Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    +1 on Beisan. No need to replace your VANOS unit if the seals/rattle kit will fix it.
    Especially since the two other options are.....

1. Way more expensive to ship to Dr. VANOS and you would be without your car.....for who knows how long....and...
    2. Way, way more expensive to have indy/dealer perform the repairs. I would think it would be close to $1k....
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

I know that there is one part where you *might* have to sand stuff. IS it difficult and required or is that just if your sh*t's completely screwed up?

Quote Originally Posted by Kudos View Post
    I know that there is one part where you *might* have to sand stuff. IS it difficult and required or is that just if your sh*t's completely screwed up?
    This is the first I've heard of this.
    I've done the Beisan repair kit on the S50 once and required no modification to make anything fit. Everything fit together beautifully. I don't see why it would be different for the M54.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

He's talking about the anti-rattle repair kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Kudos View Post
    The sanding pertains to the anti-rattle kit. I haven't read about too many people needing to do it, but it really doesn't seem like that big a deal if you have to.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

What about the rattle kit? I didn't have to do it for the S50... why does it have to be sanded for the M54? What has to get sanded?
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    What about the rattle kit? I didn't have to do it for the S50... why does it have to be sanded for the M54? What has to get sanded?
    The replacement piston bearing that you install to reduce axial play in the piston might be too tight. If it is, you have to sand the bearing down a bit.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Bearing loosening adjustment.
    If splined shaft binds and cannot be rotated then axial fit it too tight and loosening adjustment is needed.
    Disassemble piston bearing per above procedure.
    Place sandpaper (~400 grade) on flat table top. Place bearing center washer on sandpaper.
    Slide washer side to side on sandpaper ~6” back and forth while moderately pressing washer on sandpaper. Perform sanding for 10 seconds.

Rotate washer 90 degrees and repeat sanding process.
    Flip washer to opposite side and repeat above sanding procedure; 10 seconds sanding, rotate 90 degrees, 10 seconds sanding.
    Clean washer (brake cleaner & towels).
    Reassemble piston bearing per above procedure and reassess bearing axial fit.
    Note: Washer is made from hardened steel and does not easily wear. Sanding procedure will remove ~.005mm washer height. Washer might need max .015mm height adjustment.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

It really isn't a big deal to do the sanding (if needed). I do however want to add that I've heard from more than one person that getting the dr.vanos might have been overall worthwhile instead of going to the steps to disassemble the piston etc.

I'm going with Dr. Vanos; see I'm a great listener. The cost is not that much more- and the bearing is already rebuilt to have the "anti-rattle" aspect, which I would do if I got the Beisan. I won't be without my car, they have a core charge. So I will pay $400, install my new vanos, and send them my old one (then they'll refund me $150). I don't see how installing Dr. Vanos would be more expensive either, it is supposed to take less time, no?
    - Derek

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast