Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Do you have the button that looks like a speaker on? It is on the heated seat row.

Actually I will have to check. I remember playing with that button before lol. Would that still work without the factory amp? I am determined to do the Pioneer in the trunk install. I have confirmed that the faceplate can be extended and there is plenty of space in the trunk rack for the head unit. Also the DEH-80 has an Aux in on the back so I can plug the pre outs from my stock Sat Nav into it and not lose the stock radio. Although I will probably never use it much. PAC make a converter for the variable balanced outputs so the signal should be ok using the Aux in. I have cut holes in the door (cringe) to let the 6.5s breath, but have yet to make rings to mount them to the door. It definitely added more low end to the midwoofers and the door is not vibrating quite so much. I also got one of the Dynaudio midranges in (cringe cringe) and I used a MB Quart mid grill on it and it doesn't look too out of place aside from how big it is. I realise I am probably repeating myself quite a bit with all of this but I can't seem to rest until its done. I also had no idea how time consuming all of this would be.

I thought I would share a pic of the Dynaudio midrange in the door. Probably not the highest quality. Yes I know some of you may say "How could he do that to a ZHP?" But I thought that the old midrange would just be there doing nothing since I replaced woofs and tweets. I had the midranges and I thought I may as well put them in. I had no idea of the stress this would cause. Enlarging the hole wasn't too bad. The Dynaudio midranges are a bit more shallow than the stock midrange so depth wasn't a problem. However it was a nightmare trying to find grills for them. The domes are HUGE. I was very fortunate to find a set of MB Quart grills for a 4" mid. I had to buy the speakers to get them but it had to be done. I actually prefer them to the Dynaudio grills as they do have an almost stock German look to them. But they are monstrosities. I haven't hooked them up yet. I am liking the Dynaudios more and more. I am hoping that when I actually connect the midranges that it will be even better than the two way. Everything becomes so complicated by adding the midrange. It is so difficult to find an active crossover solution as many head units and amps have a two way plus sub in mind. What I thought would be perhaps a days job of putting speakers and an amp in have turned into 3 weeks of obsession. It is ridiculous how time consuming all of this has been. But I am hoping in the end it will be worth it. I picked up some old school PPI amps and they sound very very detailed. But of course they don't want to play nice with the Differential Balanced output from the Sat Nav. I probably should have stuck to JL as they accept the stock output very well. So here it is. A big ugly midrange in the middle of my door.

By the way. The button was on, however it doesn't do anything as I have bypassed the stock amp. But it is interesting that its the stock amp that readjusts itself to change the sound.

German Audio Specialties just developed a passive crossover for BMWs. I do not know if it will work for you, but it would not hurt to ask them. https://www.facebook.com/germanaudio...ation=timeline

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12