Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Suspension, Front Clunks

Some of you are familiar with my current issue from my intro thread.

Complaint: I am having a certain clunk/clanking sound from the front suspension. Most audible while driving around 15-25mph over certain bumps. It does not occur exclusively while turning, it does not occur over every bump, especially at higher speed or hard bumps. It is mostly during slower speeds and over the smaller bumps and changes in road surfaces.

Some of you here think I need to look at FCABs and FSMs. I raised the car up from the front, one side at a time, and grabbed the wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock. I pushed and pulled in and out, and there is some play and some noise. Not the same noise, but I can imagine that with the weight of the car and at speed, it can be the same sound I hear while driving.

I took my ZHP to the Firestone across the street from my job, because it's conveniently right there. They came back and told me it is the sway bar end links.

If I understand correctly though, if it were the endlinks, wouldn't I hear a pop when taking turns or cycling the steering wheel from side to side instead? Can the end links be noisy like I described while driving straight?

I am doubting Firestone right now.

Ok... First off, my post in your intro thread had nothing to do with your clunk. You asked "what else should I do, while I'm in there?". That's what my advice was regarding.

I recommend you follow Bruce's advice in your intro thread, and then replace those attendant components.

EDIT: Ok. I've now read the above post fully. I do not think the end links would be noisy in straight driving conditions. CAB's? Yes. FSM'S? no.... Unless they are seriously shot (should be visible by looking in engine bay if they are that bad).

Why did your mechanic say endlinks?

I'm going to ask you what I always ask. Did you ask the mechanic to show you the issue? You guys that don't diy have to do this. If he did show you, what did you see?

HTC DNA, Williamsburg, VA
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Ok... First off, my post in your intro thread had nothing to do with your clunk. You asked "what else should I do, while I'm in there?". That's what my advice was regarding.

I recommend you follow Bruce's advice in your intro thread, and then replace those attendant components.

EDIT: Ok. I've now read the above post fully. I do not think the end links would be noisy in straight driving conditions. CAB's? Yes. FSM'S? no.... Unless they are seriously shot (should be visible by looking in engine bay if they are that bad).

Why did your mechanic say endlinks?
    They said it's the only part they could tell had any play when they inspected the car. Everything else looked good, according to them.

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    I'm going to ask you what I always ask. Did you ask the mechanic to show you the issue? You guys that don't diy have to do this. If he did show you, what did you see?
    No. I dropped the car off during lunch, came back to work. They told me that by phone,

Screw it. I'm going to pull the trigger on CABs. Might as well.

Genuine BMW. Ordered. $155.

I have a feeling noises won't end until I've gone thru most of the suspension

Most likely. It seems that with these suspensions, degradation of ride/noise, is due to many small issues not just one big one.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

I concur with endlinks.

Had a similar experience with a different vehicle and it was the endlinks.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Quote Originally Posted by kayger12 View Post
    I concur with endlinks.

Had a similar experience with a different vehicle and it was the endlinks.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    That will probably be next week's project once the CABs fail to resolve the issue

Sent from the intergalactic planetary, planetary intergalactic.
    Fun: 2000 Porsche 911 C2 6-Speed
    Daily: 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland

End links, I had similar symptoms and new Lemforders took care of the problem.

This is interesting if it turns out to be the end links.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast