Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2004 5-speed auto vs 6-speed manual?

I searched for any threads on the 2004 5-speed auto but couldn't find anything specific on the differences between it and the 6-speed manual. I prefer manual by a landslide but right now I may have no choice but to "settle" for the auto.

From anyone who has owned one, can you describe the pros/cons, and does the tranny feel responsive and timely or is it pretty much like most auto vs manuals? Fuel consumption, weight/handling, reliability, etc., etc.?

Are there any other performance differences or otherwise?

Seems weird they even made a 5-speed auto... ZHP...

Thanks!
    __________________________________________________ ____
    2003 ZHP 4dr | 145,000 miles (ACTUAL before RIP) | BBS 17"
    Hankook Ventus V12
    Front: 225/45ZR
    Rear: 255/40ZR-17 Hankook Ventus V12 evo2 XL
    [ Staggered on square (17x8.5 +38) ]

So haven driven both and eventually going to an M3 I would urge you not to settle if you want a manual. I wanted a manual, settled for the auto, and sold for a manual M3 because I always wanted the manual driving experience. The auto in the ZHP isn't amazing but it is a great auto. With a tune it is snappy, shifts are smooth but not quick like a DCT. It will get worse gas mileage and won't be as engaging as the manual. You have the option of installing paddle shifters to help if that's something you'd want but still not a manual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't 'settle' if you have a preference. The auto is fine for certain reasons (I have one) but the driving experience is completely different.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Quote Originally Posted by Pip View Post
    So haven driven both and eventually going to an M3 I would urge you not to settle if you want a manual. I wanted a manual, settled for the auto, and sold for a manual M3 because I always wanted the manual driving experience. The auto in the ZHP isn't amazing but it is a great auto. With a tune it is snappy, shifts are smooth but not quick like a DCT. It will get worse gas mileage and won't be as engaging as the manual. You have the option of installing paddle shifters to help if that's something you'd want but still not a manual.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnrando View Post
    Don't 'settle' if you have a preference. The auto is fine for certain reasons (I have one) but the driving experience is completely different.
    Ok ya I was afraid of that. Let me run by a couple of points.....

Does the auto-version demand higher or lower price? I would personally pay less even though "technically" an auto-tran should cost more right.

What if I can get this 2004 5-speed auto version with 157k on it down to like $4k (as long as it is really clean)...
    Then take my time looking for the one I want... then at least I still drive a "similar" car , not getting ripped off by a rental or insurance, thus minimizing my losses and not feeling pressure to sell or buy right away?

Because from what you guys are saying, it seems it is clear that I will not like the auto-5.

BTW how much can installing paddle-shifters cost?
    Hankook Ventus V12

Paddle shift mod is not hard. I have it. We have a detailed DIY on our site. You need a wiring kit (or make one), an M3 SMG steering wheel, and the clock spring. I'd guess $250 to $400 depending on the wheel.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Quote Originally Posted by johnrando View Post
    Paddle shift mod is not hard. I have it. We have a detailed DIY on our site. You need a wiring kit (or make one), an M3 SMG steering wheel, and the clock spring. I'd guess $250 to $400 depending on the wheel.
    Hmm interesting, might be something for later if I get this... that will at least be a halfway solution, miles better than an automatic I think. Thanks!
    Hankook Ventus V12

I dont think I actually posted the link:

https://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/cto/6073173462.html

The guy didnt send me photos yet of the dash but the steering wheel and the rest does look like a ZHP. Is $4500 fair for that? I think an automatic is an "upgrade" technically isn't it, but to me it's a downgrade so it's a tough call. If it is all in great working order requiring no repairs right now, I think low $4000's is something I will be ok with.
    Hankook Ventus V12

Not sure this car is "really clean" but it could do in a pinch. You'd have to search for oil leaks and ask more details about history and check it carefully. Take a mafia brother with you to go check it out.
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Oli77 View Post
    Not sure this car is "really clean" but it could do in a pinch. You'd have to search for oil leaks and ask more details about history and check it carefully. Take a mafia brother with you to go check it out.
    Haha mafia brother.... well I'm ditching it, it doesn't sound right and he raised the price on the title to $5k now even tho it still says $4500 in the details, and he is not responding to my texts anymore. Not buying an already uncertain piece from this kinda venue. I'm hoping one of my clients just loans me or rents me her extra Porsche which she wanted to sell or trade anyways, fingers crossed.
    Hankook Ventus V12

I have an Auto. Its an 04 with 107k miles for $7500. Pretty sure I couldn't find a manual in that price/mileage ran so I jumped on it and I have no regrets. It was BMW tech maintained, driven by his wife and clean AF after a weekend of loving. While sometimes, I do wish I could do some aggressive heel-toe downshifting, I figured I could always swap in the 6 speed in the future. Im just happy to own one of the better ultimate driving machines
    Last edited by JPMo; 05-07-2017 at 09:46 AM.

2004 Titansilber Metallic BMW 330i ZHP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast