Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I'm not sure how possible it is, nor how available performance parts are available for the M54B30, but I would try to rebuild and squeeze a little more power out in the process. However, I don't know how possible this would be given your circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by aurelius View Post
    How do you know it's seized?

If the motor has truly seized, I'd bet on low oil level and the hill was the final nail in that coffin.

If it has not actually seized, put me down for fuel pump.
    Wouldn't it still turn over if it was fuel pump?

Quote Originally Posted by Oli77 View Post
    That sucks big time. Could CCV have failed and hydrolocked? Bummer.

Tell us more once you know some details. Swap sounds good if the rest of the car is in good shape.
    I definitely will keep you all posted.

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Damn.... So sorry to hear of this. I say put in a rebuilt engine or rebuild yours if you can.

If not... Part out and pay off. Not sure this is legal though, now that I think of it.

HTC DNA, Williamsburg, VA
    Quote Originally Posted by illirep View Post
    Dane - What would be illegal about this? Just curious.
    Thanks buddy, it sucks, but I'm sure it will all workout somehow.

Also curious as to what would be illegal? I am guessing since I do not own the title and possess it as there is a lien on the vehicle through my auto loan.

Quote Originally Posted by fredo View Post
    Sorry to hear the news. If it was me, I would look into an used engine. Just my 2 cents. GL on this one.
    Thats what I am considering too, but it will all depend on what the actual diagnosis provides.

Quote Originally Posted by Tnhl1989 View Post
    I would assume that he would need to get a salvage title. Would the insurance company actually do anything for this?
    I am wondering that too. I plan on calling my insurance company today and speaking to them to find out what would occur if the engine is indeed gone-zo.

Quote Originally Posted by johnrando View Post
    Oh man! Hopefully a rebuilt one is not as expensive. Sorry to hear this.
    Thanks man. Rebuilt will run me around $2400 is the lowest price I have seen. Lower mileage, around 67k-70k would run me between $3500-$4000 from what I have found thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1027 View Post
    I think it's preamture to talk about replacing the engine. First need a good diagnosis. Who knows, it may be something simple. On the other hand, it may have threw a rod. Maybe the oil pump went out and it shut down before it got wasted?

What motor oil had you been using?
    Yeah, I just figured to put it out there and start a conversations about options at least. Never a bad idea to prepare mentally haha. Fuel pump is an option as that is one thing I had not yet had a chance to replace and check the condition of.

I have been using 5w30 oil (Castrol).

Quote Originally Posted by alexandre View Post
    Could be something as simple as fuel pump. You didn't mention it in your list and they all fail between 125 and 160k.
    This is good to know! Glad you and Dave brought it up.

Quote Originally Posted by aurelius View Post
    How do you know it's seized?

If the motor has truly seized, I'd bet on low oil level and the hill was the final nail in that coffin.

If it has not actually seized, put me down for fuel pump.
    Mechanic just told me it was locked and that it would be due to an internal failure. He might have used a code scanner to narrow down what happened since I did get a CEL after it happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Avetiso View Post
    I'm not sure how possible it is, nor how available performance parts are available for the M54B30, but I would try to rebuild and squeeze a little more power out in the process. However, I don't know how possible this would be given your circumstances.
    My only concern is getting it running. As much as I would love more power, I really dont need it and love the mpgs this thing has been getting lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Avetiso View Post
    Wouldn't it still turn over if it was fuel pump?
    Thats what I am wondering as well.

Current Ride: '13 R56 Mini Cooper S Hardtop - Ice Blue - Manual

RIP Berenger 7/13/15 189,963k
    '03 4dr ZHP - Jet Black
    ST V1 Coilovers | Beyern Wheels 18x9F 18x9.5R | Redline Goods Interior | Umnitza Halos | UUC Short Shift Kit | Stage 2 Clutch | Lightweight Flywheel | BMW Performance Intake | Pioneer 2-Din Carplay HU | Bav Sound Speaker Upgrade | Illuminated ZHP Shift Knob | LED Interior Conversion | Poly Bushings All Around | CF Splitters | CF Roof Spoiler | Projector Fogs

That sucks to hear. Im leaning towards a fuel pump as well. Rattle could be caused by improper fuel pressure. When it loses pressure or starves it does a kind of bucking rattle thing...maybe have your mechanic take a wrench and just turn the motor over that way...see if it hangs up on something....id pull oil pan first.

Fuel pump check first though. Best of luck figuring it out!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

'01 330i

I didn't think a vehicle, that someone else owns (the bank) could be parted out.

Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

nike001 Guest
    Does it crank?

That's one question.. I'm surprised that it took this long for someone to ask this simple question, honestly.

If the mechanic says its locked up and seized you can check that by turning on the crank with a wrench or try to roll it in 6th gear.

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerWill View Post
    That sucks to hear. Im leaning towards a fuel pump as well. Rattle could be caused by improper fuel pressure. When it loses pressure or starves it does a kind of bucking rattle thing...maybe have your mechanic take a wrench and just turn the motor over that way...see if it hangs up on something....id pull oil pan first.

agreed 100%

if you can manually turn the motor via the crank pulley then the issues are somewhere else besides within the motor

If it comes to changing the engine, make sure you get one that has the performance package (cams) that your original has. Good luck with this issue, man. I know how you feel right now. Believe me.
    19" VMR VB3 CSL reps w/ General G-Max 3 A/S, BMW Performance short throw shifter, CDV delete, M54B30 swap, and a redneck CAI.

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerWill View Post

Thanks man! Good pointers to keep track of and definitely will pass these q's onto my mechanic.

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    I didn't think a vehicle, that someone else owns (the bank) could be parted out.

Thats what I was figuring as well.

Quote Originally Posted by nike001 View Post
    Does it crank?

That's one question.. I'm surprised that it took this long for someone to ask this simple question, honestly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnmadd View Post
    If the mechanic says its locked up and seized you can check that by turning on the crank with a wrench or try to roll it in 6th gear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    agreed 100%

if you can manually turn the motor via the crank pulley then the issues are somewhere else besides within the motor
    No crank. Went and visited the beast today and the engine is done-zo.

Quote Originally Posted by static667 View Post
    If it comes to changing the engine, make sure you get one that has the performance package (cams) that your original has. Good luck with this issue, man. I know how you feel right now. Believe me.
    Yeah, I was thinking of doing so but I actually am just going with a standard M54. A buddy of mine is going to let me have a used M54 with 87k on the ODO for a little under $1200, which is well below wholesale. The total swap in terms of labor should be around $800 bucks.

I can muster up the money for the engine for now and save up to get the labor. In the meantime, I guess its time to get my fat a$$ a road bike and start riding to and from work. (I'll slap a nice roundel on it to keep the BMW theme going )

Current Ride: '13 R56 Mini Cooper S Hardtop - Ice Blue - Manual

RIP Berenger 7/13/15 189,963k
    '03 4dr ZHP - Jet Black
    ST V1 Coilovers | Beyern Wheels 18x9F 18x9.5R | Redline Goods Interior | Umnitza Halos | UUC Short Shift Kit | Stage 2 Clutch | Lightweight Flywheel | BMW Performance Intake | Pioneer 2-Din Carplay HU | Bav Sound Speaker Upgrade | Illuminated ZHP Shift Knob | LED Interior Conversion | Poly Bushings All Around | CF Splitters | CF Roof Spoiler | Projector Fogs

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast