Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Does anyone have access to the Rogue Engineering procedures? Doesn't look like it's on their site anymore.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Kenshin223 View Post
    Does anyone have access to the Rogue Engineering procedures? Doesn't look like it's on their site anymore.

Thanks!
    i initially got the saved PDF from Cak the OP in here but after that I thought to myself.. websites are Cached right? so found a wesite that had the web page cached..

here you go

http://web.archive.org/web/201502090.../E46M3MIR.html
    2003 ZHP 332i | S54 6 speed
    2002 ZHP Touring | M54 6 Speed

Good call! I think I have a PDF at home. I'll see if I can upload so we can have something permanent
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Awesome! Thanks guys. That is a big help.

anandoc

2004 330i auto | ZPP, ZCW | Schwarz 2 (668) | schwarz (N6SW)

aFe Stage-1 Pro DRY S intake | Morimoto FX-R 3.0 retrofit | ///M3 Seats (power, heat, bolster adj.) | ///M3 Strut Brace | ///M3 SMG Steering Wheel retrofit | OEM Alarm retrofit | GROM USB | Khoalty angel eyes

Awesome! Thanks
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Quote Originally Posted by anandoc View Post
    Thanks for posting the pdf in this thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The timing on this forum couldn't be better! I was dreading digging up a DIY for the M3 mirror install, now there's a pdf right here at my disposal. Thanks guys!

Edit: Per the pdf attached, you have grind down part of the mirror housing?? I was under the impression that the work was all with the ribbon cables and wiring? I'm completely confused now... Can someone please confirm exactly what needs to be done to make these things fit a sedan?
    2016 BMW M340i

BMW CCA Member . Dinan Stage 1 Software . Dinan 3.5" Exhaust . Dinan CAI & Turbo Inlet . VSRF Charge Pipe . H&R Sport Springs . CF: Front Splitter, Rear Valance, Trunk Spoiler, Roof Spoiler, M3 Mirror Covers . BMW Performance pedals . Gloss black ///M kidneys . 12mm F / 15mm R BMS Spacers. NGK 94201 Plugs .

2013 BMW X5 M-Sport - Sold
    2009 550i M-Sport - Sold
    2006 650i Vert - Sold
    2004 330i ZHP - Dead
    2001 330i Sport - Sold
    2004 330i ZHP - Sold
    1999 E36 M3 - Sold

Yes there is grinding and drilling involved to get the mirrors to fit. The angle/rake of the windshield doors, etc is different between the coup and sedan. You are making it fit where it wasn't supposed to fit...

Also, I'd reinforce the ribbon cable with clear packing tape from the connectors to the folds this will help it from tearing. the ribbon cable is really thin. I tore one of mine just trying to unplug the connector
    H&R sport springs,

the best thing to do is print out a ruler in MM and then use that paper ruler to mark off 4 mm hashmarks from the edge of the base plate. then lay over masking tape along those hash marks so you have an easy line to cut or grind to.

the idea is that the base plate is too THICK in the area they want you to grind so they are giving you the measurement and place to mark off to grind away 4mm of material of the M3 base plate.

if you dont grind, it could still fit but when the base plates are mounted to the door, the hypotenuse that is at the front of the car will look thicker than normal and could be OCD for some.

honestly I would remove your OLD mirror then hold up the M3 base plate and see how you like it the way it is... then if you think its too thick, follow the template to mark off 4mm of material and slowly grind away material and then bring the plate back to the car door and keep checking it. once yo have it exactly how you like then make the other one the exact same.

thats actually the easy part.

the harder part is when you remove the M3 mirror motors and then attempt to make your OWN baseplates that will not only accept your mirror motors BUT also have them centered decent enough. there is a lot of trial and error with the baseplate portion.

I made a baseplate template that you can use as a guide. I highly recommend printing this out to standard 8.5/11 paper and remove any options for scaling or scale to fit etc.... then cut out the baseplates from the templates and see if your motors fit into them. if they do then they printed to scale as I hoped they would.

BMW E46 Sedan M3 Mirror Baseplate Template 3 final.pdf

the 3 outter holes in each baseplate are what mount the baseplate TO the M3 mirror innards. I really reccomend making those holes adjustable. as in drill the wholes but then make them longer by drilling them out to the left and right of the initial hole this way when you mount the base plate you can TWIST the base plate to your liking for mirror motor test fit which in the end will ultimately decide how your actual M3 mirror sits inside the housing orientation wise.

then you can go to home depot and get the following materials for baseplates:

This is lexan window material, thick and easy to cut with a dremel and found in home depot door and window section. use this for baseplate material since not everyone has spare Dewalt boxes around to use for material.

IMG_20161211_123159 by Shawn Robertson, on Flickr

These are the bolts and nuts you need to mount the mirror motors to the baseplate
    IMG_20161211_134133 by Shawn Robertson, on Flickr

This is garage door seal that can be use to seal the mirror base plates when you mount them to the door to keep rain and water out and cut down on wind noise if there are any odd gaps in your base plates

IMG_20161211_134255 by Shawn Robertson, on Flickr

This is what my living room floor looked like getting started

IMG_20161210_214716 by Shawn Robertson, on Flickr

Laying down the Sedan mirror motors on the plastic to draw an outline to get started. you have no idea when doing this where to drill center hole for the mirrir motor to fit through.. its just measuring and lining up and test fitting back and forth. This is why i made the pDF with the base plate template to use as a guideline to help you get this done quicker.

IMG_20161211_135656 by Shawn Robertson, on Flickr

IMG_20161211_135710 by Shawn Robertson, on Flickr

this plastic doesnt CRACK, it merely scratches.. its tough as nails literally.

IMG_20161211_214642 by Shawn Robertson, on Flickr

I chose to use Gorilla glue when it came time to mount the NUTS to the back of the base plates for the motor screws. it is just as good for this application as JB Weld. You will mount the motors into the cut base plates then insert the longer screws that go through the new base plates then thread on the new nuts as tight as you can using a socket to hold the nut in plate and tightening with a screw driver. once its smug, use the gorilla glue on the outsides of the nuts and let it dry hard then just be gentle and careful when loosening the nuts. I chose to use a wrench or socket to hold the nuts in place to be more secure when loosening the screws just to be safe. thes nuts need to be glued in since when you go to install the mirror motor on the base plate finally, you wont be able to hold onto the nuts to thread the screws in the end.

ALso you will notice an extra black 3 pin plug on your sedan motors... thats for the power folding motors in the sedan housings that most likely are not present in your mirrors but all E46s have them anyways.

IMG_20161212_194352 by Shawn Robertson, on Flickr

now the base plates once modified and you need to mount them... the existing holes in your sedan doors will NOT be used. You will need to drill 2 NEW holes to make use of the threaded holes on the M3 base plates.

to do that I used 2 deck screws i had laying around and cut the HEADS off with a dremel and then just inserted them into the open threaded holes in the base plate. then I placed blue painters tape on the sedan door mirror mounting area and then mounted or held the M3 base plates to the sedan door lightly adjusting the base plate to my liking then once it was oriented the way I like, I pressed firmly which then put pressure from the deck screws into the tape leaving holes/depressions that I could easily mark wiht a sharpie to drill out with a drill.

IMG_20161210_163622 by Shawn Robertson, on Flickr

ALso I reused the original Sedan Mirror foam outside gasket. I just trimmed out the innards where the m3 mirror mount holes would go through. I wanted to make sure I had decent weather sealing still.

IMG_20161210_163634 by Shawn Robertson, on Flickr

and here is me applying the garage door seal around the edges as well before my final install of the assembled mirrors.

IMG_20161212_231444 by Shawn Robertson, on Flickr

good luck and if you have any questions feel free to ask. its still pretty fresh in my mind... im scared for life from this MOD. you definitely WANT to have M3 mirrors bad to put yourself through this retrofit. its the most ridiculous one I have ever done.
    2003 ZHP 332i | S54 6 speed
    2002 ZHP Touring | M54 6 Speed

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast