03 540i M-Sport (9/12)
    01 325ci (3/12)
    02 325iT 5MT (10/11)
    05 ZHPci (7/11)
    03 330cic (2/11)
    00 323ci (10/10)

Quote Originally Posted by echo46 View Post
    I replaced mine with blanks and Akebono ceramic pads. After bedding and short break in they are pretty good.
    I've recently done the same, first the rears a few months ago, then the fronts recently. At first I had REALLY clean rear wheels, and typically filthy fronts, in almost no time. I was glad that the fronts were soon gone too so that I could complete the transformation. Now I have perpetually clean wheels, and with the PITA that cleaning the stock ZHP wheels is, it's a godsend.

As someone else noted earlier, you'll lose a tad of the stock pad's bite with Akebonos and non-slotted or drilled rotors. But for a street car, it's more than adequate. Zimmerman makes a stock equivalent replacement rotor that's readily available.

'21 M2 Competition
    '08 Z4 M Coupé
    '19 Golf R

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast