Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Complete suspension refresh (opinions needed)

Due to some unforeseen circumstances, I will need to replace a bent strut on the front passenger side of the car. My ZHP has 105k on the odometer and I had planned on replacing all of the suspension components at the same time, just not yet.

So right now I'm looking for opinions on which suspension kit to go with. I want to replace

control arms
    control arm bushings
    rear trailer arms
    rear trailer arm bushings
    end links
    tie rods
    shock mounts

front struts
    rear shocks

What I want from the suspension kit

OE performance. I want it to handle as good if not better than when it rolled out of the factory. I don't mind the ride being slightly stiffer than stock to get these results. I don't plan to track the car since it is my daily so I don't want it to be racecar stiff. But I do enjoy taking right hand turns hard enough to break a Honda in half.

Lower it. Maybe half an inch maybe. I'm not too worried about lowering the car, especially around MD roads. But I would like to lower it a little bit, whether that means adjustable or not.

So let me know what kits work and let me know if I have missed anything on the list. Or if something is on that list that really doesn't need to be there. I'm all ears ladies and gentlemen.
    2005 Jet Black 6MT ZHP "Family First"
    ~Rob~

About a month ago, I did a partial suspension refresh. I went with Koni FSD's. I used the ECS Tuning mounting kit that included strut and shock mounts and reinforcement plates, spring pads, and all new hardware. I replaced the from sway bar links with OEM parts. I replaced the front control arm bushings about 50K miles ago (the car has 111K now) and I used Meyle HD's. They were significantly less than OEM and they are still in very good shape. I am still on the original control arms and ball joints and they are still tight. I did read that Turner Sports uses the ZHP control arms on all of the E46 race cars, so they must be pretty good pieces of hardware. A little pricey compared to Meyle, but when the time comes, I will likely go with the OEM part based on the Turner info.

I hadn't realized how the suspension had worn and become soft. Driving after the refresh was like going back to when the car was new.

That's what I did when I refreshed my suspension. Hope it helps you out!

IMO,

I would only replace things that are necessary as far as the suspension parts goes.

control arms (these should be inspected. Mine are still great after 124k. )
    control arm bushings (These are definitely always on the list)
    rear trailer arms (What exactly are you replacing here? IMO this seems excessive to replace these arms unless there is something wrong with them..)
    rear trailer arm bushings (Replace these and get some RTAB limiters for a tighter feel)
    end links (I wouldn't replace unless they are worn and need replacement)
    tie rods (Unless there is play, I wouldn't replace this either.)
    shock mounts (Definitely get some reinforcements for the rear shock mounts from the big companies and the front you can always get the shock reinforcement mounts. http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-M3-S54_3.2L/ES128656/ )

front struts
    rear shocks

For suspension that is an OEM style feel, I believe those H&R touring/race combos or Bilstien/H&R setups are pretty close to OEM while dropping the car a bit.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-47...n-package.aspx something like this.

This is my opinion how to go about replacing things on the car related to suspension. IMO it makes sense to replace only the things necessary unless I really insisted on replacing everything at once for a full crazy overhaul. If that is the case, eveything you listed sounds good except the rear trailing arms. Are you expecting to replace the entire arm? or the upper/lower balljoints and RTABs? what about the wheelbearing/hub?

I like my H&R Cup Kit, Meyle HD shock mounts, adjustible end links. I had already replaced bushings with OEM under CPO, so no comment on those or the other pieces.
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Good info, Sub'd for when I do mine.
    BAV Stage 1 - BlueBus - UltraGauge - V1 - Orion V4's - ARC-8's - Brembo 996
    TTFS Engine/SMG Tune/CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri
    VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - OE CSL Trunk - BWS 500S 9k/11k

Thanks for the input guys. Derbo I really like the kit you picked out. However I am concerned that lowering the car 1.4'" seems like a lot.

I'm pretty sure my tie rods and end links are fine (John why did you end up going with adjustable end links?)

I wasn't sure how long rear trailer arms were good for. Again I haven't done any suspension work since I have owned the car in 2011 so I was going to go crazy with it, but it trailer arms aren't really replaced then I'll just leave them and do bushings. I plan to use OEM bushings not Meyle.

I've heard good things about Koni but I really like Bilstein/H&R. I'm gonna keep looking and see what else is out there.

One last thing, will I rub with stock wheels and tired with this suspension you picked out?
    ~Rob~

Complete suspension refresh (opinions needed)

Quote Originally Posted by Newjack View Post
    Thanks for the input guys. Derbo I really like the kit you picked out. However I am concerned that lowering the car 1.4'" seems like a lot.
    keep your stock springs, buy these late top mounts (some people call them E90 drop hats)

pn 31336764093

this is what they look like installed on an E30

Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    keep your stock springs, buy these late top mounts (some people call them E90 drop hats)

pn 31336764093

Interesting, mmmmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post

pn 31336764093

Wouldn't keeping stock springs defeat the purpose of a suspension refresh? Especially since my front passenger strut is bent?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    ~Rob~

Keeping stock springs but refreshing bushings and replacing shocks/struts will refresh the handling performance to where it was when new. If those E390 drop hats lower you 1/4" or 1/2" on OEM springs, that will slightly reduce body roll in the corners. It should be an improvement over what you have now.

If you also replace springs you can get lower (for looks and reduced body roll) and stiffer (reduced body roll, less chance of hitting the bump stops when lowered).

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast