Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by zj96sc View Post
    Are you on the original fuel filter?
    As far as I know, yes.

gr330zhp - Last I looked the oil was very minimal and had not gotten into any of the spark plug wells, yet. When I change the plugs, before I clean that up, I'll get a picture. It's almost definitely coming from the center valve cover bolt, closest to the front. At least, that's how it looks. There was such a small amount it could not have gone into a spark plug well as of the last time I looked.

I'll get the picture, clean it up, change the plugs, then let everyone know how it drives after that and if the oil comes back. It'll probably be a week or so of driving before I can get back in there to check on the oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Hochspannung View Post
    you technically shouldn't need to use it, the plugs are only supposed to be torqued to 18 lb/tq
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    IIRC they have changed spec to 22 now, but no comment on anti-seize
    long story short- one shouldn't be tightening them to need anti-seize. i've never used any on any of my cars.

Quote Originally Posted by RVAzhp View Post
    long story short- one shouldn't be tightening them to need anti-seize. i've never used any on any of my cars.
    Had little to do with tightening torque.

Has much more to do with heating/cooling cycles and the interaction of the metals.

I don't think anyone is saying you need anti-seize. Just saying that it makes removal easier and reduces risk.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Quote Originally Posted by kayger12 View Post
    Had little to do with tightening torque.

Has much more to do with heating/cooling cycles and the interaction of the metals.

I don't think anyone is saying you need anti-seize. Just saying that it makes removal easier and reduces risk.

Exactly....
    BAV Stage 1 - BlueBus - UltraGauge - V1 - Orion V4's - ARC-8's - Brembo 996
    TTFS Engine/SMG Tune/CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri
    VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - OE CSL Trunk - BWS 500S 9k/11k

Weather permitting, I'll get this done tomorrow. I just have one more question about plugs before I do - even though these are pre-gapped, should they be checked before installation? And if so, how are these checked? I've never had a spark plug with 4 prongs and my traditional teaching of how to gap a spark plug doesn't seem to fit how these plugs look. Is there a special tool for these type of plugs? Thanks for all the input everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Tampa330i View Post
    Weather permitting, I'll get this done tomorrow. I just have one more question about plugs before I do - even though these are pre-gapped, should they be checked before installation? And if so, how are these checked? I've never had a spark plug with 4 prongs and my traditional teaching of how to gap a spark plug doesn't seem to fit how these plugs look. Is there a special tool for these type of plugs? Thanks for all the input everyone!
    No need to gap those. They're good to go.

-Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Quote Originally Posted by Tampa330i View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kayger12 View Post
    No need to gap those. They're good to go.
    +1 About all you can do is eyeball them to make sure none of the prongs look like they might have gotten bent somehow.

As far as anti-sieze I debated it but since my old ones came out fine and the NGK's said right on the box that none was needed I went without. Mine had about 75,000 on them and as far as I know they were the originals.

Awesome, thanks! I just finished changing them out, along with the rubber washer for one of the valve cover bolts. I got some before pics of the leakage area, but I don't think it matters, I'm sure the vcg needs replacing anyway. I took out all the coils and lined them up, not good, oil on all of them but the one I just replaced - all across a line that seems to line right up with the gasket. Got a pic of that as well. The old spark plugs are all factory for sure, they're absolutely nasty looking. One thing I am concerned about... the torque wrench I have has such a large scale on it, I can't accurately measure the 18-20something ftlbs needed, 20 ftlbs is the lowest measure and it goes up to 140. I tightened them down maybe 1/4 turn past hand tight, but I don't have any other way to measure it currently. I think I know the answer, but should I open it back up and get it checked to make sure they're not too loose or tight? Am I going to blow up if I drive it and those numbers are slightly off? When I pulled the old plugs, they took A LOT of force at first, but I imagine they should not be tightened to that point, as they were also quite filthy and caked with god knows what. All of them had a little squeak on the way out. I'm going to take a short drive and see if there's any noticeable difference.

Leak from valve cover bolt:

Coils with oil around centers (except the new one, 4th from bottom):

First valve cover bolt & washer removed:

Nasty old plugs:

Close-up of nasty old plugs:

Autozone.com
    I would've done all 15 grommets, but you can pick them all up if you're doing a VCG soon.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123