Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Automatic Car Wash.... should I?

I've been weary about running my BMW through the Auto Wash (probably conditioned to all I read about how "bad" and damaging they are???), but we did run the Elantra and the Tbird through one after the last snow/salt fest we had a few weeks ago. the Bimmer didn't see much salt/snow so I didn't do it, BUT now it's just generally dirty and the white shows it...I've been weary about auto car washes for such a "new" (to me) car....but it has reached the point where people tell me " damn that car's dirty!" ...esp. the wheels. while the Elantra and Tbird looks pretty clean and nice, even though it was just the exterior (auto) wash and hand dry (That's all I got - not even the interior, as i can do THAT at home better than them - or at least I use better products)

We (still) live in an apt complex and car washing is not allowed...and I've been way too busy to take it to a DIY car wash...same reason (time) I can't do anything with a No-Rinse type of product either... will wait till we move and have our own place/garage to REALLY start washing/detailing by myself.

I guess I'll bite the bullet and run it through the auto wash, and then I can keep it clean using the Poor Boys' quick detailer I have...After all, when I took the Tbird to the Auto Wash (they hand dry the cars afterwards) I saw a MB CL55 AMG being run through it...it can't be that bad, huh? This auto wash is a one with where the car is run through big rubber stripes or whatever...not the huge "brush" like things...
    2005 AW ZHP Coupe. CW, Alcantara, Leather st. wheel, HK, Xenons, Step, Dinan chip & air box, USASpec, Sprint Booster

If you do use an automatic wash, stay away from the ones that touch the car with those dirty brushes and the ones that have a track that you drive into and it pulls your car through (they scuff wheels bigtime).

Automatic wash > leaving salt on your car.

Thanks - so what type of Auto car wash does that leave me with? (sorry I am not well versed in types)
    2005 AW ZHP Coupe. CW, Alcantara, Leather st. wheel, HK, Xenons, Step, Dinan chip & air box, USASpec, Sprint Booster

The ones that uses sensors to determine length and width of your car and allow you to drive in and out on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Washburn View Post
    Thanks - so what type of Auto car wash does that leave me with? (sorry I am not well versed in types)
    Single bay brushless or touchless type where you drive in and the automated water jets move around the car while it's parked.

Also check out this thread if you haven't come across it yet.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Quote Originally Posted by kayger12 View Post
    Single bay brushless or touchless type where you drive in and the automated water jets move around the car while it's parked.
    Also known as touchless car washes.
    I hear bad things about the chemicals used though, something about it being damaging to paint over time...
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

BP, that's why I haven't put my cars through those things. I'm worried about the harshness of the chemicals.

Say goodbye to any wax you may have applied
    -ADAM

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus-SanDiego View Post
    BP, that's why I haven't put my cars through those things. I'm worried about the harshness of the chemicals.
    Still, it won't be worse than leaving salt on the car for an extended period.

Washburn,
    Are you telling me they won't even allow something like Optimum No Rinse at your complex? How retarded is that? Are they afraid of their pavement getting a few drops of water on it?
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast