Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Modified BMW 330 ZHP Stock Exhaust Sound

This may go without saying, but I love the stock exhaust note.

I was wondering if there was something I could do that wouldn't change the sound quality, but would increase the volume?

Like maybe get rid of a resonator or modify something somehow? Bonus if it's reversible in case I don't like the new sound.

I don't wanna buy any kind of aftermarket exhaust.

TIA
    Lance
    Autobahn South
    S/ASH
    My car finds your lack of faith disturbing

Some people delete one or both resonators, but as I have read... low end torque suffers due to the reduced backpressure. I get exhaust envy at every autocross event when I hear all those E36 M3's out on course. It's just a bit more than what we have, but different too.

I gotta say, the ZHP exhaust is the perfect execution... throaty at low throttle openings and slow speed when you can enjoy it... quiet at freeway speeds when you don't want that annoying drone. It's this combination that has kept me from changing it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
    Jeff

Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA - Autocross - Join Us!

"You drive like old people $#@%... slow and sloppy!" - George Carlin

+1. i love the sounds at low speeds. glad i dont have them at highway speeds, and when i hammer down? mmmmmmmmmmm
    "No, Donny, these men are nihilists, there's nothing to be afraid of"

09 135i Msport 6mt
    04 330i ZHP (sold)
    David

I always go back to this one. Headers and a Borla cat-back system. It's loud but sounds great.

+1 on the OEM being the best exhaust I know of. Perfect sound, but just a little too quiet for its own good...
    That Borla system is obnoxiously loud. I don't want authorities to hear me when I boot it, but I definitely want to hear some engine noise on the highway so I don't have to keep checking the speedo for my speed...

Let me know if you find something, Lance, in the event that you do go aftermarket.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Nah, no plans to go aftermarket.
    Lance
    Autobahn South
    S/ASH
    My car finds your lack of faith disturbing

Lance,
    I can vouch for the HKS exhaust system. We put it on my son's first BMW, an '00 323ci. I made him research it and he learned that the exhaust was pretty much useless unless you made it breathe better first. Plus, if both of those worked, then you needed to remap the S/W. So he ended up buying a package from Bimmerworld -- HKS catback stainless exhaust (2 into 1 and a dual exit), aFES intake, and the Shark Injector. Performance -- immediate and noticeable, his 170hp stock 2.5L now ran just about even with our '03 330cic. Rear end gears were identical, same with trannies (5 spds), but there's a couple of hundred pound weight difference between the coupe and conv, so my guess was he gained 25-35 hp. As far as sound, it was about the same as the ZHP but a slight bit louder on the low end of the RPM band. Highway speeds were definitely louder than stock but about the same as the ZHP. And its no where near as loud as Remus or Borla, you can run higher RPMs without the drone. Sorry that I never recorded it because we both loved the sound. He's contemplating it again, the package deal, for his '05 ZHP coupe but right now he has another more pressing financial need (can you say first speeding ticket which he will pay for along with the corresponding increase in our insurance policy). So he works part time at a golf course, he's a single digit handicapper, plus some of the older guys use him to hustle new cocky adults (he looks very young) and then they split the winnings with him. When the warmer weather comes he'll probaly earn enough from the two to finance a new exhaust.

Bruce
    21 GMC Sierra - mine
    16 X5 M-Sport - wife
    11 M3 - 1st son
    04 Tundra - 2nd son
    17 X1 M-Sport - daughter

Former (mo/yr sold):
    15 335xi M-Sport (8/18)
    11 335is (8/17)
    11 X5 AW/blk (11/15)
    04 330xi blk/gray (7/15)
    06 ZHP SGM/blk (6/15)
    08 335xi blue/blk (4/15)
    04 ZHPci MB/blk (2/14)
    04 ZHPcic IR/Alc (10/13)
    01 540iT anthra/blk (7/13)
    04 ZHPci TIAG/blk (9/12)
    03 540i M-Sport (9/12)
    01 325ci (3/12)
    02 325iT 5MT (10/11)
    05 ZHPci (7/11)
    03 330cic (2/11)
    00 323ci (10/10)

Gut the cat and find a really Really good place to get yearly inspections.

Two things I have been thinking about.
    I heard that using an x pipe in place of the resonator will keep the back pressure for the low end torque. Not sure, but a thought.

What about going with headers and keeping the rear stock. At least add a couple hp removing those crazy angles.
    -JJ
    2005 Zhp Sedan (Sold), back in the 2004 Allroad 2.7t

It's way too raspy.

Same car as the one I posted above before he got the Borla catback. This clip is headers only.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast