Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Oil light came on

So within the last two weeks I have noticed that my oil light has appeared after I turned the car off. It went away about 30 seconds later. This has happened about 3 times. I have checked the oil level in the car on a flat surface after waiting for the car to cool off. The oil level was a little on the high side, but still within an acceptable range.

So just now on my way to class my oil light came on while driving. This has never happened to me before and I know the smart thing to do would have been to immediately turn the car off. But I didn't notice anything wrong with the car. Still sounded fine, no odd smells, no increase in oil temp.

So when stopped in beltway traffic I turned off the engine and turned it back on to see if the oil light same back on. The light never came back on during the drive or after I turned it off.

Any ideas on what is going on with my car? I'm nervous about driving it but I don't want to tow it home.

Sorry if my thoughts are little sporadic, I'm trying to pretend I'm paying attention to my professor (I'm in class)

LG Revolution + Tapatalk
    2005 Jet Black 6MT ZHP "Family First"
    ~Rob~

Bad sensor. Change at next oil change. Easy diy.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Bad sensor. Change at next oil change. Easy diy.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Is this a common problem with the e46? Is it something I have to wait to change the oil to replace?

Edit: seems to happen every so often. I guess if I know that my oil level is ok and the yellow oil light comes on I shouldn't worry too much. Red is a different story.

LG Revolution + Tapatalk
    Last edited by Newjack; 11-01-2011 at 03:23 PM.
    ~Rob~

It's going to drain your oil as it resides in the bottom of the oil pan. Yes...it is a common failure part. BRB with a link.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    It's going to drain your oil as it resides in the bottom of the oil pan. Yes...it is a common failure part. BRB with a link.
    Thanks Dane.

LG Revolution + Tapatalk
    ~Rob~

Hey Newjack. It must be a MD thing, since mine did this the other day. Checked the oil about seven minutes after I turned the car off and it was just fine. Right where it was three weeks ago. (On a side note, it's nice to drive a car that doesn't leak like an incontinent elderly person) My first suspicion was the sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by llll1l1ll View Post
    Hey Newjack. It must be a MD thing, since mine did this the other day. Checked the oil about seven minutes after I turned the car off and it was just fine. Right where it was three weeks ago. (On a side note, it's nice to drive a car that doesn't leak like an incontinent elderly person) My first suspicion was the sensor.
    I can relate to leaking oil. My old Ford was starting to burn through half a quart in a months time.

LG Revolution + Tapatalk
    ~Rob~

Hahaha yeah the E30 was just as bad - though it didn't burn it.

Quote Originally Posted by llll1l1ll View Post
    Hahaha yeah the E30 was just as bad - though it didn't burn it.
    Leaky e30 ftw.
    Last edited by Johnmadd; 11-01-2011 at 07:43 PM. Reason: autospell.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast