Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Why the ZHP's Replacement is Italian

First off-- don't worry-- I'm not selling the ZHP. But as my friends know, I've been on the hunt for something to supplement her and take over primary duties going forward.

Two reasons I wanted something new: 1) I've been in the ZHP for over 7 years now and was looking for an updated ride; 2) I want to keep the miles down a bit on ol' Jersey Graphite so she lasts in this world longer than I do.

My search involved tons of research, lots of test drives, and lots of text message exchanges with Marc (zhpnsnv), who is an invaluable voice of reason emanating from a brain of extensive car love and knowledge. I drove the BMW stable-- M235i, M2401, 3 series including the 340i, 4 series... I drove the Jaguar XE, the Porsche Macan, Audi A4/5...

At the end of the day, while I came across some nice interiors, intoxicating power, and modern gadgets, I was left with the undeniable conclusion that none of them drove as well as my 12 year old BMW. So the search continued. Until...

The car caught my eye immediately-- and she kept popping up in every article. She was at the top of Car and Driver's entry luxury car ranking. The Alfa Romeo Giulia.

I read up on the early reliability stumbles and software glitches. I read about the terrible lease support from the manufacturer. Ultimately, I pushed her out of my head and resumed the search.

But I kept coming back. I found myself watching the videos-- loving the exterior-- enamored with the interior design. So I finally went and took one for a drive. And what a drive it was. She was an absolute blast to drive, and-- truly-- the first car to put a smile on my face like the ZHP. I told myself that the lease wasn't worth it, but a week later I was back to drive her again-- and this time I wouldn't leave without her.

As I sit here 1K miles later, I am convinced that the Giulia is the modern equivalent of the ZHP. When you look at her on paper-- there's nothing special about her (sound familiar?). But, man, when you put all of those non-special parts together, she just makes you giddy. She's comfortable on the long drive, but eagerly rises to the task when you aggressively hit the twisties. She turns heads like the ZHP. You get the distinct feel when you look at her, sit in her, and drive her, that she was designed by people who LOVE driving and made a car for themselves as much as the company would allow.

At the end of the day, I'll borrow a long-held ZHP description to describe my new Italian love-- she's greater than the sum of her parts.

Name:  20170909_154840.jpg
Views: 756
Size:  559.0 KBName:  20170909_155152.jpg
Views: 841
Size:  664.3 KBName:  20170909_155056.jpg
Views: 845
Size:  657.4 KB
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

That's awesome KG. Congrats. I've been trying to sell Morgan on one of these for a while. As well as a Maserati.

Sent from my S8+
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Congrats! They are great looking and sounding cars from the few I've seen.

Congrats! Love your story. More pics!!
    --Wes--

04 330i ZHP Oxford Green/Natural Brown
    04 330Ci ZHP Silvergrey/Alcantara (RIP)

I love it sir!!

Every time I see one of these driving I always stare a little extra longer. I love the fully loaded ones with all the goodies, interiors look nice, and if they are lowered I guarantee they would look unreal.
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP - BMWP brakes/intake/strut bar/shifter, Coby wraps interior, BBS CHs, Eagle Eye LED tails, LED fog lights, GC coilovers, Sprint Booster/sport button mod, 4.5 LCM w/ programming, Xtrons 9inch HU, BSW stg1, dynamat, M3 sedan dead pedal, oCarbon CF interior trim, CF seat backs, 2x2 CF MTECH2 diffuser, CF cabin filter cover

I've been keeping my eye on this. The Quadrifoglio looks mighty impressive, but the regular version seems to hit the right balance. 280HP/306 ft-lb torque seems like a pretty good spot for a modern day ZHP too.

I was thinking this might be the best modern replacement. Out of BMW's current line-up, I'm only interested in the i8 and 2 series. Have any more thoughts to share on what's missing in the 2 series?

Quote Originally Posted by holyc0w View Post
    I was thinking this might be the best modern replacement.
    It's had a lot of great press, but has exhibited the all-too-familiar AR reliability issues. Here's hoping the warranty & local dealer keep KG's on the road!
    2006 330ci ZHP - Silbergrau Metallic / Stoff Laser/Anthrazit / Alu Black Cube trim / Adaptive Xenon headlights / HK hi-fi system / heated front seats

Quote Originally Posted by holyc0w View Post
    I've been keeping my eye on this. The Quadrifoglio looks mighty impressive, but the regular version seems to hit the right balance. 280HP/306 ft-lb torque seems like a pretty good spot for a modern day ZHP too.

I was thinking this might be the best modern replacement. Out of BMW's current line-up, I'm only interested in the i8 and 2 series. Have any more thoughts to share on what's missing in the 2 series?
    I crossed shopped a M240/M228 against Scarlett and Scarlett won because:

1) Better overall driving dynamics. Sure the M240i had a beast of an engine, but it felt heavy and lumbering at time.

2) Back seat. Sure the 2-series has a back seat, but we're talking a pre-teen or smaller child can fit... not my 6 foot tall high school senior daughter.

3) Trunk

So practicality and fun factor won... and perhaps a Giulia is on my list in a few years when all the kids are finally out of the house.
    "Scarlett" driven by Wisco (His)
    2005 BMW 330i Imola Red/Black Leather ZHP | 6MT
    MFactory 3.46 Helical LSD | Bilstein PSS | UUC Corsa TSE3

"The Girl with No Name" driven by Mrs. Wisco (Hers)
    2006 BMW 330Ci Imola Red/Sand Beige Leather ZHP | 6MT
    Box Stock

2007 e90 Black/Terra Leather SOLD
    2016 Honda Pilot (The family SUV)

Congrats Keith. I wouldn't have even thought about that one. Glad you did!

Looking forward to updates.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast