Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Don't use Goof Off on your Paint

So, my dad was painting beehives next to my car, on a windy day. Bad idea. Half my front end got sprinkled in tiny little dots of paint.

Washing and rubbing didn't work, so I went to Target and bought Goof Off. Bad idea.

Sprayed it all over my hood and let it sit. Then took hot water, a soft sponge, and a little bit of Chemical Guys car soap and scrubbed off all the dots. Then, after I washed my car, I noticed that the clear coat was slightly melted/streaked wherever the cleaner had touched it. Now I need to find someone to buff it all out.

Also, the paint/clearcoat/Goof Off mixture got on my Khoalty flat black grills, and ruined the finish. I had to repaint them flat black.

Not the end of the world, not that big of a problem, but I wouldn't want someone to repeat the same mistake.
    In the market for an E90 M3

Great tip, my bro was a painter by trade so I could ask him later... but what would you recommend instead?
    Fuelly

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianZHP View Post
    Great tip, my bro was a painter by trade so I could ask him later... but what would you recommend instead?
    Goo gone is much softer. This has happened to quite a few people over the net, it seems.
    In the market for an E90 M3

Paint overspray can be tough to tackle, especially if allowed to bake on in the sun. I would have probably tried clay bar first, then maybe a good paint cleanser like P21S to remove any remnants.

Goof Off is okay for those pesky warning lable decals like on the visor which Goo Gone can't handle so well.

Might want to check to see if any on-line detailing sites are advertising sales for a good ROB like Porter Cable 7424. Looks like Amazon also has it for about $117.

Damn. Clay and detail spray should have taken care of that!
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Yeah luckily it'll just eat up your wax, MAYBE a little into the clear coat. Did this once myself installing my spoiler onto my 2 week old 135i. It bubbled a bunch but after a little paint correction and such it was barely noticeable.
    Call me Seth
    CURRENT: 2016 Long Beach Blue BMW /// M2
    RETIRED: ‘15 F22 M235i | '08 E90 M3 DCT "GoinHAM3" | '04 E46 M3 6MT "WEGOHAM"
    '04 330i ZHP | '11 E82 135i | '08 E90 328xi | 07 E91 328xi SportWagon

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    If I wore panties, I'd be dropping them right now.

Didn't sound like Dario tried clay bar first unless by "rubbing" he meant with clay bar.

Like Mike & Dane said, Clay bar, Clay bar, Clay bar. Went through this last year with a ton of black rattle can over-spray.

Please visit my build page here, on CarDomain.

When I was working for a contractor a few summers back we were painting a guys metal roof with a spray gun + downwind = overspray all over my car. Hunter green at that lol. I was heartbroken but when I clayed it I was surprised how much the clay was able to pull off. Over time it seems to have removed the rest of it with washes and whatnot.

Your best option would probably be to see if maybe your pops will throw in with you on an orbital in order to get the clear back in good shape. Sucks to hear though I hope you get it figured out.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

'01 330i

Look at the upside, Dario................you are sooooooooooooooo lucky to have a nice, long weekend to give it a full detail and all the attention you likely have been meaning to for a while now.

You're not alone...................I'm in the same boat.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast