Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Xenon takes a while to light up.

So i have ZKW headlights on my car. They were working fine until a week ago and i noticed the passenger one is out. Few minutes of driving it came on and stayed on for the whole trip. Same thing was happening everyday and last night, this time passenger one came on right away and the drivers side came on few minutes later. Its been doing that back and forth. Today they both wouldnt work but drivers side comes on after couple times of turning off and on the switch. New Bulbs were put in less than a month ago. Could it be the ballasts or ignitors? Switch itself maybe? Is there something wrong with the whole system? I heard bad ground to rr taillamp could cause this? Any help would be super. My ZKWs bowls are shot anyways and at this point, i am wishing for just simple halogens haha! Thanks so much.

Since it's happening on both sides, you should look at common things between the sides. Check ground points, make sure the wiring is good and undamaged. If you can score a spare cheap LCM, then you can try to swap that in to see if the issue subsides.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

I see. Thanks for the advice. As for the ground points, where would those be? and I've been searching for LCM's and the ones for halogens are much cheaper. Would those work for xenon cars as well?

Today, they lit up right away. I've read somewhere that old igniters in cold climate will act up do what i described (It has been "cold" recently in southern california . I will look into them if the problem persists.

Quote Originally Posted by wookim.design View Post
    I see. Thanks for the advice. As for the ground points, where would those be? and I've been searching for LCM's and the ones for halogens are much cheaper. Would those work for xenon cars as well?
    Not sure on the ground points without referencing a manual... which I can't find at the moment.

Today, they lit up right away. I've read somewhere that old igniters in cold climate will act up do what i described (It has been "cold" recently in southern california . I will look into them if the problem persists.
    Cold? Pfft. Call me when your temps reach negative-Fahrenheit levels.
    My Xenons have never had an issue firing in extreme cold before and they're original at 11 years old. I don't think that's the case for you either since it isn't nearly cold enough there for them to have these issues due to temperature. Of course, that's my take on it, and it could still be possible I suppose.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

I'm with BP on this one. Usually a blown ignitor or ballast stays on the failed side.

If you are having intermittent problems on both sides, look for points of commonality. Grounds, fuses, switch.

With that being said, your problems are eerily similar to what I had on my car. Regardless of weather, one side (i forget which) would fail to light intermittently. Replaced that ballast and all was good. Could be coincidental that both ballasts are going south on you at the same time. Possible, but not probable.