Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Amazon Link for ZHPMafia ZHP
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quaife LSD?

Thanks for the info, Marcus.

De nada, amigo.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike V View Post
    Marcus, did you have a shop install the LSD into your 335 case?
    If you do need to have a shop install the LSD in the stock carrier - make sure you can either:
    (a) get new side bearings for the diff
    or
    (b) take great care in removing the stock side bearings so you can reuse them

Also, make sure that the item you are looking at really is compatible with the ZHP. When I was looking around a couple of years ago, a lot of options fit the non-ZHP diff only (I do not know what the difference is, quite frankly).

I ended up with a unit from Turner that was supposed to use the stock bearings, only I didn't really pay attention to that detail when I gave it to the shop to do. I had read that the e36 bearings would be a fit (since you can not, apparently, get stock replacements anywhere), so I ordered a set of those e36's as replacements instead. Well, the shop damaged the stock side bearings getting them off (thinking they'd just use the e36 bearings). Well, wouldn't you know - but it doesn't work quite as planned!

In my case, we had to reuse the stock outer races and make the e36 bearings fit in those races (its lucky that the sizes in these dimensions match). It took a lot of measuring and ordering of custom shims to get the clearances right with those bearings. Its run fine ever since - but for a while there I was REALLY nervous that I had just nuked my diff with no way to fix it other than ordering a new one!

Maybe part availability has gotten better in the last 2 years. I hope so - it was impossible to get those stock bearings - I called around everywhere.

Hope you have way better luck!

Great info, thanks! And welcome to the site.

From my research the quaife is a great LSD for street use, but not really designed for heavy track/race use. Not sure if this is becuase of strength or the design of it. So depends on your end use.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12