Hello all again,

So I did the M56 valve cover swap. Hoping that will solve my CCV issues and VC issues. I’ve replaced the gasket already a while back, but there is standing oil on the cover and it’s dripping onto the headers…could be warped perhaps… got a good head on the new VC so I gave it a shot.

What I wasn’t expecting was the massive vacuum leak. Engine barely runs, and makes an alarming “BANG”, at which point I hurriedly shut it off. I remember this exact thing happening previously when I did the regular CCV replacement 60k miles ago and forgot to connect the oil return line..producing a big vacuum leak. However, the line has been eliminated with the new setup. The oil dipstick is well capped.

Nothing obvious wrong..everything is plugged in, coils packs correct, not getting any codes yet so that’s no help. I worry that something is going to break if I let it run. I’m going to do a smoke test tomorrow.

What I fear is that darn diaphragm is cracked. To those who have done the retrofit—is there some way to “patch” it temporarily if it is the diaphragm?