Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    When I was inspecting my car before purchase, we found a streak of dried coolant on the side of the radiator plastic end tank. These don't fail as often as the ET but are known to fail between 120K and 150K miles.

Edit: 3 years and 40,000 miles after radiator replacement, I was chasing another leak, only to find it was from not tightening the ET cap enough! (And maybe also from ET not sealing properly to base plate, still not sure on that one.)
    Last edited by LivesNearCostco; 05-02-2013 at 07:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by echo46 View Post
    Are you sure you don't have a head gasket leak? If not I'm thinking heater core also.
    Yes. Everything indicates a leak elsewhere in the system.

Quote Originally Posted by wertyu78 View Post
    Thanks Dane! Found some white residue on the inside of the expansion tank today. Hopefully it's as simple as that.

so i would say expansion tank is culprit for small crack - thus replacement. keep us informed.
    2003 ///ZHP Sedan -Silver Grau - Alcantara - 6MT - 3.46 diff - Style 197's

Update

I had my trusted indy come over today. It didn't take him long to figure it out.

The head gasket is seeping into cylinders 2 and 5. Which explains why my coils went bad. Those coil-packs measured over 1 ohm of resistance last week on a Diagnostic machine. It also explained the misfire on those cylinders on cold startups. The leakage happens overnight while the system is pressurized. We pulled the plugs and pressurized the system. Sure enough, coolant begins to slowly come into cylinders 2 and 5.

So.... head has to come off.... again. I'm worried that the threads in the block somehow stripped or have lifted, allowing the seepage. It's strange that it has just begun to happen, as I've put 3,200 miles on the car since the top end rebuild.

Cylinder 1: Dry

Cylinder 2: Wet (note this is after turning it over to see how much coolant was there)

Totally sucks man. I have a block sitting at my garage if you need one

Tony's ZHP "Wulf" '03 Silver Gray | Valentine 1 Radar Detector| Alcantara | BMW Performance Intake | F10 M5 Knob | Auto-dim Retrofit | BMW Alarm | Performance Grilles | OEM Roof Rack | Rain Light Sensor Retrofit | Eonon D5150 Head Unit | BMW OEM Clear Lens

Quote Originally Posted by Tnhl1989 View Post
    Totally sucks man. I have a block sitting at my garage if you need one

This year has sucked.... But I may give you a ring about that. If it is in fact the block, it's that or a built Weisco block that my indy has.

My Indy and I are going to barter out services this weekend. He's coming over to pull the head while I setup Gt1/progman SSS, tis, and NCS for him.

Meanwhile, I think I may pickup this dub

http://greenville.craigslist.org/cto/3773204547.html

When I'm not out for a spirited drive, I'm a hypermiler!. The 1.6d has proven to be a rock solid/bomb proof engine. Although it is annoyingly underpowered, I think it would be a neat car to DD so I can start to focus on doing some big projects on the E46.

What happened that you had to rebuild the cylinder head?

Damn, that's what i was afraid of. Are you going to do it yourself?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12