Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Buffer and backing plate recommendations?

Leaning towards a Porter Cable 7424XP Random Orbital Buffer. Any recommendations on size of backing plates (6" and 4" or 3" perhaps)? Pads: Lake Country Red, Orange Blue? Thanks.

I went with the PC and have been happy with it. I originally bought the 6" backer but found it to be too big and ended up switching to a 4.

Lots of great info here http://www.detailedimage.com/Auto-Detailing-Guide/
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

THanks. So you just use the 4" all over? I was thinking a bigger and smaller one may be the right setup for panels and tighter spots.

I had the same train of thought initially.

I think it was Kyle (Monk3y) who told me that the smaller pads get better results. I can't remember what the exact reason was, but I know he knows his detailing and trusted his advice on that.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Can we get a little more chat on this topic going? More specifically, lets discuss the different options out there.

Porter 7424XP (or another model? this just seems to be the one most people get)
    Griot's Garage 6" Random Orbital?

Other brands?

My el cheapo 6" buffer died on me (after many years of solid service, so I can't complain), and I'm wondering if I should step up to one of these high dollar units...

And if I should step up to one of these high dollar buffers... WHY? Thanks in advance for the advice!
    2011 E90 Lemans Blue/Bamboo Beige M3- Harrop Supercharged IG: lmb_zcp
    2013 F25 Alpine White/Chestnut X3 35i- Family Hauler
    2006 R53 British Racing Green/Panther Black Mini Cooper S FOR SALE! DM for details!
    Past: 2010 X5M, 2014 328d, 2003 330i ZHP, 2004 330i ZHP, 2012 X3 35i
    WTB!! 2009-2012 E91 328i Touring Contact me with info!

And just for reference... This is the Walmart variety buffer I had...

http://www.blackanddecker.com/power-tools/W006B.aspx
    2006 R53 British Racing Green/Panther Black Mini Cooper S FOR SALE! DM for details!

I'd also like to hear about pads that are prefered. I have these in mind: Lake Country Hydro-Tech 4 x 1.25 Inch Foam Pads 1) Cyan Advanced Cutting Foam, 2)
    Tangerine Ultra Polishing Foam , 3) Crimson Finishing Foam

Sure, lets talk pads too... Why does everyone like foam and not the terry cloth or microfiber? What's the consensus?

Porter Cable and Griots and Meguiars Random Orbitals are really all the same. I'm going on around 5 years since my PC purchase and it is in tip top shape.

For the backing plate, I use a Meguiars Backing Plate that has a foam medium. I can't remember the name but I know it is on detailedimage and other sites. That is a good backing plate because it applies even pressure to the pad, which helps eliminate marring and other defects caused by uneven pressure. These problems are more often seen in rotarys, not orbitals, but regardless, I like them.

As for pads, the general consensus is that for a Random Orbital a smaller pad is better. It is kind of toss up between a 5" and 4" pad. Personally I would go 4" if possible. It is limited returns if you go any smaller, as you'll have to spend alot more time on each panel. Anyways since the PC is not forced rotation, a smaller pad will thus spin faster, and yield better correction.

This is flip flopped on a rotary, as the larger pad you go, the more correction you'll achieve.

As for type of pads, it really all depends on the compounds. There is never one set formula I can tell you (but generally it works for most BMWs). Different cars in different climates with different conditions will vary on polish/pad combo.

As I don't know what polishes you are using, it'll be tough to recommend something. I have not done much research on microfiber pads, but I've heard they are starting to become more popular, especially with the packages Meguiars is throwing together.

Typically, for standard polishes it will be LCC Orange and White, or Hydro Cyan and Tangerine. This would be for a 2 step polish, obviously.

Hopefully this helps, I'll only be available until tomorrow, after that I'll be unavailable for 2 weeks, as I'm currently in Barcelona and going to be sailing the Mediterranean coast.

Adios¡

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Project STX: TCKline Racing l APEX l Vorshlag l Eibach l Hawk l Schroth l BMW Performance

Dude, you sent that from your phone... Someone buy this guy a beer!

Edit: just read the last sentence. You suck, sir.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast