Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Glad to see you're making progress...

One other bit of information from my retrofit experience - my local shop mentioned that much of the wiring that came with the retrofit kit wasn't actually needed once they opened up my dash panels.

Not sure exactly what this meant, but I'm guessing that the retrofit kit comes with all wiring to address the worst possible case where a car comes with zero options? Since our cars already have several options standard, the wires aren't necessary? Or as the retrofit kit includes buttons for all slots in the panel, many of the wires for these functions were necessary to install (i.e. tire pressure monitor, rear window shade, etc).

Bottom line was that my shop found that the labor was less than they expected from the instructions, so I'm guessing that you'll find this to be the case, too.

Good luck!

P.S. - I'm still hoping to get some feedback on adjusting the temperature settings for each stage of heating, but I'm not having luck hearing back from the guy on E46fanatics. It appears to just be a programming option, but I want to be able to steer my shop in the right direction through the car's menu system.

Quote Originally Posted by CkDedmon View Post
    Glad to see you're making progress...

One other bit of information from my retrofit experience - my local shop mentioned that much of the wiring that came with the retrofit kit wasn't actually needed once they opened up my dash panels.

Not sure exactly what this meant, but I'm guessing that the retrofit kit comes with all wiring to address the worst possible case where a car comes with zero options? Since our cars already have several options standard, the wires aren't necessary? Or as the retrofit kit includes buttons for all slots in the panel, many of the wires for these functions were necessary to install (i.e. tire pressure monitor, rear window shade, etc).

Bottom line was that my shop found that the labor was less than they expected from the instructions, so I'm guessing that you'll find this to be the case, too.

Good luck!

P.S. - I'm still hoping to get some feedback on adjusting the temperature settings for each stage of heating, but I'm not having luck hearing back from the guy on E46fanatics. It appears to just be a programming option, but I want to be able to steer my shop in the right direction through the car's menu system.
    Thanks! I think your shop is talking about the wiring from the button panel to the fuse box. I have read in a few DIY threads that the later E46s had that wiring already in it. I told both shops that.

Can you ask your shop how they secured the heating elements into the seat? Bonding, clips, noting, etc? I am curious to hear the method. The first shop didnt specify and the second shop said they would bond the elements to the leather. I am thinking of calling the first shop again to ask.

Please report back what you find out about the programming. I know we discussed it awhile ago but I may have to go that route too. I have PA Soft but I am not sure if that will work. Need to look it up again.
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT. Built 11-19-04. Bought 4-2012.
    Stock: Nav, leather, PDC, Xenon
    Added by me: OEM Alarm, OEM heated seats, OEM aux kit, OEM Bluetooth, intravee, M3 strut brace, BMW Performance Intake, Nappa leather arm rest, updated LCM (triple blink, euro hazards, trifecta lighting, 3 stage brakes), temp gauge

My shop had their upholstery guy add a few stitches to secure the heating element to the underside of the seat cover. I don't think it's going to move around any once the cover is back on, but you at least want some attachment when you are refitting the cover to the seat with the clips.

Finally have time to take the car into the shop. I will have it done by the end of the week. Just in time for summer! Lol
    Added by me: OEM Alarm, OEM heated seats, OEM aux kit, OEM Bluetooth, intravee, M3 strut brace, BMW Performance Intake, Nappa leather arm rest, updated LCM (triple blink, euro hazards, trifecta lighting, 3 stage brakes), temp gauge

At least SF doesn't get too hot in the summer. Might even use them once or twice!

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
    In the market for an E90 M3

Quote Originally Posted by CkDedmon View Post

Check out this thread from post 219 to 230 for some info on changing the seat temp settings.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...post1066051231

Quote Originally Posted by MrMaico View Post
    Check out this thread from post 219 to 230 for some info on changing the seat temp settings.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...post1066051231
    Thanks for posting that link. I had found something similar: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...t=heated+seats but it didn't have specific instructions. I was going to contact the person that did it for details if I found my seats didn't get warm enough.

Edit: Dropped the car off at the shop this morning.
    Last edited by NorCalZman; 03-19-2014 at 08:14 AM.

Update: wire kit install was finished and the elements were tested and they work as of yesterday so its official, the elements this guy sells do work.

Upholstry guy called to tell me he was putting the seats together this morning. He had some concerns about using all the hog rings that are there usually to secure the leather on the seat because he feels like he would cut wires inside the heating elements which he is worried would cause the elements to not work. He wants to move forward but not use hog rings in places where he thinks that might cut wires. The risk here is that my leather is more loose than it was before. I guess we will see when I pick the car up tonight.
    Last edited by NorCalZman; 03-20-2014 at 09:05 AM.

I hear the hog rings are pure evil. Hopefully his solution is better.

In the market for an E90 M3

Quote Originally Posted by Avetiso View Post
    I hear the hog rings are pure evil. Hopefully his solution is better.

+1

Yes they are

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast