Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sockethead View Post
    Have you checked the vacuum hose that connects to the fuel filter?
    Quote Originally Posted by ELCID86 View Post
    Both ends (top connects to the F-connect --be careful not to break it...)
    Both hoses on the F-connectr have been replaced. I have not inspected the other end of the fuel filter line... i am assuming it is on the fuel filter behind the glove box?
    Quote Originally Posted by SaltyNC View Post
    With all the other things you've replaced, you've probably already done this, but have you replaced the air filter?
    I replaced almost everything after buying this car, including air filters.
    My new theory is that I need to do the vanos job. All my symptoms match up with typical leaky vanos symptoms:
    Overall loss of torque and power, particularly in the lower RPM range. Intermittent bogging on cold start. Uneven power distribution and RPM transition. Engine hesitations in the lower RPM range (sometimes I will be driving in first gear, apply throttle, rpms will increase but car does not speed up, feels like a turbo lag!). Louder idle and intermittent idle RPM hiccups. Increased fuel consumption.
    What do you guys think? I'm pretty set on getting the Beisan o-ring and antirattle kit at this point. Only thing that has stopped me from doing it yet is the fact that I JUST did my VCG.

yea, it needs to be done at some point, might as well get it out of the way. No worries with the valve cover gasket, you can reuse it.
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

I'd still check the vacuum line down by the fuel filter first though...
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

yea, it needs to be done at some point, might as well get it out of the way. No worries with the valve cover gasket, you can reuse it.
    That's good to know. I mean it was done less than 500 miles ago.
    I'd still check the vacuum line down by the fuel filter first though...
    I'll give it a look sometime next week. Finally getting her detailed tomorrow

In terms of vanos rebuild kit, does anyone know a reliable source other than Beisan or Dr. Vanos? $120 for the seals and antirattle kit, although a very good investment, seems like too much for a small handfull of rubber and metal. I saw ECS is doing a rebuild kit that also includes the vanos-cylinder head gasket, crush washers, and the plastic piston plugs, $124.

The guy at Beisan knows all there is to know about the VANOS I think that's one advantage you get with him.
    If you have a problem, he knows how to fix it. After my last rebuild, I got a code for a stuck exhaust camshaft and he told me in great detail exactly how to fix it. I doubt the guys at ECS are going to have intimate knowledge of the VANOS
    H&R sport springs,

That seems to be what a lot of people are saying; that and the viton o-rings actually have a different material core which prevents the viton from getting compressed and for the seal to lose its seal. I guess I can also be safe in knowing I am getting a high quality product and not some knock-off

They say that if you use premium gas as opposed to midgrade you will get better gas mileage which will make up for the extra cost of premium. I decided to test that theory. I ran a tank of midgrade and then a tank of premium and did the math. Here are my results:

MPG with Midgrade 24.08
    MPG with Premium 24.2

Cost of Midgrade 3.12
    Cost of Premium 3.24

MPG difference 0.5 %
    Cost difference 4%

This test shows Midgrade gas is more cost effective in my zhp.
    Last edited by Dave1027; 02-23-2018 at 09:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by papa_g View Post
    That seems to be what a lot of people are saying; that and the viton o-rings actually have a different material core which prevents the viton from getting compressed and for the seal to lose its seal. I guess I can also be safe in knowing I am getting a high quality product and not some knock-off
    Raj at Beisan pioneered the VANOS fixes, so I like to support the guy that came up with the solution, not the company copying it. Nothing against ECS, but just a preference. And as Sockethead said, Raj is great for support.

Good luck. Hopefully the VANOS is it. Either way, it's something that eventually needs to be done, so nothing lost.

Salty
    __________________________________________________ _____
    2005 BMW 330Ci ZHP Jet Black/Black with aluminum cube
    Bone stock at the moment

What MPG are you getting??

When I was rebuilding my Vanos with the Beisan Systems upgrades I had a question and called Rajae on Sunday. I was planning to just leave a message but he picked up. He was walking into Disneyland with his family and answered the phone to assist me. Excellent customer service!
    BAV Stage 1 - BlueBus - UltraGauge - V1 - Orion V4's - ARC-8's - Brembo 996
    TTFS Engine/SMG Tune/CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri
    VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - OE CSL Trunk - BWS 500S 9k/11k

Just emailed him to learn some more about the product and explain my situation.

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast