Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by kayger12 View Post
    No doubt-- when they're right they're tight, and when they're off they're a handful. In this case they didn't say everything was fine, only that the shocks weren't blown and that there were no suspension components that needed to be replaced. They said the alignment was a train wreck and that that was what was making her a mess to drive. The handling issues are gone and she feels good again. What I felt as slop was tied to the tires basically pointing in four different directions.

I know the shocks/struts are near the near the end of their life, but they're not leaking and she's not bouncing or rolling over like crazy, so, like he said, there's still some life in them. The dude has raced, is a driving instructor, and a BMW mech, so I've got no reason not to believe him.

You know the deal, sloppy handling isn't automatically shocks/struts-- could be control arms, ball joints, bushings, tie rods. In this case, I got lucky and he nailed it first shot (and was honest) without throwing a bunch of money and parts at the problem.
    Yeah, there are a lot of variables to the life of shocks/struts. My rears were completely dead when I put the Bilsteins in, but I could barely tell because all other bushings are in great shape and the cars are so stiffly sprung. Were not leaking or anything.

Glad you found an honest shop though. RRT down here is like that. I mean, they are expensive IF you do have something wrong, but they work with customers and make sure before moving forward.

Current:
    1988 BMW 325is
    1996 Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ80 x3 Locked - Restoration/Project Thread on ih8mud.com
    Sold:
    "Scarlett" the 2005 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT - Project/Maintenance Thread
    2011 BMW M3 E92 6MT - Info/Maintenance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by NoVAphotog View Post
    Yeah, there are a lot of variables to the life of shocks/struts. My rears were completely dead when I put the Bilsteins in, but I could barely tell because all other bushings are in great shape and the cars are so stiffly sprung. Were not leaking or anything.
    Bingo - sounds like the shop pronounced the shocks "ok" to the OP because they weren't leaking. Doesn't mean they aren't completely worn out. I'd bet my left nut they are completely shot. The only way you'd feel the difference is when you replace them, then it's a eureka moment.

'21 M2 Competition
    '08 Z4 M Coupé
    '19 Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
    then it's a eureka moment.
    Driving home after replacement..."oh this is how a suspension is supposed to feel"

Current:
    1988 BMW 325is
    1996 Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ80 x3 Locked - Restoration/Project Thread on ih8mud.com
    Sold:
    "Scarlett" the 2005 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT - Project/Maintenance Thread
    2011 BMW M3 E92 6MT - Info/Maintenance Thread