Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Red Loctite?

Quote Originally Posted by nike001 View Post
    The stud threads into the head, and then the bolt tightens onto that, and if I copied the right specs.. the torque is 10 Nm (7 Ft-lb), so not much.

I have JB weld, think that would work?
    7ft lb is not much at all for such a large nut. Or is that the torque for the stud into the head - that would make more sense and there would be another torque spec for the nut on the stud.

A tap can be used to clean out corroded or damaged threads but when you say the hole is stripped leads me to believe the threads are gone and the stud spins in the hole when you try and tighten the nut? If that's the case a tap isn't going to help at all.

Nothing wrong with trying a tap first but most of the taps you'll find at a hardware store are tapered taps. They taper to a point so they are much easier to get in straight when tapping by hand. Studs go into blind threaded holes - blind meaning they aren't open on the backside. Now picture your common tapered tap going down into the hole, when the tip of it hits the bottom it will only have completely threaded about 2/3 of the hole. What you would need is called a blind or bottoming tap, they do not taper at the tip so they will cut threads all the way to the bottom of the hole. The drawback is that without the tapered start they are very difficult to get started straight by hand. The best approach is to use a tapered tap first and then blind tap to finish off the bottom of the hole.

Drilling the hole out and tapping it for a larger stud is an extremely risky option. Studs only come in so many sizes and the next size larger won't just be a tiny bit larger, and the larger hole means thinner wall thickness for the hole. Going back to the different taps; a tapered tap is pretty easy on the material as it takes a good 10 turns to completely cut a thread, but a blind tap cuts the entire thread in 1/2 turn which puts a lot of force on the material and if the wall is too thin it will break out the side. One common way to minimize the risk is by switching from SAE to Metric or vice-versa >> 1/2" = 12.7mm so going from a 1/2" stud to a 14mm stud would only be 1.3mm larger. 12mm stud to 1/2" stud only .7mm larger.

This is also why they make threaded inserts. A threaded insert is just a coil of steel that goes into a threaded hole and then a bolt/stud can be threaded into the inside of that. The difference between the new hole and the old hole is very little, only the thickness of the coil itself. They come in a set with a drill bit that will drill out the stripped hole, a special tap to tap the hole, and an insertion tool used the install the coil. There's a picture and general description on wikipedia here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threaded_insert

William.
    2006 CiC 6MT
    ZHP, Cold Weather, Xenon
    Sapphire Black / Black Leather / Black Cube

nike001 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by wsmeyer View Post
    7ft lb is not much at all for such a large nut. Or is that the torque for the stud into the head - that would make more sense and there would be another torque spec for the nut on the stud.
    I'm not sure that there is a spec listed for that on Beisans DIY. The top & left most stud is the one I'm having problems with:

The VANOS unit then goes over that and looks like this:

Then the nut that (i think) has the tq value of 7ft/lb goes over that and holds the unit on.

Just chase the threads. Double nut it. Apply loctite. Set it... Then reassemble with the 7ft-lbs on the nut. Done.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

I was just looking at realOEM - and it seems like there's a dowel that goes in that hole before the stud... This thing: 11121726242

Is that threaded? Looks sorta like it in the picture. Maybe he just has to replace that and it'll catch?

nike001 Guest
    I got one of those when I ordered my first replacement stud and didn't put it in. I thought it could be a factor in this thing as well..but it doesn't really make sense to me on how this could fix it.

I'll look around my house and see if I can find it if I haven't already thrown it out.

Well I think we should just take her apart and try to see what's going on.
    Last edited by terraphantm; 05-06-2012 at 11:20 AM.

nike001 Guest
    Yeah probably for the better.

I'll probably make it a DIY day and also change out some fluids like transmission and diff

Yeah probably for the better.

I'll probably make it a DIY day and also change out some fluids like transmission and diff
    Might as well remove your CDV at the same time (if you haven't already). And maybe bleed your brakes and clutch (I need to do mine)

nike001 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
    Might as well remove your CDV at the same time (if you haven't already). And maybe bleed your brakes and clutch (I need to do mine)
    My CDV has been deleted for a few months.. and all that has been bled

I'm assuming you'll be brining your car over, as well as geoff and his car.. we can make it a DIY day for everyone!

My yellow oil light came on just as I got home a bit ago.. so I'd like to get this done asap (maybe this week?) and then an oil change (i'm trying to not add any more oil as I want to send some out to Blackstone for an oil analysis)

My CDV has been deleted for a few months.. and all that has been bled

I'm assuming you'll be brining your car over, as well as geoff and his car.. we can make it a DIY day for everyone!

My yellow oil light came on just as I got home a bit ago.. so I'd like to get this done asap (maybe this week?) and then an oil change (i'm trying to not add any more oil as I want to send some out to Blackstone for an oil analysis)
    Well I'm home until the end of this month, so whenever you've got time we can get to work

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast