Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Is there any benefit to Crashplan free. Use laymen terms please.
    The free version doesn't back up to their servers - that means it'll back it up to another computer in your home, or even a friend's computer if you can convince them to let you use their storage and bandwidth!

Quote Originally Posted by ryankokesh View Post
    Lacie makes the best external drives. You'll pay a premium for them though.
    It doesn't matter what hard drive you use. Best not to pay the premium. LaCie isn't a hard drive brand; they use common brands of hard drives such as Seagate.
    You really are better off either getting your own hard drive with a longer warranty and throwing it in an external case or buying one ready-made, such as the Western Digital MyBook or the Seagate FreeAgent. I recommend the SeaGate because of the long 5-year (many models) warranty.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

I have used Seagate since the start of PCs...LOL. No Seagate has failed on me yet. I have a server downstairs that's been running since 2002 and rarely turns off unless there's a vacation. That Seagate harddrive is still running with no odd noises and it's been more than 8 years!

The ones I have had fail or diagnosed other's failures are Hitachi, Toshiba, and Maxtor.
    --Trevor--
    Vancouver, BC

Quote Originally Posted by ryankokesh View Post
    The free version doesn't back up to their servers - that means it'll back it up to another computer in your home, or even a friend's computer if you can convince them to let you use their storage and bandwidth!
    Thats crap.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Dane, you could always use 3.5" floppy disks in a magnetically sealed lunchbox.

Mmmm.........lmao!!!!!

I'm just gonna get a 1TB drive.....ass monkey.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Thats crap.
    Lol

For what it's worth, I've had two western digital external drives fail on me. My seagate's still going strong though.

Mmmm.........lmao!!!!!

I'm just gonna get a 1TB drive.....ass monkey.
    If you're using an external drive as a backup, make sure it's actually that- a backup. As in all the content is actually stored somewhere else. My parents' external drive was used to store all their pictures, and it physically failed. It would have cost them about $2k to have the data professionally restored, but I was lucky enough to be able to fix it and recover most of their stuff. Took me many many many hours...

You could get a RAID device though - I think it's raid 0 that you'd want? I forgot... But it's basically a couple of drives grouped together in one box, and then if one drive fails you can swap it out without losing any data. It could definitely save you a whole lot of pain. Or you could be totally fine with a normal drive. It'd just be like insurance. Except that every drive, given enough time and use, will eventually fail. Some sooner than others I guess. Oh, and if you ever hear weird clicking, immediately back it up to a new drive!

I'll stop rambling now

I've had a bad experience with seagate. i had a 320 gig drive fail on me. had a lot of data that i wanted to keep. my western digital drives have not failed ever even 40gig drives that are 6 to 7 years old. essentially the best type of hdd to use is a ssd (solid state drive) so a large flash drive in a sense. They make up to 60 or 100 gig ssd drives though they are much pricier than standard magnetic drives. No moving parts= less chance of failure.

Yeah, in a few years I bet most everything but the xl capacities will be ssd...as far as I'm concerned, that day can't come soon enough!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123