Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Did you buy that BMW perf intake new?

No sir, got it in very good condition from a member here. Unless you were one of the lucky 5 to get in on that super deal for new ones a few weeks ago, any new ones out there are mucho expensivo. And word on the street is they're discontinued. I tried to get one from the dealer who had the $399 offer after his price went back up to $650. Price didn't matter, because he couldn't get them anyway.
    JEFF
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________________________
    04 330Ci ZHP | Imola Red | Black Leather | 6MT | BMW Performance Intake | BMW Performance Shift Knob | BMW Performance Strut Bar
    Homelink | BMW Alarm | BMW Aux | Interior LED Retrofit | XM Radio | Imola/Matte Grilles | Yakima Whispbar Roof Rack | Ultimate Cupholders

Yeah the BMW intake is on my list of future things to buy - but I'm afraid (and quite certain) that I won't be able to buy one for less than $600. Good for you finding it for cheap!

Both cars looking great my friend.

Here's a couple of good reads for your GF.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...s-of-Suffering

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...ot-and-Hellish
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Thanks, Dane!!

I'll pass those on. Or maybe not

This'll be her third, and it's a sprint distance, but she's pretty freaked out. We've had what they call a "late winter" (it snowed last week), and they keep canceling the open water swim practice, since water temps in lakes around here are hovering at a balmy 48 degrees right now.

I told her I'd love to do one of these triathlons with her, if they'd just eliminate the swimming. And the running. And maybe have beer there. We did Warrior Dash together last year. That was pretty fun
    JEFF
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________________________
    04 330Ci ZHP | Imola Red | Black Leather | 6MT | BMW Performance Intake | BMW Performance Shift Knob | BMW Performance Strut Bar
    Homelink | BMW Alarm | BMW Aux | Interior LED Retrofit | XM Radio | Imola/Matte Grilles | Yakima Whispbar Roof Rack | Ultimate Cupholders

Quote Originally Posted by jgt_zhp View Post
    Thanks, Dane!!

I'll pass those on. Or maybe not

This'll be her third, and it's a sprint distance, but she's pretty freaked out. We've had what they call a "late winter" (it snowed last week), and they keep canceling the open water swim practice, since water temps in lakes around here are hovering at a balmy 48 degrees right now.

I told her I'd love to do one of these triathlons with her, if they'd just eliminate the swimming. And the running. And maybe have beer there. We did Warrior Dash together last year. That was pretty fun
    Yikes. More power to her. My last gf did marathons. I'm quite content just running my normal 5 miles or so.
    "Cam"

2009 Ultrasonic Blue Mica/Alpine White ISF
    1998 Nassau Blue/Grey C5 Corvette 6spd Sold
    2003 Imola Red/Alcantara 330i ZHP 6spd Sold
    2002 TiAg/Black M3 6spd Sold

Got to say, the Mothers PowerBall 4Light All-In-One Headlight Restoration Kit is pretty underwhelming. And my lights weren't bad to begin with.

One starts with the polish and the little pom-pom thing in the drill chuck, and basically, that just verifies that you really need the "Supplemental Severe Damage Restoration Kit", consisting of two tiny two-sided wet sanding pads. Dumps you right out of that "perfect clarity in minutes" using a power tool, and more like an hour of hand sanding followed by the polishing.

Biggest problem with these little pads of 800/1000/1500/2000 grit abrasive is the life span of the pads is about one headlight. I started on the passenger side light. Did the initial polish. Verified "oh, yeah, there's still pitting and surface imperfection. Sanded the crap out of it, repolished it. And I guess it looks pretty good. I don't know that I'd say "crystal clear", but obviously better than it looked before. I could probably accept this level of finish.

I've got Lamin-X film coming tomorrow. I want these things nice before I start protecting them.

Moved on to the driver side. You're supposed to always polish first, so the wet sanding pads aren't wasted just scrubbing off dead bugs and stuff. Well, on this light, the sanding doesn't seem to be doing much. It feels different, and never really gets to that "uniform, whitish" look you're supposed to achieve before you polish. But I polish anyway. Not happy with the results at all. So I go through the whole progression of sanding again. Polish again. I'm seeing a lot of "again" in this narrative, anybody else picking up on that?? So, I've done it twice, and it still doesn't look as good as the other side. Still shows pits and wear.

SCORECARD

Mother's Box - 20 minutes of polishing with the Mother's Powerball and "clarity in minutes".

Jeff's Garage - 10 minutes of polishing, 30 minutes of sanding, 10 minutes of polishing, 10 minutes of polishing, 30 minutes of sanding, 10 minutes of polishing, another 20 minutes of sanding, another 10 minutes of polishing, immediate admission of defeat. Tomorrow - 40 minute trip to buy 4 grades of wet sanding paper, 10 minutes of taping, 30 minutes of sanding, and it better look spectacular.

So, Mother's Kit - $14. Additional Supplies to finish job - $12 Estimated. Half a day of labor - Priceless.
    JEFF

Those headlight lenses better be damn near invisible after a half days' worth of polishing!

I had a friend try out one of those kits on his girlfriend's car once, it didn't work out too well there either. Some wet sanding by hand a a quick go-over with compound, finishing polish, and some sealant will always work the best.
    - Evan - Karting Thread - YouTube -

My brother used the 3M kit on his Jetta recently. Fantastic results in less than an hour of work.

Quote Originally Posted by Avetiso View Post
    My brother used the 3M kit on his Jetta recently. Fantastic results in less than an hour of work.
    Thats what I used and had great results. I then had a shop film them so they won't chip or fade.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

Mods: Smoked corners, smoked side markers, smoked tails, 35% tint, CF kidney grills, debadged, angel eyes, 3000k HID Fogs, OBX exhaust, Sharked, solo werks S1 coilovers, front and rear strut brace, AUX cable
    "I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone built it for me"

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast