Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 13 of 56 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by derbo View Post
    Very nice spreadsheet! :D

I made one for my car too but probably not as detailed as yours. I did hide the costs in there but it is present.. I color coded and separated the maintenance, services, parts for breakdown for costs.

I'll eventually add a color scheme to mine to separate maintenance (few categories), detailing, tools, mods, suspension, etc. I'm still on a tight budget so showing the cost is needed for me as a reminder. Otherwise, I would have bought a few mods by now, and wouldn't have money on deck if something goes wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by GotZHP View Post
    I'll eventually add a color scheme to mine to separate maintenance (few categories), detailing, tools, mods, suspension, etc. I'm still on a tight budget so showing the cost is needed for me as a reminder. Otherwise, I would have bought a few mods by now, and wouldn't have money on deck if something goes wrong.
    The worse part is when the money factor doesn't even phase you even when it's ok the spreadsheet.

I have a date vs mileage trend chart on the bottom too.

Sneak preview of what is to come. Still resizing photos and naming them.

This is why i decided to do a whole coolant flush!!!!! BMW coolant is suppose to be tinted blue! not brown and oily.

This is what came out f the expansion tank!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Lol. Thts ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerTater View Post
    Lol. Thts ridiculous.
    Yeah dude. Absolutely disgusting. Going to swap out transmission fluid and brake fluid soon as well. I am sure their state will be just as dismal.

Ok, so old news first. Replaced the intake manifold gasket a month ago or so. I took a lot of photos, but most of them came out pretty poor. Was using my cellphone camera in full sun, with a partial shadow from the hood of the car. Not good conditions for a less than camera. Here a few that came out well (enough).

Pictured is the old oil / air separator and a rather large and obvious oil spot on the side of the block right below the unit. It was too high and too far over to be the oil filter housing gasket. At the time of this work, the OFHG had a very very minor leak coming from the lower right corner of the unit.

Also pictured is a random piece of plastic found covered in oil and grim on the block nestled in a nook. Removing the dipstick is part of the process, and I found a huge piece of debris lodged in the base of mine :/ I've since done the OFHG and an oil change.

Few other photos from replacing the manifold gasket and CCV. I was planning on doing a DIY with a lot of photos, but since most of them came out poorly, I will most likely just do a detailed step by step write up.

Pictured here is removing the spark plug wires, removing O2 sensors, bleeding the fuel rail pressure, and then removing the fuel rail.

The fuel rail was the most intimidating part of this job. I have never messed around with any part fuel related before on any of my vehicles, so I was a bit nervous. The rail detaches from the injectors quiet easily, however, I could not get the rail detached from the fuel line. It has a weird connection that is in a very tight spot, which is blind for the most part. I just set it aside and had a decent amount of room to work around it.

It did get in the way a little when putting the manifold back in place, but all in all, it is not necessary to remove the rail completely. I pictured the Schrader valve as well. There was practically no pressure when I went to bleed it, but be ready for a fair amount of fuel to dump out of the rail when you pull it from the injectors. It was way more than I anticipated. Makes sure you have great ventilation and no source of ignition at this step.

Few more photos for your viewing pleasure

Picture of the fuel rail off to the side and the manifold coming off. I had an extra set of hands at this moment which was great. The intake manifold is kind of bulky and can get snagged easily. There is also a hose connected to the bottom, which has a crimp clamp holding it in place. My friend held the manifold up for me while I cut the hose. I replaced all of my vacuum lines while doing this, and had already replaced the F-connector. I highly recommend replacing as many parts as possible when it comes to air intake and vacuum while doing this. It makes uninstall easier because you can just cut the hoses free. Get some vacuum line on hand and as you remove a line, cut a new one.

I was able to obtain some vacuum hose in 3 different sizes for free from my local autopart store. I asked if they had any scraps, which they did. Vacuum line is dirt cheap, but I save 5-10 bucks which is cool.

I also ended up breaking out the old CCV components. The plastic will most likely be very brittle and will probably break anyways, so save yourself some time, and just break them as you go along. Be careful not to break anything on the manifold, excessive force is not needed to get the old CCV parts to break.

Also pictured, A LOT of oil in and around the ports!!! The small ports is where the Idle Control Valve feeds air into the block. My car had extremely poor idle and oil in the ICV ports was a big contributor.

IMO, it is well worth the time to remove the intake manifold to replace the CCV. It gives you an opportunity to inspect the condition of many items along the way (Vacuum lines, Injectors, O2 sensors, wires, etc.) and it is a good opportunity to clean the block up some if your oil leak make it a mess.

Last photo is of the block with the manifold removed. The only other part of the job that I was worried about was all the electrical connectors! There are more than a handful to disconnect and reconnect. They are all keyed however, and only one or two could possible get mixed up. There is one connection down low behind the intake manifold, don't forget to reconnect it! Also helps to have an extra set of hands at this part.

Cleaned the block up fairly well at this time, only to have it get covered in oil from my worsening OFHG.

It took a solid two days to do this job while taking photos and dealing with other life things. Could be done in a day if started early enough. I ended up starting on a Sunday, not being able to finish, borrowing my GFs car for the work week, and finished the following Saturday. It may seem like a challenging maintenance task, but it was easy enough for me to read my notes and reinstall a week later with no hitches.

Ill do a detailed write up to share with everyone, but in the meantime feel free to PM me or post here if you have questions or plan on tackling this yourself!!

Pretty disappointed with the phone photos recently :/ Time for a new one. I have an iPhone 6 + through work which I used for replacing the water pump and the photos are much nicer.

Anyways, more old news. Few photos from replacing the Oil Filter Housing Gasket. Was a pretty easy job, just took a lot of work to get to the gasket. YOu need to disconnect the battery, remove fan & shroud, remove air intake components, remove alternator, and a few more steps. I bought a second gasket to have just in case something went wrong with the re-install, but it went fairly smooth. Got really sun burnt working on the car this weekend. I also replaced the tensioner pulley while I was in there. It is a good time to replace pulleys and belts while you are replacing the filter. I knew i had a pulley with a spent bearing, and was fairly certain it was the tensioner, but I was wrong. It was the deflection pulley, so that was swapped as well.

Man, I need a work space or garage and not a parking lot to do all this maintenance.

A few photos that actually came out ok. Remember to draw or photo graph yours belts before removing!

Page 13 of 56 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast