Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike V View Post
    The interior sure does look nicer in the ZHP and better materials are used but I like the seats in the E36 much more. I have a 98 sedan, so it has the sport seats, which I actually prefer over the Vaders that were in the 95. Is the safety difference significant? I suppose I haven't paid attention to that haha. The E36 and E46 underpinnings aren't much different. I'll agree with you on the looks though. I miss the Imola Red.
    Yeah- the safety is not even close. The E36 barely passed the tests before it went out of production. Safety is actually the reason there was no adjustable steering wheel in the E36 after 1995. The E46 added DSC, side curtain airbags, and a much better designed chassis and is one of the safest cars of its time.
    - Derek

All good points, thanks for all the contributions to this thread so far. Keep them coming!

Interchangability and availability ranks top 3 of my favorite things about these cars! Very easy to find virtually any part you need. And there is demand for any part you desire to sell.

I preventatively replaced my DISA valve with a new OEM unit for $240. Sold my perfectly functioning, but aging 60k mile DISA valve for $120 on e46f to someone who needed it but didn't want to buy new. He was happy, I was happy. I'm not aware of other cars with this type of market for parts!
    On the hunt for the cleanest lowest mileage ZHP sedan!

Quote Originally Posted by illirep View Post
    All good points, thanks for all the contributions to this thread so far. Keep them coming!

Interchangability and availability ranks top 3 of my favorite things about these cars! Very easy to find virtually any part you need. And there is demand for any part you desire to sell.

I preventatively replaced my DISA valve with a new OEM unit for $240. Sold my perfectly functioning, but aging 60k mile DISA valve for $120 on e46f to someone who needed it but didn't want to buy new. He was happy, I was happy. I'm not aware of other cars with this type of market for parts!
    Yup, this is definitely one of the great points.. I was really happy to discover this a few months after I bought my car. Makes it easier to justify preventative maintenance on major parts!

My points:
    - timeless design - it looks like a recent car even after 10 years
    - extremely fun to drive yet is comfortable when you want it to and won't drain your wallet for gas
    - won't leave you stranded as long as you keep up with basic maintenance
    - insurance is half that of a civic of the same year (where I live at least)
    - relatively cheap to own, if you spread out the maintenance costs over a few years (I'm thinking of the 125k milestone where you have to replace a lot of stuff here)

Everything is relative of course, but in almost a year of ownership I haven't had any bad surprises, even if my ZHP had 206,000 miles on the clock when I signed the check. I drove it through the winter without a single issue (well I had air in my cooling system and it cut my heater in January, but I was good to go after a 10-minute bleed).
    Alex'16 Melbourne Red 328d Touring
    M Sport + M Performance Package

Gone, but not forgotten: '03 Imola Red 330i ZHP - 6MT

Much like cakM3, I really had no idea what my car was when I bought it. The gentleman I purchased it from explained some of the differences between my car and a regular 330CI, but honestly I thought he was just blowing smoke up my @$$, and playing the part of a saleman. And to tell you the truth, even if I hadn't stumbled upon this site, and found all the answers about these cars, I would have loved this car just as much anyway. Especially after driving it for a couple weeks. The initial test drive really, really blew me away. It was my first experience with a BMW, and I was shocked that I was so impressed with a car that was made 10+ years ago. I also own a 2012 Mustang GT with the Coyote 5.0, and although I love driving it, I can honestly say that I get just as much enjoyment from driving my BMW, if not more! I think that says a lot about the quality of these cars.

Quote Originally Posted by DublDee View Post
    Much like cakM3, I really had no idea what my car was when I bought it.
    Same here man, I traded in my E36 M3 for something newer .. I know I wanted to stick with BMW. Proven a true driver's machine to me. I was offered to come look at a 330Ci in the showroom at the dealer I went to. All he said was it had the "M sports package." I was sold. It looked dead on for what I wanted. I didn't even know what it was, but I wanted something newer, reliable, clean, and non-molested, and 6 spd of course. I actually found this forum after posting on BFc & E46f telling me it was some special 330 with goodies and referred me over here. Couldn't be happier, honestly. I was a valet/recon for a few years, driven many many cars, Porsche, merc, newer/older bmws, jag, infiniti, you name it. I still fall in love all over again after getting out of someone else's car and back into mine. Hard to describe. My brother has a 350Z and we traded for a weekend for the hell of it, and it just didn't feel right, same with my buddies STi, EVO, S60R, Boss 302, Camaros.. Maybe it's just me, well obviously not, but there's something special about the 3 series bmw that gives you the "right at home" feeling.

Great thread and comments. It’s clear we love our ZHPs and know they are special. After years of lusting them (while driving a ‘99 323i) and seriously searching for one for 7-8 months, I went into my purchase knowing what I was getting into. I know it’s one of those decisions I won’t regret. I concur with many of your comments: I love seeing it in my garage; I love strapping it to my back; and I love driving it. As with some of you, when I purchased my M Roadster, I did not really know what I was getting into. Back then I was looking for a 3.0 Z3. Although the Roadster’s asking price was more than what I had planned, I went to test drive it just for kicks…and that was all she wrote. Both were used cars when I purchased them, but I feel good knowing I have great cars that I love without having paid for a new car; cars I never plan to part with. I plan to again buy a used BMW again. I am trying to make up for all those years I could not afford one, had to put family first, or was overseas without the need for a car. I hope to one day own an E30 and my first love, a ‘74 2002tii.

Quote Originally Posted by AdolfoAquino View Post
    I hope to one day own an E30 and my first love, a ‘74 2002tii.
    when you're ready I'll find you a 73, roundie FTW!

Great! I first saw a 1974 tii, so that has always been on my mind, but lately have been open to the idea of a roundie.

Interesting post...

However, I'm not sure where you can find a new 3er m-sport (unless its a completely stripped 328i) for $550/month, is this a lease? Comparing lease and purchase is kind of odd...

I purchased my car CPO'd 38 months used with 32,500 miles (nearly 7 years ago) and although the final price with tax is foggy, I do remember that my payment was higher than the mortgage on my brand new 1600 sq ft house ($650 vs $633) and that was a special from BMWFS at 2.99% interest for 60 months.

Sure, prices are completely different now, as are interest rates, but I think it would be difficult to even find a 3 year used 335i m-sport loaded (and CPO'd) for a comparable price (with tax, kinda high in TN)...

I, too, owned many Japanese built cars (GS-R, RSX-S, etc), great cars. The BMW just seems to have a "soul," I can't describe it, Japanese built cars just seem so clinical, almost like an appliance. Perhaps thats why I never named any of my Japanese cars, yet my BMW got named less than an hour after purchase...

Perhaps it was a "perfect" storm with my ZHP, sure, I did contemplate trading her in a few times (or selling outright) in the 3rd and 4th years of ownership, but as I've aged and matured myself, I realize what a complete WASTE of money trading cars is. If you have it, good for you, but I work VERY hard for my money, and although maintenance (and mods) have not been cheap, I'm sure I have saved money by keeping the same car for nearly 7 years, I paid her off in the 4th year, so I haven't had a car payment for over two years...

The ZHP is a perfect balance of performance, handling, looks, reliability and ability to maintain yourself; or it is for me at least. A good friend of mine has a 335i and it just seems so much larger than my e46. Sure the extra power is nice (I've refrained from driving it, in part because it is an automatic), but his car (hopefully just his) has been very problematic. Even at that, he still loves it, but plans to upgrade to an M3 in the next few years...

I have been giving the same advice above to many of my friends over the past few years. All cars are depreciating assets, and the more you change, the more you money you loose. So keep what you have for absolutely as long as you can and if maintained properly any modern car should last much longer than you can stand to drive it. Sure, new cars are nicer, sometimes get better fuel economy, and have a lot of extra techno gadgets. Is it worth it? I live 5 minutes from home, 20 minutes from school. I spend an hour (at most) in my car every day, I can go an hour a day without bluetooth streaming Pandora radio and without being able to tweet or Facebook (don't get me started on these new "features" what a complete waste!)...

I'm finishing my 4th overnight shift, so hopefully this doesn't come off too ranty and hopefully it makes sense...

- 2021 Tesla Model Y LR-AWD '21-
    - 2014 CPO i01 BEV Capparis White Tera World, '17-'20
    - 2015 CPO i01 BEV Laurel Grey Tera World, '17-'18 R.I.P
    - 2015 i01 REx Laurel Grey Tera World, '15-'17
    - 2003 CPO 330i ZHP Imola Red Build 03/03/03, '06-'15

Marcus - thanks for the input. I was referring to leasing a new 335i Msport. I was making the case that if one was finanancing their zhp, in addition to maintenance and repair costs, should they consider leasing a new one for a few extra bucks per month and have no repair / maintenance costs. I know leasing vs. buying vs. owning outright is apples to oranges to bananas, but was just demonstrating the thought process I go through after seeing the tempting BMW ads on TV - especially the new one with M-Sport Estorial Blue 3 series!

I think by and large, owning (financing or paying cash) is always more prudent than leasing. But one can fantasize when every trip to the dealer results in a $500 plus repair or maintenance item needed!
    On the hunt for the cleanest lowest mileage ZHP sedan!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast