Quote Originally Posted by LivesNearCostco View Post
I decided time to get some stubby hex sockets (allen sockets) for brakes (7mm) and differential/transmission drain and fill plugs (8mm, 14mm, and/or 17mm, depending on year and model). I'd used my regular Harbor Freight hex sockets for the ZHP and the E36 transmission takes a regular socket for the drain/fill plugs. But my HF sockets were too long to use on the E36 diff, especially the fill plug which is up by the spare tire well. You can fit the socket in there but not the ratchet.

Removing rear caliper pins is somewhat inconvenient on E46 and very difficult on E36 because the rear shocks get in the way, more so on the E36.

When I rented a lift the shop owner took a 14mm socket (probably also from HF) and punched out the center 14mm hex part, which I could then insert in the drain/fill plugs and turn with a 14mm box wrench. Another solution is put a 14pmm box or 8mm box around the business end of the 14mm/7mm socket and use that to turn it, but then you can't insert it fully into the drain plug. And an 8mm box wrench is too short to give much leverage on the caliper pins.

So I ordered a set off eBay for $18.50 + tax (free shipping) that includes 8mm, 14mm, 17mm, and a few other sizes but unfortunately not 7mm. Of course as soon as I paid for it, O'Reilly Auto Parts sends me a sales flyer that has a nice set of shubby hex sockets on sale for $15 (normally $17). It includes the 7mm needed for brake caliper pins. Oh well, buyer's remorse.

What do y'all do for differential fill plug and rear brake caliper pins?
when i do pads, i don't even use those. i just take the caliper off using the 16mm bolts or whatever that hold it onto it's bracket. i find it was easier to remove and put back lol for the drain/fill plugs i just used one that i made lol i just dremeled down the hex key i had to whatever length i needed and put a socket on it lol