Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Where do you store your Images

Casey:

How do you store your digital images before, during and after any work has been done on them. How much memory is enough. I just ordered Lightroom3 and Silver Efex. I'm planning on buying an external drive for storage. Any suggestions? Brand, amount of memory, etc. I have someone here at work that said he has 4 terabytes on his external HD. That just seems so outrageous.

My work flow for saving looks something like this.

1. download from camera to computer.
    2. copy from computer to Tb drive 1
    3. create folder on Tb drive 2
    4. edit, process and save edited files to Tb drive 2
    5. copy files from Tb drive to Tb drive 2
    6. delete files from computer.

I have 2.5 Tb of space for storage and will need to upgrade another Tb this year.

i usually keep them on an external hd

Nobody uses RAID array or other redundant backup methods?

Also, when considering storage size options remember that the type of file you're using to capture (jpeg vs raw, etc.) can make a big difference along with how many megapixels your camera has.

I have a Canon 50D (15.1mp) and shoot raw. The file size is ridiculous at generally around 18 megs a photo. Drives fill up in a hurry at that size...

By comparison, raw shots on my old starter Rebel xt ran about a third that.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

i agree with kayger12

I've been concerned lately about this because I would like to ensure the photo memories of my daughter remain safe.

I use the normal online sites (Shutterfly, Flickr, and Photobucket) - but mostly for sharing and photo gifts.

I currently backup my phots to DVD and store in my firesafe. I was just saving on my HDD but the jpegs from my Canon were getting corrupted. Weird. I used to save RAW but was having some difficulty using a photo editor I had with the files so I switched to jpeg.

I've been thinking about using online storage to backup my data. An old school computer radio talk show guy, Leo Laporte, does "this WEEK in Tech" @ TWiT.tv. One of his sponsors is Carbonite.com. Unlimited encrypted backup space for $54.95. There are others - may have better deals. Something to check out.

A RAID wouldn't be a bad idea locally, but after considering the potential risk for disaster, I'd prefer off-site in the long term.

Hankook Ventus V4's 205/55/16 | 16" BMW OE Style 45's | ECSTuning 15mm Spacers | Thule 45050 Crossroad Rack | Thule 870XT Fairing | LLumar 35%/20% Tint
    Custom Vienna Austria Euro Plate | GoMiniGo "No-Holes" License Plate Bracket | Smoked License Plate Cover | Black License Plate Frame | Khoalty LED License Plate Lights

Quote Originally Posted by billschusteriv View Post
    I've been concerned lately about this because I would like to ensure the photo memories of my daughter remain safe.

I use the normal online sites (Shutterfly, Flickr, and Photobucket) - but mostly for sharing and photo gifts.

I currently backup my phots to DVD and store in my firesafe. I was just saving on my HDD but the jpegs from my Canon were getting corrupted. Weird. I used to save RAW but was having some difficulty using a photo editor I had with the files so I switched to jpeg.

I've been thinking about using online storage to backup my data. An old school computer radio talk show guy, Leo Laporte, does "this WEEK in Tech" @ TWiT.tv. One of his sponsors is Carbonite.com. Unlimited encrypted backup space for $54.95. There are others - may have better deals. Something to check out.

A RAID wouldn't be a bad idea locally, but after considering the potential risk for disaster, I'd prefer off-site in the long term.
    Agreed. I've been thinking about carbonite myself. I have all my photos backed up on an external backup drive. For off-site insurance, I back them up again onto DVDs and keep those is a fire safe at my Father's house. Giant pita burning all the photos to DVD, not to mention if my house burns to the ground I'll lose whatever I've shot over the last few months since the last off-site backup.

Going to look into carbonite again. Any chance for an affiliate advertiser deal with them, Mark?
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Quote Originally Posted by mimalmo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by billschusteriv View Post

I use a Network Attached Storage unit with RAID-enabled Terabyte drives. If a drive fails, no worries; the other drive still carries the data, and you can swap out the bad drive and it will replicate once that's done.
    BUT, the safest AND best way is to have two backups of your data. So, have a copy off of your computer, AND an off-site location if it's data that you cannot afford to lose.
    The problem with carbonite is that it's a recurring charge. For many of us, it's an extra bill we don't want.

Personally, I have lots of data I don't want to lose, but wouldn't make me lose my job or some other major aspect of my life if it got destroyed, so I just keep my RAID-enabled NAS and leave it at that.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Just signed up for Carbonite today.
    3 years for $129.
    Unlimited data.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast