Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Mothers Headlight Restoration Kit doityourself

[As promised, here's a repost of a DIY I did for BCBimmers.]

My recently acquired 330i had headlight lenses that were in pretty bad shape. Cdn Tire had the Mothers headlight restoration kit (http://www.mothers.com/02_products/07250.html) on sale for about 20 bucks, so I decided to give it a try. The kit comes with the Powerball buffer, which you use with your drill, some polish that you apply to the Powerball, and some sanding pads for severely damaged headlights.

Before you start, tape off the area around your lens with painter's tape to protect it from the spinning Powerball. I also found that as the polish spread from the centre of the Powerball to the edges, the spin of the drill can fling it quite far. Since the polish is mildly abrasive, you'll want cover your fender, bumper and engine area to catch anything that might fly off of the spinning Powerball.

The instructions say to use the Powerball first. I tried it and it did nothing, so I had to move on to the severe damage procedures. This involves using the 4 sanding pads, starting with the 800 grit and moving progressively up to the 2000 grit. Once you're finished with the sanding, you use the Powerball again.

The sanding disks are 2 sided with a foam sponge in the middle. You soak them in water before using them. I also had a spray bottle of water handy and frequently wet the lens with it.

The video on Mothers site says to use light pressure, however I had to use a far bit of pressure and spend a lot of time with the 800 grit to strip off the damaged outer layer of the lens. The water on the lens would turn cloudy from the microscopic bits of plastic that I was sanding off. If I sprayed the lens with the spray bottle after sanding a section for a bit, I could see a line that delineated the old damaged portion of the lens from the refinished portion (still on the 800 grit at this point). This is how I could tell that I was actually accomplishing something.

Once I was satisfied that the entire lens surface had been refinished with the 800 grit, I then moved onto the 1200, 1500 and 2000 grit in order. Note the you are to change sanding direction every time you change grit (i.e. horizontal sanding first, then vertical, then horizontal, and finally vertical).

The instructions say to spend progressively more sanding time every time you change grit. I spent a lot of time with the 800 grit, so it didn't make sense to me to spend the same time again plus something extra for the 1200 grit. However after using the 1200, I did spend progressively more time with the 1500 and the 2000.

With sanding finished, I then used the Powerball and the polish.

I was very pleased with the results. However it did take a lot of time, so I've only refinished one lens so far. Here are some comparisons of the two lenses:

Driver's right:

Driver's left:

Driver's right:

Driver's left:

Driver's right:

Driver's left:

So, the bottom line is that the kit works very well, but it can require a significant time investment. Compared to the cost of replacing the lens, I'd say it was worth it.

[I subsequently discovered that lenses aren't as ridiculously expensive as I thought they were, but it still works out to $20 for the kit plus my time, versus $140 for new lenses.]

Am I not seeing an "after" on "drivers right"?

EDIT: Read your entire post. My bust.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Very nice. Thanks for the DIY. Wax on, wax off.
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

This is on my list. My lenses need some Mother lovin'.

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Am I not seeing an "after" on "drivers right"?

EDIT: Read your entire post. My bust.
    I think he's getting at the fact that the drivers right (passenger as I've known it!) is the before, and the drivers left is the after...

Looks great though... I've done multiple lights for family/friends too. Its a very common problem down here in Florida... The key though is to clear coat the lights afterward, or this will just happen again...
    2011 E90 Lemans Blue/Bamboo Beige M3- Harrop Supercharged IG: lmb_zcp
    2013 F25 Alpine White/Chestnut X3 35i- Family Hauler
    2006 R53 British Racing Green/Panther Black Mini Cooper S FOR SALE! DM for details!
    Past: 2010 X5M, 2014 328d, 2003 330i ZHP, 2004 330i ZHP, 2012 X3 35i
    WTB!! 2009-2012 E91 328i Touring Contact me with info!

Quote Originally Posted by JupiterBMW View Post
    I think he's getting at the fact that the drivers right (passenger as I've known it!) is the before, and the drivers left is the after...

Looks great though... I've done multiple lights for family/friends too. Its a very common problem down here in Florida... The key though is to clear coat the lights afterward, or this will just happen again...
    No. He only refinished one lense. Last paragraph of initial post. You can't read either apparently.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Yes, I've only done the one lens on driver's right / passenger side. My car lived in California from 2007 to 2010. Apparently the heat does a number on the plastic. That's not going to be a problem here in rainy Vancouver. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    No. He only refinished one lense. Last paragraph of initial post. You can't read either apparently.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA
    No no, I got that... I was just trying to say that he was showing before the work and after showing the two lights, the one that had been done and one that hadn't...

Dammit Dane, we're all getting old me thinks!
    2011 E90 Lemans Blue/Bamboo Beige M3- Harrop Supercharged IG: lmb_zcp
    2013 F25 Alpine White/Chestnut X3 35i- Family Hauler
    2006 R53 British Racing Green/Panther Black Mini Cooper S FOR SALE! DM for details!
    Past: 2010 X5M, 2014 328d, 2003 330i ZHP, 2004 330i ZHP, 2012 X3 35i
    WTB!! 2009-2012 E91 328i Touring Contact me with info!

Is there pitting on the lens or is it just foggy?
    "Cam"

2009 Ultrasonic Blue Mica/Alpine White ISF
    1998 Nassau Blue/Grey C5 Corvette 6spd Sold
    2003 Imola Red/Alcantara 330i ZHP 6spd Sold
    2002 TiAg/Black M3 6spd Sold

Quote Originally Posted by Torxuvin View Post
    Is there pitting on the lens or is it just foggy?
    Pitting on the lens. It's bumpy if you run your fingernail over it.

2008 128i ZSP Sedonarot

---

2004 330i ZHP Imolarot
    Conforti Shark Injector - Installation Pending!
    AFE Magnum FORCE Stage 1 PRO 5R Intake
    ECS Tuning Strut Bar
    ECS Tuning Magnetic Drain Plug
    German Auto Solutions DISA Gold Valve
    CDV Delete
    BSW and Polk Drivers
    Ziza LED Interior Kit
    Khoalty CREE LED Reverse Lights
    BMW strut tower reinforcement plates