Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    And so it begins...

Parts will be here Thursday. This is just prep and time savings.

How do you guys NOT get showered with coolant when draining the block?

I thought, I'll be creative and use my tubing from my wet vac. No brainer, right?

WRONG.

Parts should be here tomorrow. Def have the 2 idler/tensioner near alternator are def. bad with bearing noise that I had been hearing at start up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_B View Post
    How do you guys NOT get showered with coolant when draining the block?

I thought, I'll be creative and use my tubing from my wet vac. No brainer, right?

WRONG.

Parts should be here tomorrow. Def have the 2 idler/tensioner near alternator are def. bad with bearing noise that I had been hearing at start up.

Awesome! Cannot wait until you get it all caught up on maintenance! Then you can start modifying!

Cooling system refresh now completed.

WOW, what a chore! Much worse than working on Honda's that I'm used to, but a great learning experience.

Lessons learned, that #%)(&#%&#$ heater hose at the back of the head near the firewall can suck it. (1.5 hours spent on this ALONE!!!!)

Having good variety of tools certainly helps

All in all, I'm happy. No leaks and bled the system a few times to get the air out and the heat works just fine.

Next up, oil leaks/seals/gaskets, Vanos rebuild of seals and Anti-rattle kit, trans fluid refill, diff refill.

And the wife gave me an early Valentines present... Aux port cable. :P

Also, my car ALWAYS beeps with the drivers door open when the key is out of it. No clue why. Key? Yep, it's shot. I'm going to be ordering a new one, then cutting this one open and replacing the VL-2020 battery and hoping for the best. Worst case it's a good manual second key for the wife.
    Any thoughts on those gents?
    With any suspected key issues, it's worth having a look around this guy's site, especially the "wall of shame." http://www.bmwgm5.com/

Optional:
    Trans thermostat (17111437362)
    Looks like you figured this out but the part noted above is only for models with automatic transmission.

On the topic of cooling systems, another (kinda pricey but nice) part I added to my own list is the new aluminum 1.2 bar ET cap from German Auto Solutions. As noted elsewhere, those guys also have a CCV solution in the works, therefore you may want to hold off on that until they start selling whatever it is they're working on. Their DISA repair kit is also excellent and worth doing. At your mileage and if the DISA appears to be original, consider their "Gold" version.

Thanks for the info Aurelius. I'll definitely look into those.

I too think the constant beeping is key related especially since my key is dead.

What is a 1.2 bar ET cap? Sounds boost related LOL since it says bar. I'm assuming it's not and more related to the CCV?

WOW, what a chore! Much worse than working on Honda's that I'm used to, but a great learning experience.

Lessons learned, that #%)(&#%&#$ heater hose at the back of the head near the firewall can suck it. (1.5 hours spent on this ALONE!!!!)

Having good variety of tools certainly helps

All in all, I'm happy. No leaks and bled the system a few times to get the air out and the heat works just fine.

Next up, oil leaks/seals/gaskets, Vanos rebuild of seals and Anti-rattle kit, trans fluid refill, diff refill.

And the wife gave me an early Valentines present... Aux port cable. :P
    Well done.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

What is a 1.2 bar ET cap? Sounds boost related LOL since it says bar. I'm assuming it's not and more related to the CCV?
    http://germanautosolutions.com/bmw_s...12_bar_cap.php
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360596041.144977.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  33.4 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360596058.781246.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  32.7 KB
    BAV Stage 1 - BlueBus - UltraGauge - V1 - Orion V4's - ARC-8's - Brembo 996
    TTFS Engine/SMG Tune/CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri
    VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - OE CSL Trunk - BWS 500S 9k/11k

How was the condition of that particular hose upon removal? Was it the source of your leak? Asking because I've never heard of replacing that hose in the E46 on a preventive basis. Being rubber and getting old, of course it wouldn't hurt (the car) to do so although it seems the personal pain threshold was well exceeded.

I bought that hose when I did my overhaul... It didn't get replaced...

- 2021 Tesla Model Y LR-AWD '21-
    - 2014 CPO i01 BEV Capparis White Tera World, '17-'20
    - 2015 CPO i01 BEV Laurel Grey Tera World, '17-'18 R.I.P
    - 2015 i01 REx Laurel Grey Tera World, '15-'17
    - 2003 CPO 330i ZHP Imola Red Build 03/03/03, '06-'15

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast