Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by pyreguy View Post
    To be fair, I was oversimplifying my reasons. Mine are the same as everyone else who buy a performance-packaged car. I wanted the performance and the looks. To me they are equally important. I was actually looking at changing the wheels for something lighter as soon as I got the car, but talked myself out of it because these wheels are so unique. Even though they are on the heavy side, they are made by BBS and very strong and they just belong on the ZHP if that makes sense.
    That, and lighter wheels really won't make much of a difference if you're just driving around on the street. The fuel economy difference and speed difference will be so negligible that it just isn't worth spending money on an entirely different set just to screw around on the street because you'll never gets your money's worth. For looks, that's a different story, and if you want a different set of wheels for the looks, then you might as well get lighter ones if you're going to be buying another set anyway.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

^agreed
    Lance
    Autobahn South
    S/ASH
    My car finds your lack of faith disturbing

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    That, and lighter wheels really won't make much of a difference if you're just driving around on the street. The fuel economy difference and speed difference will be so negligible that it just isn't worth spending money on an entirely different set just to screw around on the street because you'll never gets your money's worth. For looks, that's a different story, and if you want a different set of wheels for the looks, then you might as well get lighter ones if you're going to be buying another set anyway.
    Wrong. I ran my car with DS2s and crappy light-ish tires (~43.5lb each corner) and my fuel mileage improved 2.5mpg and the car was much snapier. The fact that I did not have to get into it with the gas pedal so much every time I stopped I'm sure helped the fuel mileage.

Typically, what you're saying is true, but BMW wheels in general (especially zhp wheels) are piggy heavy; let me lay down some numbers.

OEM ZHP Wheel Weight:

Rear= 28.5lbs x 2
    Front= 27.8lbs x 2

Wheel weight= 112.6lbs

Tire Weights (Star Spec)

225/40/18= 25lbs
    255/35/28= 27lbs

Tire weight= 104lbs

Total weight= 215.6lbs
    Each front wheel= 52.8lbs
    Each rear wheel= 55.5lbs

A lightweight setup

Apex ARC-8 18x9" Square= 18lbs each
    Wheel weight = 72lbs

Continental DW/Michelin PS2 235/40/18= 22lbs each
    Tire Weight= 88lbs

Total lightweight setup= 160lbs
    Each wheel/tire= 40lbs

That is a savings of 54.6lbs, or the equivalent of 546lbs off of the car by the most extreme rotational weight calculations.

Lightest setup:

Kosei K1/Apex ARC-8 17x8.5"= 16lbs each
    Wheel weight= 64lbs

Michelin PS2 245/40/17= 22lbs each
    Tire weight= 88lbs
    Each wheel/tire= 38lbs

Total weight = 154lbs

Savings of 61.6lbs, or the equivalent of 616lbs off the car.
    I read in a couple places that 100lbs off the car can be a 10th off your 0-60, so potentially this could be up to six tenths off (obviously not), but take that for what you will.

I will add that this cheap setup costs ~$1200 less shipping on tire rack, which is very tempting to me.
    - Derek

Quote Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
    Savings of 61.6lbs, or the equivalent of 616lbs off the car.
    I read in a couple places that 100lbs off the car can be a 10th off your 0-60, so potentially this could be up to six tenths off (obviously not), but take that for what you will.
    I just happened to have a set of Kosei K1s which I had on the car for about a week when I first bought them (they are technically my track-only set). I made a trip which I make every Friday, same route, same time, same conditions. Fuel economy was the same. No change in driving habit. The same goes for my weekly commute to work.

You can throw numbers at me all you want, reality -> math. There definitely is not a 6/10ths difference in acceleration you claim, which draws the calculations into question. The first time I read those calculations posted up somewhere, I immediately called BS on it, based soley on a feeling that it isn't that simple. When I tried this little experiment with the Kosei's, I proved it to myself. Don't really know if anyone will take this with any weight, but that is the only experience I have and it goes against the calculations. That is all...
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345