Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Also the under carriage spray is a danger to electronics and air intake. If we're asking a "pro" I wanted to include this stuff too.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    Also known as touchless car washes.
    I hear bad things about the chemicals used though, something about it being damaging to paint over time...
    Not necessarily AZ, car wash chemicals are not typically bad for paint. As they are made for cars. If anything car wash companies buy concentrate soap/wax drums and water it down to get more out of it. (I only speak on this because I used to know someone who worked at a typical car wash spot yrs ago)

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    Washburn,
    Are you telling me they won't even allow something like Optimum No Rinse at your complex? How retarded is that? Are they afraid of their pavement getting a few drops of water on it?
    From my understanding, the reason they might not allow a DIY car wash spot in a complex is because you're officially your not supposed to have any water run off into the storm drain. At least in Cali your not supposed to have any water run off AT ALL! Its just that the city isn't going to hound every house hold. We've had the city come by the shop and inspect our facility making sure we have no water run off into the storm drain.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnmadd View Post
    I don’t think the chemicals are any worse than normal auto store products, but the high pressure spray on the black trim is not good for sure. I also think the high force drying blowers may be bad for a car, I took my e30 through one to get the salt off and it sounded like my roof was collapsing or a tornado was moving over my car, that might weaken the integrity of the paint.
    Might sound bad...but it isn't so bad for paint. Clear coat for cars is PRETTTTYYYYY STONG and holds up well. Esp OEM BMW stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnmadd View Post
    Also the under carriage spray is a danger to electronics and air intake. If we're asking a "pro" I wanted to include this stuff too.
    Almost everything is well protected underneath the car. I couldn't imagine the undercarriage being any less protected. Imagine what would happen to our cars in any big rain storm? My car would have been EFFED during our huge cali storm a few weeks ago.

Dave, thanks for chiming in. I always figured that the stuff they used would strip the wax, which made me think it was pretty harsh.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus-SanDiego View Post
    Dave, thanks for chiming in. I always figured that the stuff they used would strip the wax, which made me think it was pretty harsh.
    Thanks Marcus.

Thanks Dave. Dave, can you elaborate on high pressure jet water and what it might do to Wax? Sealant? Clearcoat?

Additionally...brushwashes? What do you think of those. Just want your opinion to kinda wrap things up here. I think they are bad. Hell...If I can put a swirl mark in my car with a MF towel.....then those brushes can't be good.

Thanks again.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus-SanDiego View Post
    I wasn't necessarily referring to wax/sealants. I was mainly talking about the integrity of just the clear coat.
    Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Thanks Marcus.

Thanks Dave. Dave, can you elaborate on high pressure jet water and what it might do to Wax? Sealant? Clearcoat?

Additionally...brushwashes? What do you think of those. Just want your opinion to kinda wrap things up here. I think they are bad. Hell...If I can put a swirl mark in my car with a MF towel.....then those brushes can't be good.

Thanks again.
    Dane, high pressure water is not too bad for wax/sealant and its definitely not bad for the clear coat. If high pressure water is left in the same position for a long period of time then possibly it can cause the wax/sealant to be stripped but shouldn't damage the clear coat. If anything, you'd want high pressure water to quickly and efficiently remove dirt/dust before any brush/microfiber cloth/etc. touches the car.

Car wash brushes are a different story, those can cause minor scratches in the clear coat and will more than likely strip wax/sealant. I say this because of the potential watered down soap that is possibly used in car washes. You're looking for excessive bubbles in your soap. Bubbles is what lifts the dirt from the car to safely wash down. Actually, wax/sealants are just a thin layer that sit over the clear coat to give it that shine and basically hide any minor swirl marks or light scratches that are in the clear coat.

anything in excess is bad. the fact is if you have a DD that is getting hammered with salt and pickle juice and what not, just spraying it down will do little if nothing at all. you need to adjetate the dirt to remove it, not just move it. like Dave said, bubbles and what not. these will also act like a lubricant allowing a more aggresive mit/brush/giant flappy car wash thingy to move the dirt without too much damage. any time you rub anyhting on paint it is causing fine scratches. that why quick wax and such make the car look sooo much better. fills them all in, but it leaves no protection. these car washes are a nescessary evil in this weather. every spring i will clay/buff/polish my car anyway, so these little scratches will be handled. the wheels are anothe story. those drag along type are not awesome for your wheels. i run crap winters so i dont care. my 19's will never see one of these car washes. unless you pay to have it hand washed and dried, which can get very $$, you have to get this shit off somehow. i go to a very popular one locally which i know gets serviced regularly. it does a great job! also, they dry the car and those giant blowers cause no harm, they are great cause they help get rid of a lot of water that may otherwise freeze in these temps and cause issue. this is common using those stalls and not drying the car. if you can, run it through then take it home and chamois it dry(will not apply to those without a garage cause spray wax will get slushy on a cold car). do your jambs and then give her a quick spray wax. this will get you through til the nice weather and hand washing days. i go every two weeks or so. in total maybe 6 times a season and my cars are fine. however, they are white. black and dark cars will most certainly be affected the most. it will just be more work to get back in shape in spring. anytime you use a soap to wash the car you are breaking down the wax. i dont waste money on really expensive waxes. they last just as long as the less $$ stuff at the rate i wash my car. decent wax applied more often is just as good as expensive wax that you try to make last all summer. that aint gonna happen! it never looks as good as the day you do it. so long story short, i wouldnt sweat it. use a popular one that gets used a lot, as they change their rags/brushes and chemicals more often. dont do it too often, but as needed. get it detailed in the springtime and pretend winter was never here and never coming back. this advice applies only if you use your car as a DD in a winter climate and not a fancy showcar. if you live in San Diego, get your ass out to the curb and wash your car and stay far away from automatic car washes!!

ps: Just to add some legitimacy to my post, I professionaly detailed cars for 12 yrs. when i had access to the shops, i NEVER even thought of using auto washes. being removed from this for about 2 years and not having the access i used to, ive had to suck it up and learn to live with it. just felt i neede to say that!
    Cheers!
    Last edited by bimmer848; 02-04-2011 at 10:19 AM.

06 e90 325i
    02 e53 X5

Thanks to all for their very valuable input.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Thanks for chiming in everyone, I am late in getting the car washed AND oil (8k on oil now) changed...work work work damn work!
    2005 AW ZHP Coupe. CW, Alcantara, Leather st. wheel, HK, Xenons, Step, Dinan chip & air box, USASpec, Sprint Booster

I take my car through Ernies car wash. once i get to get my car washed one guy yells the level of wash then he says, "no brush".

if the car doesn't come out clean you go again free. I go through the car wash...

I am a car enthusiast, not a car collector.. :-)

2005 BMW 330i ZHP
    2004 BMW 330Ci ZHP A DIY Turbocharger Project!

My site: www.E46Turbo330Ci.com
    http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=545&dateline=1337626488

Quote Originally Posted by Nivo View Post
    I take my car through Ernies car wash. once i get to get my car washed one guy yells the level of wash then he says, "no brush".

if the car doesn't come out clean you go again free. I go through the car wash...

I am a car enthusiast, not a car collector.. :-)
    I like this comment.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast