Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    My Bridgestones are wearing fast, so I was thinking either the Kumhos or the hankooks. However, you guys are convincing me.

Installed today. I'll check back and report when I get some miles on them.

Jason | 2004 BMW 330i ZHP | 6 Speed Manual | Imola Red | Natural Brown | BBS Style 197s | Awesomeness

Edited my original post with a 2,500 mile update.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

I would think .0005" could be due to how much force you use, and how far the rubber is compressed, with the tread wear tool.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    I would think .0005" could be due to how much force you use, and how far the rubber is compressed, with the tread wear tool.
    Agreed. I tried to be conscious of that. I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure.

Either way, she's going in tomorrow morning for an alignment.

Better safe than ruined tires...
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Damn bro.......if you're worried about .0005 over 2500 miles.....I will not buy the tread wear indicator I was going to buy.

As a matter of fact....I will never look at my tires again.....unless applying tire dressing or cleaning the rims.

30,000/2,500 = 12 > 12 x .0005" = .006" (if wear is linear over 30k miles). Can we feel .006"? IDK.

Good on ya for being proactive though.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

I'm an idiot, DW. I'm thinking it would help if I posted the measurements in the correct units.

The tire gauge is measuring 32nds of an inch. I don't know where the hell I was getting thousandths from. The outer shoulder is at 9/32. The inner shoulder is at 8/32-- meaning that over 2,500 miles I have 1/32 more wear on the inner than the outer.

Assuming if I didn't address that, by 10,000 miles I'm at 6/32 remaining on the outer and 2/32 remaining on the inner.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

OK......so 1/32nd's diff....in 2500 miles.....is 12/32nds....in 30000 miles.....or 3/8th's of an inch difference between tires. Yeah....that would def be appreciable. well done KG.

No idiots here. You knew what you were talking about.....I did not.

As a side note....the stock camber setup on our whips, makes wear more predominant on the inner edge. Are you going to let them punch pins on the FSM's and take all the camber out?

It's going to the stealer. I'm going to explain to them the wear and let them do whatever they need to do. I'll ask about that.

I'm still way behind the curve in my knowledge of suspension mods/adjustments on these things.

Appreciate the info.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying
    That is some significant wear. Hopefully your dealer can accurately diagnose that and get it rectified. More aggressive wear on the interior of the tire is a common symptom of too much negative camber (noticeable on significantly stanced cars), but it's been my understanding (through education from my tire guy, also a bmw lover) that our cars only have "so" much adjustment. Not enough (negative or positive adjustment) to cause that much uneven wear in such a short time. So my next guess is your fronts are "toed out", an alignment will rectify this. (This is with assumption that it's your front tires that are unevenly worn.) During the alignment there are specs they'll use, obviously, but if you have them "toe in" a little, your car will track better (as in going in a straight line) and could compensate for the uneven wear over time.

Camber, Toe and even Caster are scarey confusing words to me. This this tutorial helped me understand a lot, here.

Please visit my build page here, on CarDomain.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast